Gr3gg

Diesel - full tank range thread

With @carrman starting a useful thread on the range of a 530e, I thought I'd start something similar for diesel owners as a bit of fun. I've yet to manage an 800 mile tank in my G31 530d, but 700+ miles and 50+ mpg are very doable (45-48 mpg / 650 miles more typical for mixed road driving, driving normally - not slow, nor ragging it). As a slight aside, I did a holiday in Cornwall over the Easter break - my first outing with a roofbox on (a Kamei Corvara for those interested; Thule aero bars). This plus a somewhat full car (2 adults, 2 kids + holiday stuff) dropped the mpg down to 39-41 for similar roads and driving style. Just goes to show how slippery the car is with 'nothing on'.

I think 723 miles is my best, but I'll takes a photo of my next good run.

For those with a 520d - is an 850 mile tank on? 900 miles? Challenge!

Never took a picture of mine mid long journey, but with my bi weekly fill up on an average run it shows 650 miles and it actually returns that between fill ups

44 minutes ago, Gr3gg said:

With @carrman starting a useful thread on the range of a 530e, I thought I'd start something similar for diesel owners as a bit of fun. I've yet to manage an 800 mile tank in my G31 530d, but 700+ miles and 50+ mpg are very doable (45-48 mpg / 650 miles more typical for mixed road driving, driving normally - not slow, nor ragging it). As a slight aside, I did a holiday in Cornwall over the Easter break - my first outing with a roofbox on (a Kamei Corvara for those interested; Thule aero bars). This plus a somewhat full car (2 adults, 2 kids + holiday stuff) dropped the mpg down to 39-41 for similar roads and driving style. Just goes to show how slippery the car is with 'nothing on'.

I think 723 miles is my best, but I'll takes a photo of my next good run.

For those with a 520d - is an 850 mile tank on? 900 miles? Challenge!

Perhaps I start one for the 540i Petrol Club when my arrives - 375 - 400 max I suspect......

44 minutes ago, BacktoBeemer said:

Perhaps I start one for the 540i Petrol Club when my arrives - 375 - 400 max I suspect......

I've had over 500 from mine, but I've also had less than 300.

11 minutes ago, Johnyboy said:

On a full tank? :blink:

When my car finally arrives we will be taking it from the north east all the way to Euro Disney in the summer. There will be a few stop off for the kids to stretch their legs and the car will be brimmed to the rafters with our gear but it should give a decent long run so I’m game to try the 800 mile challenge

My 520d averages 700 ish on a tank, which is mostly motorway and not necessarily at 70mph :D

I expect this to get better as the miles go on - only on 5700 now.

Edited by Back2Beemer

2 hours ago, Johnyboy said:

Over the 92k miles on my current S5 I’ve managed a best of 334 on a tank, getting 400 plus will be a bit on a result :D

8 hours ago, BacktoBeemer said:

Over the 92k miles on my current S5 I’ve managed a best of 334 on a tank, getting 400 plus will be a bit on a result :D

But the tank will be larger on the 540i?

51 minutes ago, BRB said:

But the tank will be larger on the 540i?

4/5 litres difference tops. 

I remember my dads old A8 W12 had a 90 +/- liter fuel tank. If he did around town only for a week or so, he'd have around 200 miles or less on a full tank haha

29 minutes ago, sjak92 said:

4/5 litres difference tops. 

I remember my dads old A8 W12 had a 90 +/- liter fuel tank. If he did around town only for a week or so, he'd have around 200 miles or less on a full tank haha

10 litres more, I think.....

Old shape s5 - i presume OP has old shape as new shape just released - had a 64 liter fuel tank, 540i has 68 liter fuel tank. As i said, 4/5 liters tops. 

http://automobilio.info/en/Audi/S5/S5-Sportback/3.0T-V6-(333Hp)/16082

http://automobilio.info/en/BMW/5er/5er-VII-G30-Sedan/3.0-AT-(340-HP-4x4)/23143

Hi Gr3gg,

Interesting thread and definitely interested to hear the types of MPG in the real world.

I also travelled to Cornwall over the Easter break (Thule wing bars, Thule roof box, 2 kids and holiday clutter), I was using Active Cruise in the main and sitting around 70-75mph and managed similar MPG of of 38-42mpg for the trip.

My car (530d Touring) has just passed the 2k mile mark, but I don't think I'm anywhere near 700 miles on a tank, probably see 42-45mpg and 600-650 miles, and can drop to 40mpg if I'm not on longer trips.  I drive a mixture of A roads, Short village trips and have been driving fairly mixed drive modes.

What's your current mileage and have you seen improvements after 'x' number of run-in miles?

Matt

5 hours ago, Johnyboy said:

The 540 must have a slightly larger tank than that as I managed to put just over 70 Lts in mine when it was delivered empty. 

What BMW didn’t fill the tank for you.

The S5 is a smaller tank 65 litres (I assume as I’ve run it on fumes and never got more that 64.6 litres in it) so good to know the forecourt visits will reduce, slightly.....

11 hours ago, sjak92 said:

Old shape s5 - i presume OP has old shape as new shape just released - had a 64 liter fuel tank, 540i has 68 liter fuel tank. As i said, 4/5 liters tops. 

http://automobilio.info/en/Audi/S5/S5-Sportback/3.0T-V6-(333Hp)/16082

http://automobilio.info/en/BMW/5er/5er-VII-G30-Sedan/3.0-AT-(340-HP-4x4)/23143

Yep ‘old shape’ Audi appear not to have adopted the version numbers Beemer have. 3 yrs old yesterday to be precise. 64 makes sense - I really have run it on fumes occasionally then....

Well for all of you environmentally friendly chaps I’ll amuse you by disclosing my MPG when it finally arrives.....

@Parvus - I'm only a few thousand miles in front of you and can't say that once I'd broken X miles I saw a step in performance or efficiency. I might expect something once I've driven for 15-20K miles, but not night and day. I tend to drive in Comfort or Adaptive in fully auto mode 99% of the time (Comfort on the motorways and if I forget - Adaptive everywhere else) and can't say that I've seen an efficiency difference between the modes (not that I was expecting one). I did use Eco mode quite a lot when I started, but now just have the 'real-time' mpg bar displayed at the bottom of the dash which perhaps sub-consciously makes me drive differently. What is unclear to me at the moment is whether cruise control offers better economy than just driving normally. My gut reaction would have been to say yes, but that may not be true based on purely subjective experimentation.

6 minutes ago, Gr3gg said:

What is unclear to me at the moment is whether cruise control offers better economy than just driving normally. My gut reaction would have been to say yes, but that may not be true based on purely subjective experimentation.

I suspect that cruise control can mean a better or a worse result, depending where it's used.  I've always considered that consistency of speed is the main challenge when looking at efficiency.  Cruise will help this when the road is clear and without roundabouts etc.  My suspicion is that as cruise will not 'read the road' it cannot get to the same level of efficiency.  EcoPro shows the distance the vehicle has coasted, but it won't disengage to coast to (for example) a roundabout.
I think that cruise is only an economy tool when up to speed and on a long, clear trip.....

Agreed - particularly when considering long (open) motorway runs. But even then it doesn't read the road as well as a human. I might take my foot off the accelerator and coast down a long hill using the momentum to get up any subsequent minor rise, where as cruise control focuses on +-1 mph of what was set. A level road levels the playing field.