carrman

530e - fully charged range monitor thread

On 4/24/2018 at 9:49 PM, Gatwick Gaz said:

The figures were with the aircon switched off.  It was the hottest April day for 70 years last Thursday and the journey was great with the sunroof open - no air con

Same here. the first thing I do on a hot day is to turn off the aircon and open the windows....

Open windows will increase the drag coefficient whether or not it’s better or worse against the a/c is a whole new topic. :D

Re the electric range,  I’ve seen as high an indicated range figure when fully charged of 33miles but I don’t think the range-o-meter is that accurate as I seem to be achieving 24ish miles in practice regardless of the starting figure. It looses a mile after  moving 15 meters out of my drive. Then another mile at the top of my street which is about 250 - 300 meters tops. 

Wow....33 !

I have never seen anything more than 24 on mine.

I have found it quite accurate though, within a mile or two, when I check electric miles left with miles travelled.

Not sure I could live with that range,  I recently did a journey from Lancaster - Newcastle - Northampton - Oxford - Croydon and back to Lancaster without refueling until I got back after nearly 800 miles 

530D X-Drive MSport -   65.2 average on final day Croydon and Lancs and 62.2 is average for whole journey.

mileage.thumb.jpg.828d085ef88ed7bdb655f99491cd1ee4.jpg 

Edited by huggy

45 minutes ago, huggy said:

Not sure I could live with that range,  I recently did a journey from Lancaster - Newcastle - Northampton - Oxford - Croydon and back to Lancaster without refueling until I got back after nearly 800 miles 

530D X-Drive MSport -   65.2 average on final day Croydon and Lancs and 62.2 is average for whole journey.

mileage.thumb.jpg.828d085ef88ed7bdb655f99491cd1ee4.jpg 

Yes, but it obvipusly doesn't suit all trips. My average is 69mpg, because of my commute. I can also potter about locally at the weekends and use zero petrol. Suits me down to the ground.

4 hours ago, Monkeyfinger said:

Yes, but it obvipusly doesn't suit all trips. My average is 69mpg, because of my commute. I can also potter about locally at the weekends and use zero petrol. Suits me down to the ground.

no it makes sense if you can do a lot of sub 30-40 mile trips,

Pottering around locally I would have a leaf or something,  saying that I don't use the wife's mini....  I am not convinced electric or hybrid are the answer, some of our sales reps have the 530e and its nowhere near as good as standard car on long journey as its just a 2 litre engine dragging a load of batteires around the country... a lot of sales and hype for governments and manufacturers to comply with current thinking but ultimately hydrogen will be the only answer, just a question of when 

5 minutes ago, huggy said:

hydrogen will be the only answer, just a question of whe

Brave statement............

Have you ‘insider’ knowledge Sir?

Edited by BacktoBeemer

Just now, BacktoBeemer said:

Brave statement............

Have you ‘insider’ knowledge Sir?

I have some knowledge in the testing of potential fuel systems but very sketchy and nothing even in the pipeline yet ...  nothing to beat the 2040 deadline for stopping selling new fossil fuelled cars anyway,  but hydrogen is SO clean, cleaner than electricity generation and we would need to build many power stations to charge a country full of electric cars.... who knows maybe hydrogen could lead to us all generating our own electricity locally instead of thousands of miles of transmission lines...........

Unless doc Brown sorts his fusion reactor out sometime soon :)

On 4/25/2018 at 9:03 PM, Mikemsp said:

Hi all, I'm new here. 

I ordered  my first company car, having previously driven a Toyota Hilux for 4 years at the end of Feb

I've gone for the 530e SE (M sport unavailable on my company's car list, ah well), due at dealership early june. Xirallic Sophisto Grey, no additional extras. 

Very interested in what MPG might be achievable and best mode to drive it in etc. I also have a 36 mile ish commute to work like you Monkeyfinger so any advice would be much appreciated!! Is it better to drive all electric until it runs out then switch to hybrid for this kind of distance? I can charge at both ends. 

