dee121

2008 520d engine cleaner advice

BMW 2008 520d 2.0 L 177BHP

Looking for advice on which engine cleaner I should out through engine.

I drive short distances, maybe 10 miles per day.   I think I have a carbon build up in the filters.  And also the air filter maybe needing cleaned.  I have started to notice a smell of diesel exhaust fumes when idling. Also a slight drop in power. The car has lost it's ooomph!!!  It seems as if it is needing a good clean out. Can anyone advise on what to aim for first. 

The fumes were that bad, I actually thought it my be the exhaust manifold gasket.  Or is there any parts I can take apart and clean carbon build up out of.  I had a vauxhall vectra and They were famous for carbon build up in their EGR. I could take that apart and clean the carbon out of it.

Is there similar parts on my BMW???

And could the air filter be the problem or these swirl flaps./

Or can you recommend a good engine cleaner and do you think that would do the trick???

Or would a good long run do it???

All advice gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

You shouldn't be able to smell Diesel fumes, I would get that checked out. Blocked egr sounds likely. There are threads on here about cleaning them out. Try a search.

A service may do wonders, a new air and oil filter, a tank full of Shell Vpower diesel and a long run.

Short distances like you do, will not be good for your engine in the long run. 

As a fellow Glaswegian, one of the local dealers who gets a customer in who complains about lack of oomph from their Diesel, get told to drive to Carlisle and back preferably in 3rd gear. The DPF will regen and the cylinders will be nice and clean too.

If you always do short journeys the best advice is to take the car out every week/other week for a 1 hour drive and give it an italian tune. 

Air filter is cheap and easy to replace.

EGR is relatively easy to remove and clean.

20 minutes ago, dee121 said:

An Italian tuning LOL

Is that High revs.

So would going along the motorway in 4th gear for half an hour in high revs do the trick???

Yes.

High revs gets the engine and therefore exhaust gas flow proper hot to clean out the DPF. Journeys of 10 miles will not get the DPF hot enough to do a regen. 

I think you've probably got all the info you need already. I used to fret about whether DPF regens were happening, and by reading various posts came across various recommendations:

- At least 1/4 tank of fuel.

- Engine coolant at least 75C.

- At least 2k rpm for at least 20 minutes.

- Don't use cruise control

How many of these are absolute requirements I don't know. Some owners have cited faulty glow plugs as preventing regens, others say they make no difference. Some owners also report regens happening even on low speed low RPM urban journeys.

A bit more info on the attachment.

DDE7_Regeneration.pdf

15 hours ago, Grizzle_E60 said:

Discount Code Arch25 gives 25% off just now on power enhancer.

Cheers, ordered

On 28/04/2018 at 12:57 PM, dee121 said:

Are all engine cleaners put through the fuel tank filler???

Or do you put some into the engine it's self???

No additive cleaner is going to make much difference to a coked up engine. If you want to get the internals clean go for walnut blasting. It will set you back around £350 but that will clean all of the coking from above the valves and the inlets. Make sure if you do that, when the inlet manifold is removed that it too is cleaned along with the swirlflaps and mechanism. Remember that any fuel additive is only good for cleaning the fuel delivery system to the fuel injectors. It isn't going to clean things like the EGR valve as that is not influenced by the fuel but by the vapour containing oil that is circulated from the crank case back into the inlet tract. 

For the DPF regen you don't need to be revving the car unnecessarily, just drive at normal revs and above 60mph. As mentioned by @pidgeonpost the main points are a tank with over 10l and water temperature above 75 degrees and drive for more than 30 minutes under those conditions. It is also influenced by the number of miles since the last regen but I can't see what that distance needs to be so itself is probably a factor in a much wider distance/mpg calculation.

On 28/04/2018 at 10:59 AM, dee121 said:

BMW 2008 520d 2.0 L 177BHP

Looking for advice on which engine cleaner I should out through engine.

I drive short distances, maybe 10 miles per day.   I think I have a carbon build up in the filters.  And also the air filter maybe needing cleaned.  I have started to notice a smell of diesel exhaust fumes when idling. Also a slight drop in power. The car has lost it's ooomph!!!  It seems as if it is needing a good clean out. Can anyone advise on what to aim for first. 

The fumes were that bad, I actually thought it my be the exhaust manifold gasket.  Or is there any parts I can take apart and clean carbon build up out of.  I had a vauxhall vectra and They were famous for carbon build up in their EGR. I could take that apart and clean the carbon out of it.

Is there similar parts on my BMW???

And could the air filter be the problem or these swirl flaps./

Or can you recommend a good engine cleaner and do you think that would do the trick???

Or would a good long run do it???

All advice gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

Had these issues last few years. Fumes check small pipe going from breather. Turbo is the issues I always suspected, Only other day car gave up the ghost Turbo blew. Its not EGR thats what BMW said 2.5 k and new egr issues stayed there. Turbo is issues when it comes to power loss, im now certain on that. Is your idle stable?

Nitro

Yes the engine idles ok.   Just a smell of exhaust, especially after cold start.  I have bought an engine cleaner and will take it for a high rev run and see if that blasts the carbon out of the system.

Will up date after I have carried it out 

Thanks guys.

I've had this smell before I had two issues one was a cracked manifold easy fix and second was glow plug relay used to get a strong diesel smell on startup but never any glow plug errors on inpa changed glow plug relay and issue went away