carrman

530e - fully charged range monitor thread

Most I've achieved was 24 miles...and just the once. Definitely seeing the average full charge creeping up but I doubt i'll ever see the 26's or 28's above. Those are figures I can only dream of. Worth mentioning that not ever battery is the same. I had an Outlander PHEV prior to my 530e and was regularly getting 5 or 6 miles more in range from my batteries than colleagues. I would be happy with 24 throughout the summer months knowing this will drop to high teens/20 in the colder weather.

I should start another topic but has anyone had a softweare update in the past few weeks. In Comfort mode the full range is now displayed along the bottom of the dials 0-400 miles. Anyone else noticed this subtle change or does it mean someone has been messing with my displays!

Not sure...I'll check my display when I leave work. Incidentally, my 26 mile range appeared out of the blue 2 days ago, so you may also see a change. Perhaps there was a software update to improve the range...

On 4/23/2018 at 8:11 PM, farzad said:

Those are impressive figures indeed.

24 is the max I've ever seen in my car, and that's with the air con turned off.

I loose about 4 miles if I turn the air con on.

Were your figures of 28 and 31 with the air con off or on ?

The figures were with the aircon switched off.  It was the hottest April day for 70 years last Thursday and the journey was great with the sunroof open - no air con

8 hours ago, Monkeyfinger said:

Of course the indicated mpg is not showing fuel efficiency for the engine, and simply depends how many miles we use full electric. By my logic, a 10 mile trip with only 1 mile on ICE should see indicative  mpg rocket to around 10x whatever you would expect if all 10 miles were completed with petrol (say 400mpg). It is good to see the modest range rise along with ambient temperatures though. 

I'm not sure I agree with all these high mpg figures being quoted.  Surely to equate miles per gallon it is all relative to what it costs to do those miles?  For your logic then the 10 miles you mention have a cost of 1 mile of petrol and 9 miles of electric - assuming you are charging at home, and not getting it free, then that has a cost.

Did you read my reasoning regarding electric charging costs posted yesterday (23rd at 4.49pm) ?   I welcome further discussion on this, because maybe I am wrong?!

9 hours ago, Gatwick Gaz said:

I'm not sure I agree with all these high mpg figures being quoted.  Surely to equate miles per gallon it is all relative to what it costs to do those miles?  For your logic then the 10 miles you mention have a cost of 1 mile of petrol and 9 miles of electric - assuming you are charging at home, and not getting it free, then that has a cost.

Did you read my reasoning regarding electric charging costs posted yesterday (23rd at 4.49pm) ?   I welcome further discussion on this, because maybe I am wrong?!

I don't think I made it clear - I fully agree with your view. What I'm trying to say is that these hybrid figures are used as if there is no other cost or implication. If you don't factor these other factors in,  then we are all deluding ourselves. However, the figures serve to indicate how much less fossil fuel we use (and I know I'm ignoring the power generation happening elsewhere) and also how much less local pollution we generate. On that basis, I think the mpg numbers can make some sense and act as a comparitive measure, but only between hybrid vehicles.

Edited by Monkeyfinger

I use ChargeNow public charging points for a £7.85 monthly subscription - and they haven’t taken any payment since November (although the first 3 months are free)!

Based on “normal” useage over this period (around 20 charges per month at a £1 a charge if I did it at home) I reckon I am in profit by around £12 for electricity.

I occasionally charge at home - but rarely given the potential cost.

On my tariff, I calculate approx. £1.05 to fully charge at home through my Podpoint. Range varies from 18 to 26 miles on a full charge. That's between 4p and 6p per mile. Depending on petrol cost and mpg, that's less than 50% of the cost of doing 1 mile with petrol. Not a bad deal really...and I have to visit a filling station far less often.

