Jump to content
carrman

530e - fully charged range monitor thread

Recommended Posts

Lovely looking car Mike

Congratulations, the wait is finally over 

Ref your question about the range, 22 miles seems much more normal than 30.

I believe the range is a combination of different factors, including recent driving styles and ambient temperature.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheers, I’m loving it, going from a Toyota Hilux to this is a step change indeed!

 

yeah I was expecting about 20 miles range so I’m not disappointed, wonder if it was saying 30 miles initially because that’s the factory default range? 

 

Like I said it did 29 miles electric yesterday of an approx 42 mile total journey so I’m happy more than happy with that as I plugged it in at work for free! 

Edited by Mikemsp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mikemsp said:

Cheers, I’m loving it, going from a Toyota Hilux to this is a step change indeed!

 

yeah I was expecting about 20 miles range so I’m not disappointed, wonder if it was saying 30 miles initially because that’s the factory default range? 

 

Like I said it did 29 miles electric yesterday of an approx 42 mile total journey so I’m happy more than happy with that as I plugged it in at work for free! 

 

You are lucky to be able to plug in at work.

My work has been dragging it's heels for the past year and still nothing.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah it is a massive perk being able to do that, only takes someone to take a dislike to it and my MPG could tumble yet. 

 

Went to the shop in it today, about 12 miles round trip, all electric,no petrol used. The electric range is tonight saying 21 miles fully charged, I wonder why it's dropped another mile as I wasn't driving it fast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mikemsp said:

Yeah it is a massive perk being able to do that, only takes someone to take a dislike to it and my MPG could tumble yet. 

 

Went to the shop in it today, about 12 miles round trip, all electric,no petrol used. The electric range is tonight saying 21 miles fully charged, I wonder why it's dropped another mile as I wasn't driving it fast.

 

You will get used to the ups and downs of the range soon enough !

Enjoy these numbers before winter sets in.......!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Forgot to ask...

2 hours ago, Mikemsp said:

Yeah it is a massive perk being able to do that, only takes someone to take a dislike to it and my MPG could tumble yet. 

 

Went to the shop in it today, about 12 miles round trip, all electric,no petrol used. The electric range is tonight saying 21 miles fully charged, I wonder why it's dropped another mile as I wasn't driving it fast.

 

If the A/C was on when you turned the car off, then the range will take that in to account, i.e. it will assume you will use the A/C when you next drive.

I've found the A/C reduces the range by about 20%, ie if the range is showing 20 miles, it will go to 23 or 24 if you turn the A/C off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, sjak92 said:

 

Never saw the point of that, I have 40GB internet on my phone which I can use as a hot spot too. Whats the point of spending another £132 a year?

No point if you travel in the car alone.........

:rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, farzad said:

Forgot to ask...

 

If the A/C was on when you turned the car off, then the range will take that in to account, i.e. it will assume you will use the A/C when you next drive.

I've found the A/C reduces the range by about 20%, ie if the range is showing 20 miles, it will go to 23 or 24 if you turn the A/C off.

Thanks for the info. Ok so on the way into work this morning, same journey as on Thursday, it’s saying I did 134.5mpg. It’s about a 38 mile trip, I did the first part about 9 miles in max edrive and then switched to auto edrive for the motorway which was about 18 miles (doing 50 because of roadworks) then switched to max edrive for the remaining 12 miles. It’s saying I recuperated 62 mi/kWh on the last trip. I drove it carefully with aircon off. Does that sound about right? It just seems a really high mpg to me!

75476EB8-FF98-4507-8E91-C45E159561D1.png

Edited by Mikemsp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Mikemsp said:

Thanks for the info. Ok so on the way into work this morning, same journey as on Thursday, it’s saying I did 134.5mpg. It’s about a 38 mile trip, I did the first part about 9 miles in max edrive and then switched to auto edrive for the motorway which was about 18 miles (doing 50 because of roadworks) then switched to max edrive for the remaining 12 miles. It’s saying I recuperated 62 mi/kWh on the last trip. I drove it carefully with aircon off. Does that sound about right? It just seems a really high mpg to me!

