Droverunner

Refurbing rear lights?

I'm just refurbing my O/S headlamp which I did 4yrs ago but has gone a little cloudy again. Using 2000/3000/5000 wet & dry with a final drill mop and paint compound buffing.

I wondered if the same would work on rear lights? My Tourer inner tailgate lights are faded... weirdly the outers are fine though.

Is there any reason why the coloured lights wouldn't polish up with the same procedure as headlamps?

Ha ha yes... there will be no half measures given they look even worse on the initial sand. Going to ponder on it.

Well I've finished one and the result's great. It took more work than the headlamp though. Wet & dry (used wet) 800, 1200, 2000, 3000, 5000... then Halfords rubbing compound on a rotary mop... lastly Meguiar's Plast-Rx polish finished by hand.

Image below of finished right hand lamp under faded left hand one. Camera massively reduces the difference... in real life the dull one has a misty grey finish which lets down the rear of the car.

Rear light refurb.JPG

Edited by Droverunner

Ha ha nice thought but... Mrs Droverunner would kill me. There's the gutter downpipe I had to divert with a gaffer tape joint when the new boiler was fitted 18mths ago... permanent job still outstanding. Then the pergola down the side of the house planned 2yrs ago and still not started. Not forgetting the new patio outside the conservatory that's been on the cards for 3yrs.. need I go on!

Damn. I have never really got my head around sanding and polishing.. maybe I should buy a second set of faded inner lights on eBay to practice on and have a go. 

14 hours ago, Droverunner said:

Ha ha nice thought but... Mrs Droverunner would kill me. There's the gutter downpipe I had to divert with a gaffer tape joint when the new boiler was fitted 18mths ago... permanent job still outstanding. Then the pergola down the side of the house planned 2yrs ago and still not started. Not forgetting the new patio outside the conservatory that's been on the cards for 3yrs.. need I go on!

you have done a good job there, well done.

I had the same problem and did it myself using appropriate branded products, but the clouding came back after a while, so I had done by a "professional" and it lasted a little while longer before it came back.

The outers are fine, but I suspect there may be some subtle difference in the material which the inners are made from.