gbrownings

Never expected to see this.....!

100k.thumb.jpg.11f1d0e0cef66b1d0a4204a39eec7848.jpg 

Just ticked over the 100k mark.

Bought in 2006 with around 33k on the clock. Thought about selling it many times as I hardly use it BUT cannot bring myself to do it. What would I buy to replace a car that has never missed a beat in 12 years and that I still enjoy driving as much as the day I picked it up from BMW Vines at Crawley for £23,000 more than a decade ago? 

Upgraded a few things over the years (TV and satnav) but it is pretty much as it left the factory. It still has an original Motorola phone, glove box torch and 1st Aid kit!

Thanks to my gentle driving (most of the time!) it is still happily running on its original clutch and suspension and I have had no major mechanical issues. (Sod's law something will happen now!)

The biggest expense over the years has been having the wheels refurbished at Lepsons (x3) as I am a bit of an anorak on that front. Got to have perfect wheels!

Bodywork not so perfect but pretty good with no rust other than a few bubbles in the petrol filling area and they were there in 2006 and have not worsened over the years.

Fixed the traditional missing dashboard pixel and dodgy rear view mirror issues and replaced quite a few suspension bushes, roll bars, hoses, MAFs, but nothing major.

And thanks to people on this forum I learned recently that my M5 is unique - the only right hand drive individual black sapphire metallic car exported to the UK.

Anyway, here's to the next 100k....or will I sell it now we have passed such a landmark mileage? Hmmm

A couple of pix if anyone is remotely interested.....!

2017.jpg

IMG_20170807_121407.jpg

Thanks. If/when/if/when/if....I sell the car, I will probably offer it up first through this forum.

Not really sure what it is worth, prices seem all over the place. 

Very nice, the TV's in the headrests are a nice touch. I understand your dilemma about not wanting to sell, there are few if any alternatives around the £10k mark.

Keep it if you can, it certainly won't lose money. Prices are indeed all over, from dogs for £7k to unrealistic dealer cars for mega money - I wonder if they actually sell?!

Nothing but a babe...my last one...

SAM_0349.thumb.jpg.400fd01eda2b2ef3b705bbd433ce9298.jpg

And my current one is sitting at around 172k....

Nice interior in your car :) Looks great.... keep it and enjoy it... don't sell !!

3 hours ago, Seesure said:

Nothing but a babe...my last one...

SAM_0349.thumb.jpg.400fd01eda2b2ef3b705bbd433ce9298.jpg

And my current one is sitting at around 172k....

Nice interior in your car :) Looks great.... keep it and enjoy it... don't sell !!

Thanks. I am impressed by the mileage. How many of those did you do?

I will be pushing up daisies long before mine reaches that number, given the number of miles I drive a year!

When I don't drive it for three or four days, I think: "Sell it".

And then I go for a drive and think: "Keep it".

Procrastination is the thief of time.....:unsure:

3 hours ago, gbrownings said:

Thanks. I am impressed by the mileage. How many of those did you do?

I will be pushing up daisies long before mine reaches that number, given the number of miles I drive a year!

When I don't drive it for three or four days, I think: "Sell it".

And then I go for a drive and think: "Keep it".

Procrastination is the thief of time.....:unsure:

My first one I bought with 29k on the clock and sorn'd it with 232k, my current one I bought with 112k on the clock so between the two of them I've done around 260k in an E39  M5. ..lol further than the moon is from the earth. ..

11 minutes ago, Seesure said:

My first one I bought with 29k on the clock and sorn'd it with 232k, my current one I bought with 112k on the clock so between the two of them I've done around 260k in an E39  M5. ..lol further than the moon is from the earth. ..

:o - wow. I hope you have/had the comfort seat option!  

I have manual sport seats in my 530d. Covered 800miles in a day last year to the south of France . I was bushed but seats where not an issue. 

8 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

I have manual sport seats in my 530d. Covered 800miles in a day last year to the south of France . I was bushed but seats where not an issue. 

That's quite a journey in one day.  I think my longest was Ivybridge in Devon to North Berwick in Scotland which is around 500 miles. The rarely-used seat massage option was utilised! 

It was hard going and I wouldn't want to do it in the uk. Generally I find in France you put cruise on at 80 and an hour later you've done 80miles. Simple. 

Uk it's speed up. Slow down. Traffic. Numpties etc. Exhausting. 

6 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

It was hard going and I wouldn't want to do it in the uk. Generally I find in France you put cruise on at 80 and an hour later you've done 80miles. Simple. 

Uk it's speed up. Slow down. Traffic. Numpties etc. Exhausting. 

Agreed. I used drive quite a lot in France (wine tasting/buying). Showing my age here but at the time had a Renault Turbo 21 (great car for its day).

The only problem I found was if you were doing 80mph you soon had some idiot up your bumper flashing their lights!   Fortunately the Renault was very capable of leaving them trailing if I wanted.  Just like the M5.  :-D 

renault21turbo.jpg

14 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

Like Dunc - have the sports seats and have done over 950 miles in a day to northern Spain.

Never had any issues with comfortability, whereas I came back from Gatwick to home Tuesday night / Wednesday morning in a mates 2015 VW transporter and my back was aching by the time we got to Swindon... 

On 5/9/2018 at 10:17 PM, Seesure said:

That is some mileage in an E39 m5, fair play to you Seesure.