PliSsK

Power steering fluid reservoir

Has anyone replaced their power steering fluid reservoir on their E39? If so, did you get one from the stealer or did you use an OEM one like the Meyle 3146320000?

Meyle one, look exactly the same

FYI; do the lines at the same time, stops all leaks as per my previous E38 and 530i too!

Edited by d_a_n1979

Ah thanks for the tips Dan. I was planning to just replace the hose clamps and keep the existing hoses, maybe trim the end off with a Stanley knife and see how it goes, but it may be as well to replace both hoses. Did you drain yours from the bottom then as you were replacing all the hoses?

1 hour ago, PliSsK said:

Ah thanks for the tips Dan. I was planning to just replace the hose clamps and keep the existing hoses, maybe trim the end off with a Stanley knife and see how it goes, but it may be as well to replace both hoses. Did you drain yours from the bottom then as you were replacing all the hoses?

Imo as they’re not expensive, I’d replace them

Just get the part number off RealOEM and see if bmwmotormec or C3BMW sell them via eBay etc

I drained the reservoir first then caught the fluid as best as I could when undoing the pipes, an old sheet is ideal to stuff into the engine bay to catch spills etc

Also when replacing and topping back up...run the engine with the reservoir cap off and do full lock to full lock a few times to circulate the fluid and remove trapped air.

If you replace the hoses then the febi ones are good quality and not too expensive. Bear in mind there are two small o rings that also should be replaced where the hoses screw in to the pas fluid cooler.