Loadmaster

E39 540i Sport - Delivery at Last!

26 minutes ago, chicaneuk said:

Something about that car just doesn't feel right. It just looks like it's been taken apart and put back together a few times. And fake M5 wing vents always causes me to raise an eyebrow anyway.

Yeah i agree...something doesn't look right.

The front fog lights seem different too and that wonky exhaust would drive me nuts.

Yeah apart from a nice looking paint job that has got to be the tattiest Jap import I've ever seen, and the advert is bollocks too! A sport? No. Factory fitted sport body kit? No - it likely predates the very existence of those bumpers being a 98! Harmon Kardon - what?! Sport seats? No. Parking sensors - no! Jap Nav - awesome! Bi-xenon? Errr, nope. Exhaust wonky, front bumper looks badly fitted, modifications, especially the weird fog lights and wing vents aren't nice, interior looks a mess - look at that smashed drivers seat switch panel. Wouldn't touch that with a bargepole for 5 grand! Not surprised it's still around. I'll take it off ya for a grand! :)

That white one is a shit heap IMO; not rough, but bodged

However, they won't drop the price 'because it's a low miles import' bullshit etc

You'd have to spend around £1k if not more servicing it, maintenance stuff and getting rid of all the shitty bits on it too

But still; that's what these dealers are like, 9/10 they're cockpots with piss-take prices etc

On 4/24/2018 at 2:09 PM, Motor84 said:

Bloody amazing looking car! Spotless. One thing I like about the Japanese imports is the square rear plate. Looks cool! 

I'm getting to quite like the two liner look as well. I was going to put a one liner five character plate on it which I have on retention, but I may actually leave as is.  

2 hours ago, Loadmaster said:

I'm getting to quite like the two liner look as well. I was going to put a one liner five character plate on it which I have on retention, but I may actually leave as is.  

That shows it is always worth asking the gurus when u look at stuff like this, if it was me buying it i would have fallen for their BS..... Fortunately I am skint

^^

IMO nah; M5 is ok to have the quad exhaust, but all others no, it's just pretending

By all means go for a new exhaust to make it sound better, but stick to one side only IMO ;) 

Schmiedmann have some lovely looking systems on their website @Loadmaster might be worth a look :mrgreen:  

The E39 looks much better with quads, its when you put an M5 badge on its pretending /  daft. Aesthetics are everything and quads it be if it was mine  

Teh silver one above looks classy with no badges, quads and Paras .. looks factory and not put of place

Edited by The Flying Banana

4 minutes ago, The Flying Banana said:

The E39 looks much better with quads, its when you put an M5 badge on its pretending /  daft. Aesthetics are everything and quads it be if it was mine  

Teh silver one above looks classy with no badges, quads and Paras .. looks factory and not put of place

Agreed, quads look awesome if it's done properly, thinking about it for mine but not sure how it's done with the boot floor in the way on the off side ?

54 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

^^

IMO nah; M5 is ok to have the quad exhaust, but all others no, it's just pretending

By all means go for a new exhaust to make it sound better, but stick to one side only IMO ;) 

Schmiedmann have some lovely looking systems on their website @Loadmaster might be worth a look :mrgreen:  

Agreed, Something about imitating a faster car with a slower car seems wrong. Plus I am into OEM. 

1 hour ago, d_a_n1979 said:

^^

Actually Dan, the subject of extracting a little more sound from the V8 was going to be my next question sometime in the near future! I'm with you with not going for quads - these belong to the M5, besides I'm not interested in that sort of expense either. I'm happy with the look of the standard big (ish) bore single exit, so I'm looking for ideas which aren't stupid expensive and don't affect the performance, fuel economy or general performance of the car in a negative way. I presume this may be just a case of changing the rear box, but I'll check out Schmeidmann for ideas.

I may start a separate thread on this. ;)   

4 minutes ago, Loadmaster said:

Actually Dan, the subject of extracting a little more sound from the V8 was going to be my next question sometime in the near future! I'm with you with not going for quads - these belong to the M5, besides I'm not interested in that sort of expense either. I'm happy with the look of the standard big (ish) bore single exit, so I'm looking for ideas which aren't stupid expensive and don't affect the performance, fuel economy or general performance of the car in a negative way. I presume this may be just a case of changing the rear box, but I'll check out Schmeidmann for ideas.