75476EB8-FF98-4507-8E91-C45E159561D1.png

I think the app shows it correctly. The figure has to be put in context  - yes, you achieved  134.5mpg over that distance, but you are still paying for the electric to give you that figure. It would be useful (and easy for the app), if you could enter your fuel costs for both, and have it show you a true cost per mile. That would allow direct comparison between engine types...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with Monkeyfinger on this - you need to know what you are paying to charge the vehicle to have any meaningful measure of overall mpg.

MILEMSP - take a look at the way I worked it out in my posts of 26/4 and 27/4 on this thread.  As I said then - I would welcome any comments or observations 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't say exactly but it looks like it'll cost me approx £1 to charge it up per day, so that's £31 per month if I charge it at home everyday from empty. I can charge it for free at work so that's a big bonus. With the money I can claim back for my business miles it will more than cover the petrol I put in plus the cost of charging at home.

 

It would be useful to see the cost of charging so you could factor that in more easily 

 

The main thing that's missing is as stated earlier in the thread; letting you see all trip details rather than just the last trip and average details. 

 

I can't believe you can't do that!

 

Today was a perfect example, I did a 7 mile trip to where I was going and then another 7 home, and didn't get chance to see the details when I got to to the location so I'll never be able to see the details for that first trip!

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For some reason my journey to work today wouldn’t show up in the app despite me  having the route in the sat nav and reaching the destination. Not sure why that was?

 

So my return journey from work it did record and it said I did 176 MPG! 

Its saying I did 25 of the 38 miles on electric only and recuperated 62 mi/KWH.

I drove on electric only for the 10 miles to the motorway and then switched to auto edrive on the motorway for about 14 miles, most of which the power usage screen told me the engine was on or I was coasting (it was a 50 zone all the way), I then switched to electric only when the distance to home matched the remaining electric range. 

Has anyone else ever got these figures? 

I had the aircon off for the majority of the journey and drove sensibly all the way. 

Edited by Mikemsp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding your post on Sunday have a read of my previous posts on this thread MIKEMSP.  Not just the ones I pointed you to yesterday but also the previous ones where I mentioned how I measure the cost of charging.  Until you actually do some calcs and work out what it is costing you to charge and what it costs in petrol I think you can forget about these mythical figures of 176mpg and such like.  I think you can take what the car says with a pinch of salt.  

Or am I wrong - does anyone agree/disagree?

 

btw Your equivalent mpg will be better than mine if you are getting some free charging.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree about the cost but MPG isn't a measure of cost it's a measure of distance travelled per gallon of fuel, or in this case the effective MPG when taking into account the electric range afforded by the battery. I understand obviously fuel has a cost and electricity has a cost but the MPG statistic itself is a measure of  physical efficiency of the engine including the battery. That's my understanding anyway, could be wrong and also the car could be wrong and giving me incorrect figures, not sure how accurate they are.  

 

I'll look at your previous posts and put my own figures into your calculations and see what I get for how much it's costing me. 

 

Edit: So far I haven't had to put any petrol in as it came with half a tank and is still on 3/8's full. I've been charging at work on weekdays for free and at home every night, I think I've charged it 6 times at home at about £1 per charge, so that's £6 so far to do 250 miles. 

I know this will change when I start to fill it up with petrol but at this rate I'll only have to fill up every 2 weeks, plus say £8 per week charging. So a tank of fuel is about £52 at local rates so fuel would be £104 per month plus £32 for charging, so a total of £136 per month. Doing those kind of miles I'd be claiming back about £250 for business miles, so the fuel and electric would be covered plus another £100 or so towards the monthly cost of the car. That's if I don't need to fuel up more often than that. 

Edited by Mikemsp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Mikemsp said:

I agree about the cost but MPG isn't a measure of cost it's a measure of distance travelled per gallon of fuel, or in this case the effective MPG when taking into account the electric range afforded by the battery. I understand obviously fuel has a cost and electricity has a cost but the MPG statistic itself is a measure of  physical efficiency of the engine including the battery. That's my understanding anyway, could be wrong and also the car could be wrong and giving me incorrect figures, not sure how accurate they are.  