4 hours ago, Monkeyfinger said:

On my tariff, I calculate approx. £1.05 to fully charge at home through my Podpoint. Range varies from 18 to 26 miles on a full charge. That's between 4p and 6p per mile. Depending on petrol cost and mpg, that's less than 50% of the cost of doing 1 mile with petrol. Not a bad deal really...and I have to visit a filling station far less often.

+1

Whilst I acknowledge that is the future direction of the motor industry and as a ‘petrol head’ I’ll have to come to terms with it, I really struggle with these very short ranges, as a 30k miles a year driver I’m not enthused! :o

41 minutes ago, carrman said:

28k miles a year BIK user.

Yep but how many of the 28k miles are electric? 

50 minutes ago, BacktoBeemer said:

Whilst I acknowledge that is the future direction of the motor industry and as a ‘petrol head’ I’ll have to come to terms with it, I really struggle with these very short ranges, as a 30k miles a year driver I’m not enthused! :o

Very true...it's just a petrol 5er when you do a long trip. However,  I have a 36 mile round trip commute,  and therefore my daily efficiency is great. It's horses for courses...

I collect my new 5er a week today perhaps when that is due for a change - 4 yrs - the technology will mean we are talking ranges of 200 plus miles - then this ‘petrol head’ will be forced to change his ways....

Edited by BacktoBeemer
Correct typo

Hi all, I'm new here. 

I ordered  my first company car, having previously driven a Toyota Hilux for 4 years at the end of Feb

I've gone for the 530e SE (M sport unavailable on my company's car list, ah well), due at dealership early june. Xirallic Sophisto Grey, no additional extras. 

Very interested in what MPG might be achievable and best mode to drive it in etc. I also have a 36 mile ish commute to work like you Monkeyfinger so any advice would be much appreciated!! Is it better to drive all electric until it runs out then switch to hybrid for this kind of distance? I can charge at both ends. 

Edited by Mikemsp

1 hour ago, Mikemsp said:

Hi all, I'm new here. 

I ordered  my first company car, having previously driven a Toyota Hilux for 4 years at the end of Feb

I've gone for the 530e SE (M sport unavailable on my company's car list, ah well), due at dealership early june. Xirallic Sophisto Grey, no additional extras. 

Very interested in what MPG might be achievable and best mode to drive it in etc. I also have a 36 mile ish commute to work like you Monkeyfinger so any advice would be much appreciated!! Is it better to drive all electric until it runs out then switch to hybrid for this kind of distance? I can charge at both ends. 

Welcome .........

Can’t comment of the electrical bits (I’m still too much of a petrol head for all this hybrid stuff lol) that said you certainly have a very different driving experience I’m sure. June will be here in a flash - hopefully more sun and a bit less rain - you’ll get more from a charge when you don’t have to use the wipers I think.....:D

9 hours ago, BacktoBeemer said:

Yep but how many of the 28k miles are electric? 

Doesnt matter to me as I pay £150 per month less in Tax.

Edited by carrman

16 minutes ago, carrman said:

Doesnt matter to me as I pay £150 per month less in Tax.

Fair enough it is horses for courses.........

32 minutes ago, BacktoBeemer said:

Fair enough it is horses for courses.........

Sorry - to answer your question - 2007 miles of the 9800 I've done so far (mainly on motorways).

Edited by carrman

10 hours ago, Mikemsp said:

Hi all, I'm new here. 

If you can charge each end, then it may also depend on the roads you use.i have slow motorway for 75% of the trip, and although the electric motor is comfortable at up to 85mph, you may be better just leaving in auto mode. You will have fun playing. Whilst I am also a petrol head, my move to this type of vehicle has opened up a whole new avenue to explore...

3 hours ago, Monkeyfinger said:

If you can charge each end, then it may also depend on the roads you use.i have slow motorway for 75% of the trip, and although the electric motor is comfortable at up to 85mph, you may be better just leaving in auto mode. You will have fun playing. Whilst I am also a petrol head, my move to this type of vehicle has opened up a whole new avenue to explore...

+1!!!!

