Mashed Potatoes

Retrofit E90 LCI LED numberplate lights

A couple of people have asked about fitting these after I mentioned it on another thread. I'm by no means the first to do this so I take no credit for it. I'll make these up for anyone that wants them for the cost of parts plus postage.

They're a nice upgrade, total cost is around £40 but it's an OEM solution that'll last instead of the cheap LED bulbs off eBay that don't focus the light on the plate with the lens not being designed for LEDs.

You'll need:

2x 63267193293
4x 61130005197
4x 61130007452
2x 61136925634

Assorted heatshrink or electrical tape

Soldering iron and solder

Wire strippers or sharp knife

Carly or NCS Expert to code out the bulb warning

You'll have 8 wires (4 green 4 black), 2 green connectors and 2 LED numberplate lights.

• Cut the wires down to 3 or 4 inches long each,  and strip the ends so they can be soldered. Make sure they're the same length.
  • Slide a piece of headshrink onto the wires. If you forget don't worry you'll be able to pass it over the end of the black wire all the way up.  
  • Solder the green and black wires together so you have 4 wires in total and slide the heatshrink over the joint. Shrink it to make a good seal.
  • Slide a piece of heatshrink over the 'bullet' style connector and pass it over to cover the main parts of the connector. Just leave the actual 'bullet' part at the end visible. If you're unsure how much to cover, pull a numberplate light out and unplug it. Put the bullet connector in the plug on the car and you'll see how much you need to cover. Shrink the heatshrink.
  • Repeat this process another 3 times to make the wires up.
  • You may need to lever up the locking part of the connector, this can be done with a flat bladed screwdriver. Insert the pins on the black wires into the green connector. Flat side to the flat side of the connector. They will click into place. Push the locking flap down to lock the pins into place.
  • Push the bullet connectors into the socket on the car and plug the LED units in. Switch the ignition on and turn on the lights. They should light up. If not just swap the bullet connectors round.
  • Code out the bulb errors with Carly or NCS Expert

Done :)

Edited by Mashed Potatoes

Problem with the Ebay LED's units is failing after 6 months of so, i have just gone through a second set, this time i opted for original light units swapping out the bulbs for LED's, then MP found this tutorial and posted it up for a couple of us, sometimes you can't beat original equipment.

Thanks again MP for the post.

3 minutes ago, Misterbish said:

Problem with the Ebay LED's units is failing after 6 months of so, i have just gone through a second set, this time i opted for original light units swapping out the bulbs for LED's, then MP found this tutorial and posted it up for a couple of us, sometimes you can't beat original equipment.

Thanks again MP for the post.

Likewise, till I discovered the ones I posted the link to.  These have a metal body that acts like a heatsink, and have been on the car since Dec 16

On 4/16/2018 at 6:46 PM, Dotcom1970 said:

Likewise, till I discovered the ones I posted the link to.  These have a metal body that acts like a heatsink, and have been on the car since Dec 16

I was going to mention auto bulbs direct who also do Cree led bulbs and have used them.... But I'll be keeping this link...... Cheers 

This video explains why you should be careful with some LED bulbs. As I said this doesn't effect all bulbs, but if you are using the little wedge style bulbs or ones that are requiring big heatsinks, just make sure they're not burning hot when they're on!

It's a worthwhile watch for 10 minutes! He explains things very well. And the rest of his channel is pretty interesting too! 

Does anybody know if the G30/1/Mini LED Door Puddle lights are a direct fit into the E6x?  They look like they are the same shape and size...