Calypso-E34

Any British Leyland fans here?

I came across this on eBay one day, and decided I was interested enough to buy it and have a gander. 

Its a series of promotional films, presumably for the consumption of the dealers at the time rather than the public. 

It shows all the testing they did on the likes likes of the Maxi, Marina, Allegro and such like. Makes them look like BMW!

The Maxi was ugly but useful, but the Marina?  Yuck. On all levels. 

Some stuff here here that made me laugh - you have to love the 70s!

well worth a look if you get a chance. 

9BE9C302-F00C-4F28-AC15-C9ACBC7D9113.jpeg

13157B9B-46C2-473F-B938-EC994C81ACCE.jpeg

The Marina had an excellent hand brake and the speedo was ridiculously easy to disconnect. Early ones had a slight issue with the gear lever - some pin broke and the lever would rotate as far as the glove box. You could still get the gears if your aim was good though :) Happy days

I’ve had the dubious pleasure of owning most of them briefly in my teens :lol:

Worst was the Allegro ! A friend gave us a 1750 equip back in the day because the front tie rods had come away from the chassis ! Spent about three bloody hours welding it with a borrowed arc welder and NO goggles :blink:

Anyway, two hospital visits later we got it gas welded and guess what ? A bit of ‘spirited’ driving they came away again.

Square steering wheel though was....... Umm ! Groundbreaking ! 

Also had about 7 SD1’s including two ex police. In my defence 5 of them were V8 manuals though  :lol:

10 hours ago, Milo said:

Also had about 7 SD1’s including two ex police. In my defence 5 of them were V8 manuals though  :lol:

The only BL car worth owning, the V8 ones.....

The days of 3 year old Marina's and later Morris Ital's having rotten roofs ... My mates 1982 Ital 17 HL lasted until 1984 :ph34r: 

The fake door chrome handles even  corroded on the Ital's ... Happy Days :)

Edited by Carl-e34

3 hours ago, Paddy O'Furniture said:

Let's be honest,  anything and everything remotely related to BL/Rover was utter shite.

Isn't that what the Producers of Top Gear said in the BL Challenge episode and JC and Co. set out to prove them wrong, which of course they didn't do.;)

I had a Rover Mini, which while had its charms, was indeed rubbish.

I've said this before but I would absolutely love a late model twin plenum SD1 Vitesse, don't know why but the fact that it's big and British and a V8 might have a lot to do with it. Regarding the Marinas/Itals, when I started on the mobile discos at a very young age in the late '90's a guy I did gigs with and/or for had either a Marina or Ital van, I can't remember exactly. What I do have fond memories of is being stuffed in the back because I was the smallest between a load of speakers and lights and having to hold the door shut as we went over bumps. The van was blue on the outside but BT yellow on the inside and must have been at least 14 years old at this point so how it was still going I don't know!

I had an SD1 Vitesse, a rather eye-watering green colour (Triton I think it was) Never could be classed as fast, more of a lazy mile muncher. nice car to drive though. 

My pal's dad had a Austin 3.0 Saloon, it was quickly dropped from the BL line up shortly after they were formed, it was a hideous land barge of a thing and apart from the Mini it was technically the forerunner of all of BL's later transverse abortions!

I learned to drive in an Allegro in 1975/6 and loved it, but it was brand new... a bit like going for test drives in a new car today I suppose ?

On 05/05/2018 at 8:31 AM, Paddy O'Furniture said:

Let's be honest,  anything and everything remotely related to BL/Rover was utter shite.

I'm inclined to agree having worked my way up(?) from an A35 van, Mk1 Mini, and Austin 1100, with a Sunbeam Rapier and Triumph Spitfire thrown into the mix. Being penniless late teenagers a friend and I spent most weekends under the sodding things replacing something or other on BL products for ourselves, friends or family.

The worst for me was a 1964 Austin 1100. I actually had a Basil Fawlty episode with it when it let me down for the umpteenth time.

Can't say my spitfire ever let me down - had a fuel pump fail (leaking) but wasn't stranded and a mini 1100 that needed brake cylinders and a water pump in my year or so with it.

Simple tech and cheap parts :)

21 hours ago, pauliexjr said:

I had an SD1 Vitesse, a rather eye-watering green colour (Triton I think it was) Never could be classed as fast, more of a lazy mile muncher. nice car to drive though. 

My pal's dad had a Austin 3.0 Saloon, it was quickly dropped from the BL line up shortly after they were formed, it was a hideous land barge of a thing and apart from the Mini it was technically the forerunner of all of BL's later transverse abortions!

The Austin 3 Litre was rear drive though - a weird thing with self levelling Hydrolastic.

22 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

Can't say my spitfire ever let me down - had a fuel pump fail (leaking) but wasn't stranded and a mini 1100 that needed brake cylinders and a water pump in my year or so with it.

Simple tech and cheap parts :)

That was the thing back in the day for me too with Metros and Minis.  Whatever was wrong was usually fairly obvious, and not too hard to fix.  I did on one occasion use the old 'tights for fan belt' substitution to get me home!  Old Fords were the same.

I knew a man once who had a Y plate Austin Ambassador from almost new, and he had the odd issue, but just like the smaller cars, it was simple stuff to look after.  Did all his own servicing with no real mechanical training.

I remember my Dad having a Morris Ital which was converted to run on LPG - this was back in late 1970s / early 1980s! I think it could only run on LPG but couldn't be sure.

There was only 1 place in Leicester which he could fill up at (LFE Services) so it was a family trip out at the weekend to fill it up!

Progress eh.

We briefly had a 76 Marina 1.8 super estate in maroon. Can only have been 5 years old tops. My recollection of it was riding in the boot on some itchy carpets my parents had put in there on a baking hot day. Much more about the car I don't recall beyond the reg. 

On 5/9/2018 at 9:38 AM, Sir Anthony Regents-Park said:

The Austin 3 Litre was rear drive though - a weird thing with self levelling Hydrolastic.

Didn't realise that, I only knew it shared many characteristics with the later 1800 so I wrongly assumed it was FWD. Hideous bloody thing whatever it's drive train!