carrman

530e - fully charged range monitor thread

Don't know if anyone thinks its useful for 530e owners to start a thread monitoring the Full Charged range now the UK weather is starting to improve?

13c outside and just got 19 miles as follows:

IMG_1120.thumb.png.8ab1b9236d0a8e30ed3796826030d6ec.png

So mine is showing 24 miles estimated for the next journey.

IMG_7137.thumb.PNG.f07b11dbb508309b8731626a6c99ffae.PNG

As a matter of interest I have been messing about with the electric modes and have been achieving some good results.  I hope to share those with everyone in the near future, when I manage to do a decent length journey without lights on.  Should be soon.

IMG_7136.PNG

Edited by Gatwick Gaz

Doubt you'll see much above 23/24, even in warm temps. Mine was making 18/19 through UK winter and now hovers just above 20. From my observation,  I believe it takes the previous journeys into account,  and you may see lower range if previous was full electric and low speed. 

I actually saw 21 on mine yesterday.

I hadn't seen that high a figure since at the very start of the car delivery, which was Oct.

This morning it was 19 when I got in to the car.

By the way, pre-conditioning was on and I unplugged the car just before I got in.

Mine's now fully charged after the day's run and is showing 24 miles range......woo hoo..... :-)

On 16/04/2018 at 1:28 PM, carrman said:

Don't know if anyone thinks its useful for 530e owners to start a thread monitoring the Full Charged range now the UK weather is starting to improve?

13c outside and just got 19 miles as follows:

IMG_1120.thumb.png.8ab1b9236d0a8e30ed3796826030d6ec.png

360 mi in total? 340mi without elec? What is the tank size on these?

6 hours ago, BacktoBeemer said:

The warmer weather improves the range.......

Unless you use the air con. Heat is not good for batteries anyway.  In fact, best is 20 degrees. Battery manufacturers tend to quote performance at 20 degrees. UK summers are probably ideal.

17 hours ago, BacktoBeemer said:

I assume all you electric guys must be wetting yourselves given the current heat wave:o

Oh yes, I certainly am :-)

18 hours ago, farzad said:

Mine's now fully charged after the day's run and is showing 24 miles range......woo hoo..... :-)

The 24 miles range last night had dropped to 20 this morning.

I know for pre-conditioning it uses mostly house electrics and a little of the battery, but that seems a little too much....

Well i managed my commute home last friday on 100% electric. 23.6 miles and a mix of mway and aroad. 99% electric and 980mpg on the way in today as I kicked in the ice for 200 yds for 1 overtake move!

I got 24 miles range showing today when I turned the air con off.

On 4/19/2018 at 8:37 PM, Hantsxlg said:

Well i managed my commute home last friday on 100% electric. 23.6 miles and a mix of mway and aroad. 99% electric and 980mpg on the way in today as I kicked in the ice for 200 yds for 1 overtake move!

Wow 980mpg.  I don't know where that figure comes from, but there is no way that you can get 980mpg - in my opinion.   

The way I have been looking at this is to see how many miles I get on a charge, as a fair number of my journeys take me down to 5-10% charge left all driven on battery, and then determining how much it costs to charge.  So I have one of those plug in energy monitors/calculators, where I can add in the unit cost of electricity (mine is just under 12p) and it will give me the cost after charging.  The rough cost of a full charge at home is around £1:10.   So lets say I get 20 miles per full charge.  The rough cost of a gallon of petrol is around £5.50 (121p/litre) - so i can charge my car fives times for £5.50 (£1.10 x 5).  That gives me around 100 miles (20 x 5) per equivalent gallon - or am I missing something?   So you're doing 118mpg not counting any petrol used if your electric costs are similar.  Obviously if you get your car charged up for free at work or similar then maybe you could argue 980mpg - or even more!

So last Thursday I drove 99 miles to work.  At the end of that journey I was able to charge at my work and it showed 28miles at 100%  Out of interest I managed 54.5 of those 99 miles on electric.

IMG_7147.thumb.PNG.a98f6595bc01035025d80deb9d4e9409.PNG

On the way home I managed 59.6 miles of 99 on electric.

IMG_7149.thumb.PNG.e86fc21be8f8ed62c461ad83074950fb.PNG

IMG_7150.thumb.PNG.c526dd0c1b910425fef1c27e87d4312e.PNG

and following a full charge at home showed 31 miles electric range.

IMG_7151.thumb.PNG.99d0068fdbb0a10ebdd3296682462a5a.PNG

To be honest I have been experimenting with the eDrive button and settings which has enabled me to achieve those values. 

Maybe others have been getting the same or better results - I'd be interested to know.

Those are impressive figures indeed.

24 is the max I've ever seen in my car, and that's with the air con turned off.

I loose about 4 miles if I turn the air con on.

Were your figures of 28 and 31 with the air con off or on ?

+1 for my consumption these days.

In fact for the past 2 days, with the charge set to 40%, it has traveled just about 14 miles before the ICE has kicked in, giving me an MPG of well over 80 for my 28 miles journey to work.

For some reason, holding back 60% of the charge, only gives me about 11 miles going home...!

Of course the indicated mpg is not showing fuel efficiency for the engine, and simply depends how many miles we use full electric. By my logic, a 10 mile trip with only 1 mile on ICE should see indicative  mpg rocket to around 10x whatever you would expect if all 10 miles were completed with petrol (say 400mpg). It is good to see the modest range rise along with ambient temperatures though.