oberlointment

Smg steering wheel

You can retrofit the Storm paddles IIRC as per my last steering wheel

Think they're still available, if not you can get other sets (on ebay I think) that come with the necessary wiring too

Think Jack @ Royal Steering Wheels can fit them for you if you look to get it re trimmed too

Thanks for the link I am going to purchase that cable when I get the wheel and slip ring.  Makes it really simple. 

Reason I fancy doing this is that I test drove an e61 with paddles and thought that this would be great for the e39. 

55 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

You can retrofit the Storm paddles IIRC as per my last steering wheel

Think they're still available, if not you can get other sets (on ebay I think) that come with the necessary wiring too

Think Jack @ Royal Steering Wheels can fit them for you if you look to get it re trimmed too

Didn’t realise that thanks for the info will speak to jack. Many thanks. :) 

2 hours ago, oberlointment said:

Thanks for the link I am going to purchase that cable when I get the wheel and slip ring.  Makes it really simple. 

Reason I fancy doing this is that I test drove an e61 with paddles and thought that this would be great for the e39. 

I loved the steering wheel I had; rarely used the paddles though, they were good to look at, but made no difference to the drive IMO

Hi Oberlointment,

I have one which I'd like to sell on. It's SMG, leather (original, not been retrimmed), tri-stitch. The leather is in perhaps 85% condition, no rips/tears etc,. The leather is perhaps 12-17 years old and the tri-stitch has that many years dirt on it, although I have lightly cleaned/wiped it. All connections/internal wiring present for the horn/SMG paddles and the airbag which is also included. 

With ALL these steering wheels, the OEM paddles over time and aging process get 'wrinkles' on the paint on the back of the paddles themselves and this one has them as well. The only way to have a totally smooth set is to either buy them brand new or, have them repainted/leather covered etc. Beware of sellers on ebay saying their item is 'wrinkle free' etc!

The lower front panel has a small amount of 'rubbed' paint right at the bottom of the piece, I've seen much worse ones out there for sale. It has a blank top cover,  so if you want the multi function option, you'll need to source one of those panels. The airbag is included and that's just an airbag unit! A contact re-paints the trim pieces so can put you in touch with him if you'd like.

Pics;

DSC01329_zpsslyvbvgh.jpg

DSC01330_zpszpsd9ccq.jpg

DSC01331_zpsgvikh8ua.jpg

DSC01333_zpsv8wlb6mw.jpg

DSC01334_zpsswo6ajyd.jpg

DSC01335_zpsfnyvu09l.jpg

DSC01336_zpsqswxlfuo.jpg

DSC01341_zpsiaeiaw31.jpg

DSC01345_zpsltnzyrdd.jpg

Had a little look around on what's listed on ebay currently and there's various items with either no airbag or in worse condition that are priced higher. My price is £275 delivered to you. 

You'll need an SMG slip ring and the wiring loom as mentioned above by Dan and fitting I'd estimate would take about 2 hours'ish - the 'fiddly' aspect being the connection behind the steering cowl and by the auto gear selector. Also, as already mentioned, adding this s/wheel makes zero change to the gearbox or response times at all. However, I had my M3 CSL s/wheel mod done back in 2009/2010 and I loved the feeling of being able to paddle shift when driving more 'spiritedly' ! and it really added a very fun 'dynamic' to the car and enjoying it. For other's this aspect might be less so/not so enjoyable etc. 

Cheers, Dennis!

I am interested in doing this too but will probably use Merc shifters - only thing is, will I need the slip ring if Real OEM tells me I already have the correct part number? Don't want to shell out for that unnecessarily!