sams255

Remanufactured Turbo Vs New (F10/F11)

Has anyone had to replace a turbo on their F10/F11 if so what did they go for new of remanufactured/Recon ?  at some point hopefully way in the future i know that my turbo will have to be replaced. I have heard of people fitting Remanufactured or Recon turbos to their cars.  Just wanted to know what the general feeling it out there

Have owned 3 diesel cars and not one has ever required a turbo replacement. Currently own a 2006 Toyota Verso which has required no work whatsoever in all the 200k miles it’s covered. 

However, should the turbo ever require replacement I’d easily go OEM, simply for the peace of mind it offers. No point tearing the engine apart only to find the refurbished turbo blows up a week later! Just my opinion...

I have never changed a turbo on my cars either. My golf mk4 did 250k on original clutch amd turbo. 

I went to see the indy and had some oil misting checked out. He said that BMW need to changed turbos around every 100k as thwy are constantly spinning. I have never owned a bmw before so i dont know. I thought if my problem gets worse then i might need a turbo.

I looked online and it is an eye watering amount for a new one. Some companies can rebuild your turbo for a couple of hundred pounds.

The E39 oil burners were known for turbo failures, but it appears that the ones fitted to the E60 were far better.  I'm not aware of many E60 turbos failing so with the F10 applying the same logic, should be fairly sound provided they are looked after for A big mileage.

Regular oil changes and allowing the engine to idle after a run to ensure good cool oil keeps the bearings healthy is what you want to do.

He says fingers crossed as this is the first car I've owned with a turbo.:blink:

I had a turbo failure on my E60 520D at around 120k, it had a full BMW service history but no idea how it had been treated. It was under an aftermarket warranty but think the bill was around £1800 at local dealer and I have a feeling that may have been a refurbished turbo fitted but ran perfectly fine after that until I traded it in.

There's nothing wrong with turbo rebuilds done by a professional company that know what they're doing. The issues arise when companies use cheap parts in their rebuilt turbos. Personally I would never go with just buying a cheap turbo core from eBay and putting it in the existing housing or getting the cheapest rebuild you can. BMW and the likes don't make their own turbos, they all come from other manufacturers such as Garrett, Borg Warner, KKK, IHI, Mitsubishi etc. 

That said the turbo manufacturers don't always get it right - the KKK turbos used in some of the VW engines until they got their act together and switched to Garrett had a habit of splitting the shaft down the middle and throwing the compressor wheel into the housing. These things will spin 150,000 RPM upwards depending on the demand at the time, they are real precision pieces of engineering. 

Some turbos will throw their hand in early, some whine as the bearings begin to fail, some just one day go pop at 50,000 miles. Others will still be going strong at 200,000 miles. Look after them with regular oil changes, don't boot them from cold (they really don't like that) and let them cool down properly if you've been on a motorway for a long time or been driving the car hard. The amount of people I see in motorway service stations that come in off the motorway and just switch straight off makes me cringe a little - an extra minute to just let everything cool down really does make a difference. 

If you want a point of reference for the future, send me your reg on last 7 digits of your VIN in a private message on here and I'll let you know a price for a new unit and a price for refurbishing your existing one. You might be amazed at the difference in price between buying a new one from a dealer and one from a supplier! 

Edited by Mashed Potatoes

On ‎03‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 12:08 PM, Mashed Potatoes said:

Look after them with regular oil changes, don't boot them from cold (they really don't like that) and let them cool down properly if you've been on a motorway for a long time or been driving the car hard. The amount of people I see in motorway service stations that come in off the motorway and just switch straight off makes me cringe a little - an extra minute to just let everything cool down really does make a difference. 

Yes but I guess the dealers wouldn't sell any cars if they had to tell everybody that when they bought them.

I had a new petrol Mitsubishi Turbo in the 80s, and I followed that to the letter. Oil changes were mandated every 5,000km (a little over 3,000 miles) as well. Of course oil quality has improved a lot since then, and oh did I mention turbo lag ?? :o