Ladies and Gents, 

I'm looking for a single din head unit, WITH optical out AND application control.

It seems that the ones on the market have either one or the other but not both. 

Thanks

Deepan

Hi NF,

You'd be much better off asking on the Talkstuff forum. When you say App control, I guess you mean Apple or Android apps? When it comes to optical out, those units are usually centred around very high SQ and internal electronics/DACS (where used) and build quality, so apps aren't really supported/used etc. With the reduction recently of high quality brands making high quality head units there's perhaps less chances of you finding such a unit with both feature sets. I haven't seen any recently for instance but I'd need to look again at the remaining brands ranges to see if there's anything?!!

What kind of setup are you thinking of now in order to go optical?!

Cheers, Dennis!

12 hours ago, DennisCooper said:

Hi NF,

You'd be much better off asking on the Talkstuff forum. When you say App control, I guess you mean Apple or Android apps? When it comes to optical out, those units are usually centred around very high SQ and internal electronics/DACS (where used) and build quality, so apps aren't really supported/used etc. With the reduction recently of high quality brands making high quality head units there's perhaps less chances of you finding such a unit with both feature sets. I haven't seen any recently for instance but I'd need to look again at the remaining brands ranges to see if there's anything?!!

What kind of setup are you thinking of now in order to go optical?!

Cheers, Dennis!

Hi Dennis, I've replied to your text, but to keep information available to all, 

I'm still going with the iPad in the dash route, with Shaky @ Studio Incar re-fashioning the existing fascia plate I have. 

As caraudiosecurity have a sale on, the Audison Prima 8.9 is £500 and their APK130 speakers are £160. 

Does anyone know the size of the rear speakers in the touring? the ones in the roof? 

I can connect my iPad directly to the head unit i had in mind (Sony MEX-N6002BD) and control it with an APP/bluetooth, and connect my iPad directly to the Audison DSP to utilise the digital audio. 

Aside from that, i haven't got any further with any decisions. 

i'm hoping they don't have my trousers down any further. 

oh, and anyone that wants the Alpine ILX-702E46 - they have it for £599 (cash/debit OR £619 - Credit) they have none in stock, but will order it and honour the price. 

Thanks

Deepan

Edited by NuckingFuts

Hi Deepan,

The speaker location in the roof of our Tourings is a) facing directly downwards to the boot floor so about the worst location possible and also, there's about 3cm of depth along with some roof support metal which would interfere with the diameter of any quality aftermarket speaker you could go for. I'd say it's not worth considering this location at all. 

Not seeing the point of having a separate single DIN head unit and then the DSP capabilities of the Audison Prima 8.9, wouldn''t it just be simpler to have all audio from the iPad going directly to the Prima ? or am I missing something?

Cheers, Dennis!

50 minutes ago, DennisCooper said:

Hi Deepan,

The speaker location in the roof of our Tourings is a) facing directly downwards to the boot floor so about the worst location possible and also, there's about 3cm of depth along with some roof support metal which would interfere with the diameter of any quality aftermarket speaker you could go for. I'd say it's not worth considering this location at all. 

Not seeing the point of having a separate single DIN head unit and then the DSP capabilities of the Audison Prima 8.9, wouldn''t it just be simpler to have all audio from the iPad going directly to the Prima ? or am I missing something?

Cheers, Dennis!

You're right Dennis, the need for a single din head unit is completely futile for this exercise but if it's on sale for a decent wedge off, I might as well; but not necessary. 

I need to buy a wifi speaker adapter (airplay/dlna compatible) with an optical out to connect directly to the dsp, so then the iPad will play music/radio direct from the iPad. 

So I bought the Audison Prima 8.9 DSP+Amp and the APK130 speakers, as well as an Airplay/WiDAC compatible adapter with optical out which may negate the need for a head unit at all, unless i can get one with bluetooth (for phone calls) cheap. 

@DennisCooper what wiring kit would you recommend for the Audison? and would the door speakers just plug in to the existing wiring? 

I'd need to get the necessary wiring this weekend due to me being booked in to see Shaky @ Studio-Incar on Tuesday 15th May. 

I'd also need to find a Micro-USB to live/ignition wire to be able to have the WiFi adapter on either all the time (so to not loose settings) or as the prima powers up if it has a cmos battery to remember basic settings. 

If anyone else has any recommendations, please shout. 

Cheers.

Deepan