I may start a separate thread on this. ;)   

Well for sound, a back-box delete with a nice tip welded on would be the best, most direct and probably cheapest way

You could get a custom back-box made to your specs too, that'll be more expensive

Neither will affect performance, just the sound etc :) 

Only a full system manifold back will start to affect performance IMO; maybe alongside sport cats too etc... But that's where it starts to get very expensive!

I know air filters can be seen as being a bit chavvy sometimes, but I don't think should be underestimated for letting the noise out of the engine.. I think I prefer good intake growls over exhaust noises in many situations. Not sure what the air filter options are for the 540i but something to bear in mind!

2 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Well for sound, a back-box delete with a nice tip welded on would be the best, most direct and probably cheapest way

I've heard of that mod before - so literally the back box off with a straight thru pipe in its place?  Is that road legal and MOT friendly?

I would only be looking for a subtle, but noticeable, increase in sound so maybe that's a step too far? 

Edited by Loadmaster

8 minutes ago, Loadmaster said:

I've heard of that mod before - so literally the back box off with a straight thru pipe in its place?  Is that road legal and MOT friendly?

I would only be looking for a subtle, but noticeable, increase in sound so maybe that's a step too far? 

Yes it's fine, as long as it meets the sound decibels measurement etc... It will do though as you've still one or two silencers in the system, it's simply just removing the back-box and adding a pipe into it's place :) 

Personally; I prefer the look of a custom made back-box though and I think I'll be going for one of Schmeidmann's offerings in the next month or so

25 minutes ago, chicaneuk said:

I know air filters can be seen as being a bit chavvy sometimes, but I don't think should be underestimated for letting the noise out of the engine.. I think I prefer good intake growls over exhaust noises in many situations. Not sure what the air filter options are for the 540i but something to bear in mind!

I like a decent intake too; however the OEM intake box with a K&N or ITG panel filter in is hard to beat for decent, clean breathing

However, a custom system can soon be made from either decent mandrel bent piping, or silicone intake piping etc

25 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Yes it's fine, as long as it meets the sound decibels measurement etc... It will do though as you've still one or two silencers in the system, it's simply just removing the back-box and adding a pipe into it's place :) 

Personally; I prefer the look of a custom made back-box though and I think I'll be going for one of Schmeidmann's offerings in the next month or so

I guess the thing is with this sort of mod you never know what the sound level will be like until you make your choice and do it - past the point of no return!

25 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

@Loadmaster

@SamMubarak did a back-box delete on his 540i and IMO it sounds well:

Not too loud or raspy, but lets you know there's something interesting under the bonnet ;) 

Yep - seen this one before - awesome sound.

And like most things recorded and played back via speakers, difficult to gauge how loud that is in the flesh, so to speak.

Edited by Loadmaster

30 minutes ago, Loadmaster said:

I guess the thing is with this sort of mod you never know what the sound level will be like until you make your choice and do it - past the point of no return!

With a straight pipe and tip; it'll be like all the other 540i back box deletes on Youtube more or less

With a custom back-box; you can have it sounding how you want etc

1 hour ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Dont think decible measuring comes into it unless its a kit car.

You may get a fail for being louder than a factory equivalent. Usually mot testers discretion.

Here is the MOT text:

Exhaust noise is clearly in excess of that emitted by a similar vehicle fitted with a standard silencer in average condition [7.1.2b]

Edited by Marc_86
Added text

I had a custom cat back stainless system fitted on my 535i by these guys; 

http://www.pro-speedexhausts.com/   

They have a huge following in and around South Wales as they REALLY know their stuff when it comes to exhausts. I explained to Charlie what I wanted it to sound like beforehand (deep burble at low revs with a nice growl at high revs!) and he got it absolutely spot on, in fact, I went from the 535i to an M5 and there was very little difference in the sound between them. I had the single tailpipe replaced with a twin 3" tailpipe which I thought gave it a sort of factory but better look. Oh, and I was only charged £350 for the pleasure which I thought was a f'kin bargain! :)