Hi everyone

I've finally got a delivery date for my car: next Thursday!

So in total a 3 month wait from when I ordered to delivery, that's fine by me! 

I don't know if the fact I didn't (couldn't) add any extras sped the process up but I have a couple of colleagues who ordered the 330e shadow edition at the same time and have had their delivery date pushed back to the middle of August. 

These questions have probably been asked many times here but here goes:

How long does it take to charge from empty using the 3 pin wall plug?

How do you set up the connected drive stuff, any tips I should be aware of? I've downloaded the app to my phone and apple watch in preparation!

4 minutes ago, Mikemsp said:

How long does it take to charge from empty using the 3 pin wall plug?

How do you set up the connected drive stuff, any tips I should be aware of? I've downloaded the app to my phone and apple watch in preparation!

Great news for the delivery.

As for charging through a normal 13A plug and socket, you should expect it to take around 3 1/2 hours.

Setting up connected drive will be easy enough once you have the car.

The dealer should have already signed you up to the various services, but when you get the car, you can use your app to register, which will involve a code being sent to the car which you have to put in to your phone.

4 minutes ago, farzad said:

Great news for the delivery.

As for charging through a normal 13A plug and socket, you should expect it to take around 3 1/2 hours.

Setting up connected drive will be easy enough once you have the car.

The dealer should have already signed you up to the various services, but when you get the car, you can use your app to register, which will involve a code being sent to the car which you have to put in to your phone.

Thanks for the answers, that all sounds simple enough. 

I take it in this sort of weather I should expect about 20 miles on electric only if driven sensibly?

2 hours ago, Mikemsp said:

Thanks for the answers, that all sounds simple enough. 

I take it in this sort of weather I should expect about 20 miles on electric only if driven sensibly?

Yes, around 20 with the air con on, or around 24 with it off.

If you can charge both ends of trip, then I guess to some extent it won't matter too much how you use the power. For myself, I can only my charge overnight at home. I always ensure I use all the battery by the time I get home-you will learn how. I sort of feel that doing 70ish on the motorway it's more effective on petrol, but the 530e is perfectly happy on full electric at those sort of speeds. 

Over 5400 miles i've averaged 110mpg (i use an app to record each fill). Best range on 1 tank was 1255 miles and 36.5 l to fill up. Worst tank was 603 miles with 40l to fill.

My commute is 23.5 miles and generally 80-99% on electric with charging both ends. Turning the a/c climate off gets the car to predict 24 mile ev range vs 20 with it on. BUT it actually makes about 2-500yds difference on my commute on where max-ev runs out!

Thanks for the info everyone, sounds like if I drive it sensibly I won't use too much petrol. 

Another question, can you use an extension lead (with a 13 Amp fuse) to charge the car with the wall plug?

I'm asking this as at my current house it's probably a bit far away, not sure on the length of the cable that comes with the car though to be honest. 

The house I'm moving to has a socket much closer so won't be an issue there. 

I would be worried about a "normal" extension lead.

You need to make sure it's rated for at least 13Amps for the length you are after.

Also, you will need to make sure the socket you are plugging in to is rated high enough and doesn't get warm or hot.

Saying all this, remember that you can set a lower charge rate through the car's iDrive.

Yes the extension lead is a 13 Amp reel type outdoors one and I was going to plug it into the kitchen which I believe usually have higher amp ratings. 

That's good to know you can lower the charge rate as I don't really need it to charge fast when its at home really. 

14 hours ago, Mikemsp said:

Thanks for the info everyone, sounds like if I drive it sensibly I won't use too much petrol. 

Another question, can you use an extension lead (with a 13 Amp fuse) to charge the car with the wall plug?

I'm asking this as at my current house it's probably a bit far away, not sure on the length of the cable that comes with the car though to be honest. 

The house I'm moving to has a socket much closer so won't be an issue there. 

Definitely consider having a charge point put in,  if it's practicable for you. It will give you a full charge in 3 hours from empty, and saves mucking about with cables. Not too expensive either. 

