AndyM

Tyre temperatrures

For those who have coded the tyre temperature display along with the pressure, what are the differences in values between your tyres? After a motorway run today I checked mine and two of them were warmer than the others (front left and rear right) by around 5 degrees. Just wondering if this is normal or I should start looking at these corners to try and get rid of the slight 70mph vibration I have.

Edited by AndyM
correct wheels

Tyres are the same type, matched across axles in terms of wear. Pressures are also matched across the axles.

I'll swap the wheels front to back and see if it follows.

Edited by AndyM

Two of them were around 28 degrees and the other two were 33, so around 20% higher. The external temperature was less than 10 degrees.

I checked from cold this evening and they all started at 10 degrees and quickly the same two wheels increased faster than the other two.

I have the temp coded on my display too. Temp all relative to ambient of course but with correct tyre pressures for the loads (front/rear), the temp reading on all four tyres is within a degree during a decent run.

Interesting - thanks. I swapped the fronts to backs & vice versa last night so will monitor and see if my temperature difference follows. There was nothing obvious on the wheels - all spun freely not catching on disks etc. The rear left tyre (now front left) was worn a bit strangely though, like it had been overinflated resulting in the middle being more worn.

It's booked in for a four wheel alignment and proper wheel balancing (take them all off and start again) on Friday so I'll mention this all to the guy.

My F11 had that the tyre temperature feature as standard, and from new there can be a difference in temperature from near side tyres to off side tyres, and it is always the same side off the top of my head I cant remember what side runs hotter but will look next time, also tyre pressure can slightly alter by 1 bar from one side, but after a long trip all the temperatures and pressures are the same on each axle, and mine has always been like that so I dont expect there is any problem with this variable temps & pressures.

After doing the front-rear swap, the higher temperatures followed the wheels which rules out additional heat due to brakes, wheel bearings or similar. I double checked all tyre pressures with a decent gauge, adjusted to match the correct front/rear pressures after the swap then did a reset and the car was in for alignment and balancing the next day.

I hadn't driven until this morning other than the very short trip back home from the garage, so monitored the temperatures today and noted that they are all now within 1 degree of each other so I think the problem is solved. I get the feeling that the sensors might have been out of calibration which the reset has cured and has probably also been helped by the alignment, which while it wasn't a mile out did need adjusting. The balancing was miles out however and a wheel constantly wobbling - especially at motorway speeds - is going to cause additional heat & tyre wear.

So...

A typical c40 mile journey, mixed town, dual, single A and B roads.

Ambient temp 20deg.

At the end of my journey here is a view of my idrive - all temps similar and throughout the journey either all the same or within a degree (calibration and change points between sensors I expect).

927AE23E-7DFE-4294-B229-5F4DF7552F6F.jpeg

Edited by bee