amazighman

Vanos symptoms

Good afternoon everybody.

Soon I will tackle my double vanos seals on my 530i , the car has done 92k miles ,i have replaced the rubber intake boots and now runs better no more whistle .

I thought i d leave the vanos seals till summer but i noticed that the car isnt quite happy at low range, as u accelerate  between 20 to 30 mph the car loses revs and surges again and seems low on power in the RPM below 3k.

I have seen the X8R seal kit from ebay 80 pounds , seems I6 automotive dont have the full seal and gasket kit , although it is on ebay  but for 500 quid instead of 50...

Any recommendations welcome.

I am planning on doing the same and was going to purchase the same set. The X8R has been recommended on many forums and I have not read anything negative about them. 

But as I have not done them yet my opinion might just be academic. 

1 hour ago, oberlointment said:

I am planning on doing the same and was going to purchase the same set. The X8R has been recommended on many forums and I have not read anything negative about them. 

But as I have not done them yet my opinion might just be academic. 

What symptoms u got?

The vanos gasket is about £12 from bmw. Do the rocker gasket at the same time. I think when I did mine all the gaskets and new rubber spacers came to about £55.

Edited by lufbramatt

2 hours ago, lufbramatt said:

The vanos gasket is about £12 from bmw. Do the rocker gasket at the same time. I think when I did mine all the gaskets and new rubber spacers came to about £55.

Did u notice improvment after seal change? What symptoms u had when ur vanos failed? 

38 minutes ago, amazighman said:

Did u notice improvment after seal change? What symptoms u had when ur vanos failed? 

Tbh I did it as preventative maintenance as the rocker cover gasket was leaking so I did it while it was in bits. Noticed a bit more low end torque and slightly better mpg but it wasn’t a huge difference.

Are vanos to camshaft LHT bolts re useable? Or better to get new ones?

Do these little plastic vanos hole covers which you pull with pliers  need to be twisted or unscrewed or they just pull out?