2 hours ago, Monkeyfinger said:

Definitely consider having a charge point put in,  if it's practicable for you. It will give you a full charge in 3 hours from empty, and saves mucking about with cables. Not too expensive either. 

+1

Specially the tethered type of charge point.

I run the supply to my charge point in 10mm cable to handle 32Amp for future proofing.

Look what arrived this morning!

530e SE in xirallic sophisto grey, no extras. 

I love it already, it also has shadowline black trim around the windows and on the side grill, was expecting aluminium after speccing the car on the bmw website, but I actually prefer the black, not sure if that’s standard or not?

Managed over 82mpg on my first journey home on a 37 mile trip, driving sensibly with A/C off so I could get a base point on what it can do when driven carefully. Think it did 28 miles on electric only, there was a lot of traffic so I was driving slowly for some parts of the route. 

Is is there a way to look at every recent trip rather than just the last trip info and the average info. As I stopped off to pick my son up and then set off again to home with no battery and it’s only giving me the info now for that short journey and the total average, I can’t see the info for the longer journey so I probably got over 82mpg for that trip as the short one brought the average down as it was 32mpg . I’ve got the app and can’t see it on there either. Would be useful if you could do that. 

Also i had an issue with my extension cable on the max charge setting, it kept saying charge failed I think it’s down to it being a very long cable on a spool and it’s getting hot? I’ve ordered a heavy duty 2.5mm cable to tide me over til I move house and won’t need an extension. I’ve switched the charging rate to the middle one and it’s working now but will take 6 hours to charge..

it was crazy driving the car away for the first time silently, so peaceful!

125A1EE0-ED6E-42F9-8BEA-A91B78A13E44.thumb.png.6ddf2f9ead244cb8d13d65e8703a4bdb.png2BF72665-7399-4A34-A42A-063BEBD2DB29.thumb.png.3e8964c16d00eeddabde1f8ba684fa43.png

Nice motor Mike.

i haven’t found any way to view anything other than the last journey.  Very annoying as on my wife’s last car via the Range Rover app you could view all previous journey broken down by each day.  It logged every time the car was used.  Very disappointed with the BMW app limitations.

As for the hot cable, you should always fully unroll a cable reel, especially in the case of high loads (around 2.3kW charging in this case) due to inductance being created in the coiled cable.  This produces heat, as you have found.

Enjoy you new toy!

Thanks. I should have thought of that about unrolling the cable!

Shame you can't view all trips. 

Can anyone tell me why when I charged my car earlier today the electric range was 30 miles, tonight after fully charging it's 22?

Also is that WiFi hotspot and Internet services feature included or do you need a subscription for the data? As it says no signal on the main screen

5 hours ago, Mikemsp said:

Thanks. I should have thought of that about unrolling the cable!

Shame you can't view all trips. 

Can anyone tell me why when I charged my car earlier today the electric range was 30 miles, tonight after fully charging it's 22?

Also is that WiFi hotspot and Internet services feature included or do you need a subscription for the data? As it says no signal on the main screen

The WiFi hotspot set up includes a free one month trial after that there is a fee based on usage.

Supplied by T mobile from Germany: It says  
Drive Start +: Contract duration 1 month
Can be cancelled monthly
1 GB of data volume each month
1 month free trial
11.00 GBP per month after free trial

The contract is £11/month for 11 GB of internet on a monthly rolling contract that can be cancelled latest 6 days before the end of the month

2 hours ago, BacktoBeemer said:

The WiFi hotspot set up includes a free one month trial after that there is a fee based on usage.

Supplied by T mobile from Germany: It says  
Drive Start +: Contract duration 1 month
Can be cancelled monthly
1 GB of data volume each month
1 month free trial
11.00 GBP per month after free trial

The contract is £11/month for 11 GB of internet on a monthly rolling contract that can be cancelled latest 6 days before the end of the month

Never saw the point of that, I have 40GB internet on my phone which I can use as a hot spot too. Whats the point of spending another £132 a year?