goram

Exhaust Options - F11 535d

I considered this route to aural satisfaction - but the consensus seems to be 'it's a diesel.  You can't do it.  The exhaust system can be fouled up if you change to a sports system...'

So - I decided not to change mine.  I have the 520d.

The twin turbo diesels have quite a nice sound to them with an exhaust system on, but the DPF kill all of the noise. They have a nice sound with the DPF out and they really growl when you chop the lot out and make them boxless. But they're still pretty quiet unless you're really on it - the turbos really quieten them down.

1 hour ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

The twin turbo diesels have quite a nice sound to them with an exhaust system on, but the DPF kill all of the noise. They have a nice sound with the DPF out and they really growl when you chop the lot out and make them boxless. But they're still pretty quiet unless you're really on it - the turbos really quieten them down.

If I ditch the dpf, doesn't that make me illegal and nervous at MOT time?

Technically yes, it is illegal to tamper with the DPF by removing it. As long as it doesn't smoke at all and it still looks like it's there, it's an MOT pass. 

A stage 1 map on your car (if it's the 313BHP model) makes around 380BHP with the DPF still in, and around 420 with it out on the standard turbos! :)

40 minutes ago, reggie59 said:

Mashed potatoes,

If illegal to drive without dpf, that this invalidate your insurance? I have been wondering this for a while.

I work for a large insurance group.

It would only invalidate your cover if any incident resulting in a claim was caused by the dpf being removed. Which is highly unlikely!

My last car got written off after I had an argument with a large puddle, and the insurer didn't bat an eyelid at the shiny straight pipe where the dpf should've been.

It's not as simple as that. An insurer wouldn't pay for an undeclared mod - for instance if you changed your wheels and didn't tell them, they wouldn't pay should those wheels get nicked.

If there's an injury involved, they are required by law to deal with the third party injury regardless.

if your undeclared dpf-less car got nicked and recovered, and the adjuster spotted that the dpf was removed, they would still pay as the cause of the claim was nothing to do with the fact the dpf was missing.

I'm more nervous about MOT time.  I had the dpf removed on my last but one car, and the power turned up as far as it could go, and at full tilt it smoked like a para. It got through the MOT just, and only because it was a "friendly" MOT station. I think it's all a lot tighter now?

2 hours ago, goram said:

It would only invalidate your cover if any incident resulting in a claim was caused by the dpf being removed. Which is highly unlikely!

Thats not in the spirit of things.

There is a legal requirement for your car to have a DPF for a reason.

If your car is maintained and driven properly there is every chance that the newer cars with DPF should last longer than the DPF in the E Generation of BMW models.

Just a quick look at my kids policy (Morethan)

"Why it’s important you provide correct information
You are required by the provisions of the Consumer Insurance (Disclosure and Representations) Act to take reasonable care
not to make a misrepresentation to us. We interpret this to mean that you must take care to answer all questions honestly and
to the best of your knowledge. Failure to supply accurate and complete answers may result in your policy being cancelled or
treated as if it never existed, or your claim rejected or not fully paid.

For example, this could include:
• not telling us about motoring convictions or not providing a driving licence number
• not telling us about unspent criminal convictions
• not telling us about previous accidents or losses, even if a claim was not made
not telling us about modifications to your car
• giving us false information about who is the registered keeper or owner of your car
• giving us false information about the main user of your car

And from my Hastings policy:

"Please also tell us about any of these before they happen: • You or any insured driver intend to change any of the Car/s on your Policy • You want to change what you use your Car/s for (i.e. for business) • You want to include other drivers • You intend to alter or modify your Car/s from the manufacturer's standard specification. This includes but is not limited to: - Changes to the bodywork, such as spoilers or body kits - Changes to suspension or brakes - Cosmetic changes such as alloy wheels - Anything affecting performance such as changes to the engine management system or exhaust system - Changes to the audio/entertainment system.

This isn’t a full list of all possible changes. You must tell us about any alteration you intend to make to your Car/s – both Primary Policyholders and Vehicle Policyholders are responsible for this. Failure to notify us of a modification may result in your Policy being cancelled from the start date."

Edited by sshooie

30 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

If your car is maintained and driven properly there is every chance that the newer cars with DPF should last longer than the DPF in the E Generation of BMW models.

Yep. Mine is 155,000 miles and still on original dpf. But with dpf, it is not if but when problems will occur... Unlikely to remove, more likely to get it professional cleaned. But still. I have been wondering for years if all the dpf removed cars are effectively insured.

46 minutes ago, reggie59 said:

Yep. Mine is 155,000 miles and still on original dpf. But with dpf, it is not if but when problems will occur... Unlikely to remove, more likely to get it professional cleaned. But still. I have been wondering for years if all the dpf removed cars are effectively insured.

barely run in, theres e60 530d's running around 300,000miles on their original DPF. nothing to worry about if youre drive a diesel as its supposed to be driven (motorway)

Edited by IINexusII

3 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

And, moreover the dpf's remove some pretty nasty toxins that otherwise the atmosphere and us would digest.

3 hours ago, sshooie said:

Just a quick look at my kids policy (Morethan)

"Why it’s important you provide correct information
You are required by the provisions of the Consumer Insurance (Disclosure and Representations) Act to take reasonable care
not to make a misrepresentation to us. We interpret this to mean that you must take care to answer all questions honestly and
to the best of your knowledge. Failure to supply accurate and complete answers may result in your policy being cancelled or
treated as if it never existed, or your claim rejected or not fully paid.

For example, this could include:
• not telling us about motoring convictions or not providing a driving licence number
• not telling us about unspent criminal convictions
• not telling us about previous accidents or losses, even if a claim was not made
not telling us about modifications to your car
• giving us false information about who is the registered keeper or owner of your car
• giving us false information about the main user of your car

And from my Hastings policy:

"Please also tell us about any of these before they happen: • You or any insured driver intend to change any of the Car/s on your Policy • You want to change what you use your Car/s for (i.e. for business) • You want to include other drivers • You intend to alter or modify your Car/s from the manufacturer's standard specification. This includes but is not limited to: - Changes to the bodywork, such as spoilers or body kits - Changes to suspension or brakes - Cosmetic changes such as alloy wheels - Anything affecting performance such as changes to the engine management system or exhaust system - Changes to the audio/entertainment system.

This isn’t a full list of all possible changes. You must tell us about any alteration you intend to make to your Car/s – both Primary Policyholders and Vehicle Policyholders are responsible for this. Failure to notify us of a modification may result in your Policy being cancelled from the start date."

Believe me after 20 years in the industry I am very familiar with policy wordings.

How they get interpreted and implemented are very different at claim time.

7 hours ago, IINexusII said:

barely run in, theres e60 530d's running around 300,000miles on their original DPF. nothing to worry about if youre drive a diesel as its supposed to be driven (motorway)

Well...900 miles last week over 4 days.... 99% motorway. 49.5 miles per gallon :wink:

5 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

^Exactly, leave it there. I don't want to breath in your nasty emissions.;)

Ha, ha!

I was waiting for your anti-diesel rhetoric to kick in.  Well done for containing it so manfully!

(I, too, would never, ever, ever remove my DPF).  ;)

17 minutes ago, Dr Taylor said:

Ha, ha!

I was waiting for your anti-diesel rhetoric to kick in.  Well done for containing it so manfully!

(I, too, would never, ever, ever remove my DPF).  ;)

Who said anything about Diesel emissions?

I just said your nasty emissions....;)