soorooshg

Help Finding Engine/Parts For My 525i

Hi all,

My 525i Sport is currently at Munich Legends for a semi restoration. Found out it has a cracked head and since I’m planning on a 2.8 stroker we agreed it’s best to find another M50 plus the stroker parts. Problem is I have no clue where to look for good reconditioned engines with a warranty etc. According to the guy there you can find one with about 60-70k with a warranty for sub £800. Is this really true? And if so, where do I look?

Anither thing is the paint. It’s 99% going to get resprayed, so now is the time to change it if I want to. Daytona/techno violet both have a special place in my heart. But the question is would a hange in colour drastically decrease the value in the long term? Not that I’m in a rush to get rid of it but when the time comes I don’t want an unsellabkr car. 

And any oher advice just throw it at me, it’s a 1995 M50b25tu 

sorry for for the long post, but hey I’ll probably turn this into the restoration thread and post loads of photos 

I'd stick with the oe colour. A proper colour change is a lot of work and lovely though Daytona violet is it's still 'just' a 525i

if its for personal use I think I'd wrap  it the colour I wanted then go back come sale time. 

If building a stroker then surely you'd get the block checked out that your building up. Again not sure I'd waste money on a recon as a base. 

Get Nicholas at Munich's to give me a call and I will see what I can do

2 hours ago, Tims said:

Get Nicholas at Munich's to give me a call and I will see what I can do

You’re Tim Pollock right? I believe it’s going on the ramp either today or tomorrow for an inspection, so I’m expecting a call tomorrow afternoon with a list of stuff that needs to get done. I’ll get him to give you a ring. Thanks 

9 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

I'd stick with the oe colour. A proper colour change is a lot of work and lovely though Daytona violet is it's still 'just' a 525i

if its for personal use I think I'd wrap  it the colour I wanted then go back come sale time. 

If building a stroker then surely you'd get the block checked out that your building up. Again not sure I'd waste money on a recon as a base. 

Yeah that’s what I was thinking, Avus blue is beautiful enough anyway haha. 

And what do you mean you wouldn’t waste money on a recon? How would you go about doing it? Stuart said because the head is cracked, it’s better to get a new engine both because of the time and effort to swap heads and also you don’t know how badly other parts might be damaged. Also he said 175k is very high mileage for an M50 which baffled me to be honest 

Badly phrased but I meant if the engine is being built up as a stroker would it not be being honed and refreshed as a matter of course so why start with a recon engine when you will be binning parts in making a stroker. The engine would in effect be being reconned as part of the build so why pay twice.

Obviously not starting with the scrapped head but i don't see why the block couldn't be used? After all the crank and pistons are being replaced!

1 hour ago, duncan-uk said:

Obviously not starting with the scrapped head but i don't see why the block couldn't be used? After all the crank and pistons are being replaced!

That’s exactly what I said to Stuart and he said because it’s such high mileage and the fact it has a cracked head means it’s most likely been overheated therefore there’s a chance the block could be damaged and apparently it’s not worth the money/hassle

But thats what the rebuild will check surely? Any used block might have issues?

Not sure the mileage is relevant if its being rebuilt...

How did you get on?

whats the milege? Re painting an avus blue car another colour is fucking madness. Next is another M50 vanos engine is about £400 going rate at the minute for something you can hear run.  

I'd pull the car from munich bellends as they're in a nose dive of shitness at the minute also 

On 12 May 2018 at 12:54 AM, Bumbaclut said:

whats the milege? Re painting an avus blue car another colour is fucking madness. Next is another M50 vanos engine is about £400 going rate at the minute for something you can hear run.  

I'd pull the car from munich bellends as they're in a nose dive of shitness at the minute also 

Well didn't turn out quite as expected. Got a list as long as my arm of work that needs to be done to the car, apparently its covered in rust, bodywork repair is going to break 10k just itself, then theres tons of mechanical work, basically all bushes need to be changed, fuel & brake lines, brakes need rebuilding, I could go on till next week... then another £6k they said for what I had in mind for the engine, a 2.8 stroker (but would need a new M50 due to cracked head/probably not good bottom end.)

So all in all the list tops 20k which is insane and Stuart said you're stepping into M5 territory, so I'm now pretty much set on an M5, give me a shout if you see/know of any for sale. There's no way justifying spending that much on a 525i