apples12

Walnut blasting intake and egr, yay or nay?

Hi

Yup, from what I saw the following was done...

One mechanic stripped the intake off the car and then did the walnut blasting on the inlet ports

A second mechanic then completely disassembled the intake manifold to its component parts, flaps, motor, two halves of the manifold itself

These were then scraped to remove the bulky crud and then washed in parts cleaner etc...were as new when I looked them over before refitting

All new gaskets were used too

I keep a track of my 35k annual miles using drivvo so I'll update any noticeable change

I was going to get this done by the independent I use, but he told me to hold off until they get their new carbon cleaning machine.  This is meant to be as good if not better than the walnut blasting, giving better MPG, better emissions and better power response. 

He just got his machine this week so I'm booked in tomorrow morning to get this done.  It only takes an hour to do and the other bonus of this is that it is £150-175 cheaper than the walnut blasting.

6 minutes ago, sshooie said:

The walnut blasting is more expensive because it's more effective imo, be interested to hear how you get on.

He seems to think it is as effective and offered this over the walnut blasting which is surprising as he is theoretically loosing out on an extra £150 odd.  Will keep you posted how it goes.

Let us know exactly what his process involves...

I was keen to try the walnut blasting because in my mind it was quite simple...physical removal of the crud lining the intake components, surely that had to be a good thing!

2 whole days of quite spirited motorway driving and I reckon there's an improvement in fuel consumption already but will have a clearer picture over the next full tank over the weekend

11 hours ago, Big A said:

I was going to get this done by the independent I use, but he told me to hold off until they get their new carbon cleaning machine.  This is meant to be as good if not better than the walnut blasting, giving better MPG, better emissions and better power response. 

He just got his machine this week so I'm booked in tomorrow morning to get this done.  It only takes an hour to do and the other bonus of this is that it is £150-175 cheaper than the walnut blasting.

Sounds like Terraclean.

21 minutes ago, jake13 said:

Sounds like Terraclean.

Terraclean only goes into the fuel system. This is hydrogen that runs straight into the engines air inlet while it’s running to clean it out.

I am confused now.

I have heard of Terraclean and understand what it does.

I have heard of walnut blast and know what that does.

But, what is this hydrogen you talk of? Not heard of that.........

Got the carbon cleaning done this morning and the car is a lot quieter and smoother. MPG around town is also greatly increased by about 10 mpg and went a 80 mile run this afternoon and again MPG was up by about 6 mpg. Performance is meant to improve, but as yet I’m in two minds if that is any better. It does feel more responsive, but not sure if it’s any quicker. Will see how it feels over the next week, but so far appears to be worth getting done.

AEBEB6_BD-_B18_B-4_EE0-8212-7_BD5_FB0956