 

I'll look at your previous posts and put my own figures into your calculations and see what I get for how much it's costing me. 

 

Edit: So far I haven't had to put any petrol in as it came with half a tank and is still on 3/8's full. I've been charging at work on weekdays for free and at home every night, I think I've charged it 6 times at home at about £1 per charge, so that's £6 so far to do 250 miles. 

I know this will change when I start to fill it up with petrol but at this rate I'll only have to fill up every 2 weeks, plus say £8 per week charging. So a tank of fuel is about £52 at local rates so fuel would be £104 per month plus £32 for charging, so a total of £136 per month. Doing those kind of miles I'd be claiming back about £250 for business miles, so the fuel and electric would be covered plus another £100 or so towards the monthly cost of the car. That's if I don't need to fuel up more often than that. 

By way of a contrast I've spent £450 on fuel and done 2500 miles at a shade just under 33 miles to the gallon. All of the miles have been done using petrol - no matter how hard I try I can't get mine to run on the battery :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want to use electric use the edrive switch and select Max eDRIVE.  You’ll be able to use the battery for everything until it runs out including motorway driving up to around 80mph.  

 

You may have seen my previous posts regarding a 99mile journey to work, where I have achieved around 60% battery use.  Here’s what I do.

I set off from home using Max eDRIVE.  Apart from when accelerating I try and keep the percentage battery usage to under 20%.  So after around 8-10 miles i find I am going uphill and switch to battery control which I have previously set to 100%.   This     switches to ICE which will also charge the battery.  Having driven up Reigate Hill (M25) when the road levels out I switch back to Max eDRIVE.  When I approach another hill/incline and the battery usage rises above around 20% I switch back to battery control and so on between the two.

 

check out this 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve now had the 530e for a week and here are some statistics I’ve found through the app and some other things I’ve found. 

 

Total distance driven: 557 miles

 

Electric miles driven: 282 miles

 

Fuel saved: 84 litres

 

Average MPG: 130 MPG

 

Range per charge: lowest 22, highest 28

 

Time to charge from empty: Between 3.5 and 4 hours

 

 

Obviously the above figures are heavily dependent on driving style and charging twice a day, but I think the figures also show that BMW’s official claim for the MPG is achievable in those circumstances and of course if your daily commute is within the 0-40 Mile Range like mine is.

 

I drove the car on a short journey today with no charge and got 28 MPG, to be fair I was driving like a nutter and there was a lot of uphill.

 

 That’s the beauty of this car though, it can be what you want it to be. One minute it’s a refined cruiser on the motorway doing 130MPG in eco pro mode, the next it’s getting chucked around corners at high speed and accelerating hard using eboost in sport mode. I’m finding both equally enjoyable. Awesome car. 

 

The only thing I haven’t yet explored is battery control mode, partly because I haven’t had to yet. I have got a longer journey coming up next week where I probably am not going to be able to charge at the destination so I’m considering setting the battery control to 50% to save some of the charge for on the way back. If the battery percentage desired is reached does the car behave as it would in Auto edrive mode when in battery control mode?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not as if it was in auto mode.

It will use the ice while driving and the battery when going slow, but will charge the battery back to 50% when ice comes back on.

Something like that any way ..... who knows what the BMW boffins have programmed !

I'm in France at the moment and have put the battery mode to 100% so it charges on motorways.

Bit of a waste but nice to drive through the slower town speeds on battery.

And dont even get me started on the motorway prices.....:angry:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, carrman said:

You may have to pay tolls (I use a tag) - but the motorways are quiet.

 

What petrol prices are we seeing at the moment?

I go to France more with the bike than the car, and the tag is a bit useless with a bike, so I've never bothered.

It's pretty quiet at the moment anyway.

Petrol is just under €1.60 at the moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Monkeyfinger said:

You need to take into account that battery control uses considerably more fuel when active - I personally only activate it when my cruising speeds are higher, as I think the impact is then lessened. 

Yes, thats my thinking too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×