PedroC

MK4 Sat Nav unresponsive when it gets hot!

Regular as clockwork, as a result of the hot weather we've had over the last few days, my MK 4 sat nav is unresponsive when I get in the car.  

Today, I was met with a blank screen.  After a few minutes I then got the boot up screen loading for longer than normal.  After about 15 minutes of driving, the sat nav menu screen loads and stays put.

All the while the screen is black or going through numerous re-boots of the BMW splash screen, the radio seems to work fine and can be controlled with the relevant buttons.

The unit is running the latest firmware (without the speed cameras) and I'm pretty sure its also running a genuine sat nav disc.

I'd like to get this fixed once and for all.

My thinking is either the sat nav screen unit or mk4 disc drive on the basis that the radio still works so the BM54 unit is still ok?

Any input would be gratefully received.

Normally due to a failed cooling fan, worth a look to see if it's stopped.

25 minutes ago, GoNz0 said:

Normally due to a failed cooling fan, worth a look to see if it's stopped.

Cheers.  Not heard of that one before.  How would I check?

Edited by PedroC

17 hours ago, PedroC said:

Cheers.  Not heard of that one before.  How would I check?

By removing it unfortunately, not sure where the fans located in it but I'm sure google will help. All I know is my CIC shows the fan as a part you can buy for a lot of money but it is just a 40mm fan that looks replaceable on it's own and would probably cost £3 instead of £80!

Then you will need to check if it is the fan then figure out what you can replace it with if it is a dead fan.