AndyM

DIY retrofit reversing camera - COMPLETE

I should also mention that the Emtronika loom only just fits - like to the mm. I didn't string across corners bow & arrow style but I didn't leave any slack either.

It might be better in a saloon.

8 hours ago, AndyM said:

I should also mention that the Emtronika loom only just fits - like to the mm. I didn't string across corners bow & arrow style but I didn't leave any slack either.

It might be better in a saloon.

That's handy to know, the kit I've purchased is an OEM kit removed from an f30 so I'll need to extend some of the cabling as it is. Should be here later in the week

Will also be completing my RDC/tyre pressure monitoring retrofit at the same time so will attempt to take some pics of the process

Many thanks for such a thorough write up

7 hours ago, apples12 said:

That's handy to know, the kit I've purchased is an OEM kit removed from an f30 so I'll need to extend some of the cabling as it is. Should be here later in the week

Will also be completing my RDC/tyre pressure monitoring retrofit at the same time so will attempt to take some pics of the process

Many thanks for such a thorough write up

Here are the instructions from an F30; https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1230655&d=1434827579 It looks like the difference in the loom (retrofit at least) is that the CAN cables are at the back end of the car rather than the dash.

Interestingly, that document mentions the requirement to do a calibration once fitted, the F10 document doesn't...

6 hours ago, Retset said:

Just to say congratulations! I have lurked on the thread as I have considered doing the same but now fear it may be a bit beyond me.

It's not difficult, just looks a bit destructive!

All the bits arrived on sat, went to work on extending the f30 loom to fit the F10 with wiring I already had laying around

The OEM wiring which has been pulled from an F10 also had the power wiring running with the fbas connectors towards the head unit, I removed these from the loom as I had ran my hsd/fakra cable down the right hand side of the boot hinge to have it coming out by the fuse box already there, module to be mounted just behind the cubby, power wiring can neatly go into the fuse box, all that runs to the front is the fbas to the back of the head unit and the can bus which is fabric taped to it which will tap into the ihka can bus

I'm now wondering where my apps module is as this may have the same can bus lines present which would mean in theory you could tap into these?

45 minutes ago, apples12 said:

in theory you could tap into these?

Any CAN bus would do. The wires in the IHKA module loom are very easily accessible though.

Since the power cable in the loom ended up in the wrong place I moaned to Emtronika via the eBay disputes service yesterday and they've given me a £40 partial refund of the original £94 that I paid.

Completed mine this weekend alongside the RDC/tpms retrofit, all working as intended! Now just need to fiddle with the coding to get temps showing

Do you/anyone know the part number for the grey plug/socket which plugs into the back of the fuse box? This is the only part missing before I can call it a true oem-like install, that and the bracket to mount the module

On 5/27/2018 at 7:04 PM, apples12 said:

Do you/anyone know the part number for the grey plug/socket which plugs into the back of the fuse box?

That must be the extra bit that I got with the Emtronika kit! It wasn't really mentioned in the instructions so presumed it was for a different model and as the power ended up at the front anyway I didn't investigate further. Can't help with the part number unfortunately and I'm planning on putting mine right at some point so will still need the one I have.