Mr Filipov

DPF Regeneration 530d GT

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum and recently acquired a 2014 530d GT.
As most of my driving is mainly done in and around town, I would like to know what to look out for in terms of DPF regens. I used to be very familiar with my E350 Mercedes, but this is new ground for me. Are there any signs of the car doing a regen like for example holding onto the gears for longer, engine/exhaust note changing etc?
I would just like to know what to look out for as to not run it into the ground.

Many thanks in advance.

I drive my 525D around town only, for weeks at a time. Usualy just short jouneys. 

It does a regen about every 1000 miles, depending on jouneys, eyc.

The only thing that I notice during a regen is that the temp gauge is on 100 and a little yellow triangle lights up on the dash. 

I watched it do a regen with Carly plugged in once.

From cold in winter, At mile 3 the regen started and by mile 8 it was finished. 

So nothing much to worry about...

@GeeJayJoe a 1000 miles seems a bit on the high side, but got to give it the benefit of the doubt. Done 500 odd since I got it, but still nothing to my knowledge. Do you get the triangle every time it does a regen or not?

Also when you say temp gauge goes to 100, I am guessing you mean coolant temp and not oil, as my oil temp is alway at 100.

Let me know if those assumptions are correct please :)

Thanks

Yes, I do mean the coolant temp as the water temp is not visible. It takes about 10 miles to get up to 100 so an urgent regen will heat the engine quicker and the regen then can start sooner for a car that does mainly short journeys. 

I rarely see the triangle as it is not that noticeable when driving. 

The Carly App is one way to keep an eye on what your exhaust system is up to. 

The gauge is heavily damped so 100 on that really isn't accurate, you need to use the hidden menu to access reliable temp data.

I've never seen a warning triangle during a regen, was keeping an extra eye out for it yesterday after triggering one with Carly. Whereabout is the triangle @GeeJayJoe?

2 hours ago, GeeJayJoe said:

Yes, I do mean the coolant temp as the water temp is not visible. It takes about 10 miles to get up to 100 so an urgent regen will heat the engine quicker and the regen then can start sooner for a car that does mainly short journeys. 

I rarely see the triangle as it is not that noticeable when driving. 

The Carly App is one way to keep an eye on what your exhaust system is up to. 

So just to clarify, as I am starting to get a bit muddled up myself haha.

Coolant/water temp is normally referred to as the same thing in both cases. This is the one you do not see.

If you mean the gauge that you do see, which is the oil temp, goes to 100, this is where mine always sits. To my knowledge that is how the oil should be.

So if you don't mind me asking again, which gauge do you mean?

Thanks

10 minutes ago, SuperDave said:

The gauge is heavily damped so 100 on that really isn't accurate, you need to use the hidden menu to access reliable temp data.

I've never seen a warning triangle during a regen, was keeping an extra eye out for it yesterday after triggering one with Carly. Whereabout is the triangle @GeeJayJoe?

Hello Dave,

So to sum up from your experience, once you triggered a regen via Carly, were there any signs that it was happening or not? I am being cautious about the whole thing as I do not want to kill the DPF. On the other hand I am not so keen on spending £50 for the app for a year and another £80/90 for an adapter for my iPhone, just to be able to tell it is happening.

Thanks

The yellow triangle is next to the "Efficiancy Dinamics" blue writing and this lit up too.

There was no sign from driving that anything was happening at all.

I don't think that there is anything to worry about as the car seems to have it all under control.

And yes I did mean the oil temperature....

5 hours ago, GeeJayJoe said:

The yellow triangle is next to the "Efficiancy Dinamics" blue writing and this lit up too.

There was no sign from driving that anything was happening at all.

I don't think that there is anything to worry about as the car seems to have it all under control.

And yes I did mean the oil temperature....

Well in that case I will not be able to tell by the oil temp gauge, because as I said mine sits on 100 all day long.

No visible sign on my car of a regen and it doesnt hold gears like the old E60/61. I deffinately dont get a yellow warning its happening. I can feel it on the throttle though and the car will be warm from underneath if you stop while its regenerating with the exhaust crackling from the heat. If I pull up coolant temp on the hidden menu the temp will rise to about 104 degress while on the motorway (normal is between 98-100 while cruising).

12 minutes ago, dandle said:

No visible sign on my car of a regen and it doesnt hold gears like the old E60/61. I deffinately dont get a yellow warning its happening. I can feel it on the throttle though and the car will be warm from underneath if you stop while its regenerating with the exhaust crackling from the heat. If I pull up coolant temp on the hidden menu the temp will rise to about 104 degress while on the motorway (normal is between 98-100 while cruising).

Thanks for that. Last time I had it on motorway run with the menu open the coolant was stable at 89-90 all the way.

40 minutes ago, Mr Filipov said:

Thanks for that. Last time I had it on motorway run with the menu open the coolant was stable at 89-90 all the way.

At normall temp mine will sit at 92 around town. On the motorway cruising it will always go up to 98-100 and drop back to 92 once off the motorway.

Agree, no outward signs. I watched the soot weight drop from 15g to 3g during the regen via Carly - would be interesting to know what ash weight people's dpfs are on, as i think this determines useful life as long as the regen is burning off soot happily. 

At 67k miles, ive got 20g of ash.   Found a post on another forum about a 535d where the dpf light had come on near 150k miles with 57g in it. 

(anyone who's played Dark Souls, i had to smile to myself a tiny bit) 

Same here I have also never been aware of any regen taking place on the 520d or our mini cooper d 1.6, but if I connect the Foxwell NT510 scanner or my laptop you can see data that states a regen has taken place for example 250 - 300 miles ago, best way to keep the dpf as clean as possible once engine is up to running temp, hold vehicle in a lower gear and drive for 8 -12 minutes at higher revs i personally hold the revs just shy of red maximum revs, especially if I have done a lot stop start in heavy traffic conditions, and both our cars present cars also previous our diesels has never had a force dpf regeneration, so my conclusion it must be keeping the dpf cleaner than would be otherwise.