Its definitely NOT a Prius!

Edited by carrman

12 hours ago, carrman said:

Sorry - to answer your question - 2007 miles of the 9800 I've done so far (mainly on motorways).

More than I thought based upon the ranges discussed in this thread.:o

1 hour ago, BacktoBeemer said:

More than I thought based upon the ranges discussed in this thread.:o

I've done just short of 10k miles and 4183 of those are electric. Don't let the short range fool you - it's surprisingly good if your trips fit the ideal profile.

On 4/25/2018 at 7:51 AM, Monkeyfinger said:

I don't think I made it clear - I fully agree with your view. What I'm trying to say is that these hybrid figures are used as if there is no other cost or implication. If you don't factor these other factors in,  then we are all deluding ourselves. However, the figures serve to indicate how much less fossil fuel we use (and I know I'm ignoring the power generation happening elsewhere) and also how much less local pollution we generate. On that basis, I think the mpg numbers can make some sense and act as a comparitive measure, but only between hybrid vehicles.

On 4/25/2018 at 7:57 AM, carrman said:

I use ChargeNow public charging points for a £7.85 monthly subscription - and they haven’t taken any payment since November (although the first 3 months are free)!

Based on “normal” useage over this period (around 20 charges per month at a £1 a charge if I did it at home) I reckon I am in profit by around £12 for electricity.

I occasionally charge at home - but rarely given the potential cost.

So here's my latest update.  At my last petrol fill up back on the 3rd April I started to keep a log of the miles travelled each day, how many were electric, the battery level at the end of the day before charging and the cost of the (mostly overnight at my house) charge - on my power meter (see previous thread).

What became apparent to me was that the cost of charging was fairly consistent at each charge - so if I was down to 10% it cost me 95p.  The power meter I use is cumulative total so no room for error over the whole period of calculation.

Today I filled up with petrol after a 97 mile, (90 mile motorway/dual carriageway) journey.  For comparison I tend to travel, with my speedo reading on average 73-78mph - with the occasional spurt just because I can.

So here are my figures -- 668 miles travelled since last fill up.  388 of those miles on electric - 58%.

470 of those miles were motorway/dual carraigeway and the rest made up of round town journeys of 12-24 miles or less.

Cost of fuel fill-up £38.39  --- Cost of electric charging at my home £ 13.75 --- total £52.14

With fuel at £1.22 per litre, that value of £52.14 is equivalent to 42.74L or 9.4 gallons.

668/9.4 = 71.06 mpg

Firstly I think that the 58% electric is amazing considering the journeys and secondly am well chuffed with the overall cost and comparative 71mpg.   Thirdly I am very pleased with this excellent car that I really enjoy driving.

I did mention in a previous thread that I have been messing with the eDrive button and settings, and on motoway journeys am constantly changing the settings - and acheiving what I consider good results!

I'm going to continue the taking the relevant readings as there is little effort involved.  I would welcome any comments or observations.

A couple of calculations left out -

The mpg just on electric element

With fuel at £1.22 per litre, that value of £13.75 electric charging is equivalent to 11.27L or 2.48 gallons.

388/2.48 = 156mpg

For the petrol

With fuel at £1.22 per litre, my receipt shows 31.47L which is 6.92 gallons.

668-388 = 280 petrol miles.  280/6.92 = 40.5mpg

It will be interesting to compare the calculations when I empty the current tank and re-fill in a few weeks time.

Nice work Gaz. My average indicated consumption over 9400 miles is showing as 69.7mpg. Data shows I'm running around 50/50 ICE/elec. I think this is the key to making these cars work for you, along with access to cheap charging. The other bonus is that the 530e is a great car to drive. My particular favourite is to hit traffic on the motorway, switch on full assists, and enjoy surfing my music whilst the car looks after the boring bits of moving and steering...particularly satisfying with the silent edrive. When you want to play, sports mode and the twin motors, is still enjoyable.