Calypso-E34

Remove and refit headlamp

I have a broken nearside ( passenger side) main beam headlamp on my 520i.  I am going to replace the entire unit as I have a spare.  Does anyone have an idiot's guide to getting the grilles off and replacing this?  I want to try and get everything off without breaking anything If I can!

From memory - while since I did this - I took the front bumper off, which is quite simple on these (fixings behind the black rubbing strips - chances are they will be caked with that mud/grime/salt cement that builds up, and they need to slide to spray with WD40 first)  (I'm sorry I can't remember exactly where the bolts are!! :wacko:)

With the bumper off if you look up there are little locating tangs for the grille strip/panel whatever you want to call it, release these and the grille strip will come off. I think from here you can then locate fixings for the headlights grille surround, and then the headlights themselves. Picture below attached for some kind of reference! Like I say, really sorry I can't remember exactly how I did it but hopefully that's a starter for ten.

I think it is possible to remove the grille without removing the bumper, but I found accessing the tangs was much easier with the bumper off.

11988338_10153729097241004_1897456205028133937_n.jpg

Edited by The Spooner

1 hour ago, The Spooner said:

I think it is possible to remove the grille without removing the bumper, but I found accessing the tangs was much easier with the bumper off.

Interesting - I hadn't considered taking the bumper off to do this, but you may well have a good point, as the bumper removal is easy enough IIRC.

Cheers!

As Spooner says .. and see below for more info

The black rubbing strips  -  prise them from the slot at each side of number plate and they will clip off until the corner of bumper then slide them forward  and they will come off

for bumper 4 x nuts under each main beam ( could be 13 mm or 17mm - i have seen both sizes )

There are a coupel of push clips on top of the kidneys too to release

If you look inside the actual grills you will see the clips to release them

I cant remember if you have to remove indicator to get grill off tho but if you do they are easy unclipped ( might eb a 10mm onto each inner wing to release

100 % on removing the bumper ( save damaging the paintwork) after removing the plastic screws ... release the grille panel from the top first.

You will see as Flying Banana  stated, The release tabs thought the grille  ...   unlock and pull away and leave until the bottom has been released as well

With the bumper removed you will see the locking tabs for the bottom  of the grille panel .. Use a flat screwdriver to release those and pull the panel away.

The indicator will be held in place depending on the year with a 10mm nut or stared screw.  :)

It might be a good idea with the panel removed to paint all the metal pipework  behind the grille panel.

I did this recently to paint the grills. There are little black plastic screws that hold it in. They will break. I got annoyed and hit them out with a punch and replaced with new ones. 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F222843074058

@Carl-e34 what is that pipe work? And good idea, I should have done mine! Next time it is off I will do it. 

On 4/30/2018 at 11:22 AM, Calypso-E34 said:

Does anyone have an idiot's guide to getting the grilles off and replacing this?  I want to try and get everything off without breaking anything If I can!

Here's a link to an excellent guide, to remove the bumper and grill...

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/675154

I used it to get to my aux.fan to replace it as shown, and also to get to the ns dipped- beam glass, which was smashed.

I got it all off and on again without breaking any clips, good result

Here's a few pics I took of my grill to remind me where the tabs are, in case I wanted to remove it again without taking the bumper off, hope this helps.

IMG_20180404_121534187.jpg

I added some wire mesh to help stop stones smashing into my aircon condenser

IMG_20180404_121542530.jpg

IMG_20180404_121613733.jpg

On the ends, ideally its the big tab in the middle you need to release, using the slot above the indicators

I smeared these with silicone lubricant to help release them easier next time

IMG_20180404_121642193.jpg

IMG_20180404_121703453.jpg

IMG_20180404_121728997.jpg

see that U shaped plastic slot above the indicators...?

IMG_20180404_121826695.jpg

A nice long screwdriver down this slot is what you need to release those big end tabs without breaking stuff

IMG_20180404_121757546.jpg

IMG_20180404_121949316.jpg

IMG_20180404_122003960.jpg

Edited by RonB
adding notes

21 hours ago, Sir Anthony Regents-Park said:

The E34 grille was designed by a maniac. It's the most appalling design. E32 grilles can be removed in 2-3 minutes.

For sure.  Daft setup.