Tomrx7

switched from long term e9 owner to e60

hi folks have now switched from e39 ownership to an e60 530d 54 plate manual. Got car cheap from a trader so will probably keep me and the ratchet set occupied for a while, small question tho when did dpfs get put into these cars I thought it was 05/06, I also have turned down tailpipes which I thought was another clue that there wouldn’t be one, but there is a countdown in I drive, the trader I bought it from thinks that the car was remapped but no proof of this, you can definitely hear the turbo spool and wastegate chatter  off boost quite loudly so think it may be at the very least decated, and it’s certainly very quick, will need to get it up on ramps have have a good look underneath, also on the way home noticed an unusual silver button on the dash that I resisted the temptation to press till I got home as no idea what would happen, turns out it switches on some sort of sport mode that appears in the cluster display 

1C850795-61B7-4AFB-BFC5-B25D78D18126.png

2C6322C0-F3BB-4E74-9ADF-DF139A68A420.png

B362B7C1-5BB3-4A29-AACD-6C30AAB8DF93.png

5E0A404F-B122-4EE9-916E-2E62D965819F.png

0A9F3487-E1CD-4CB1-98E4-317BB3C93B19.png

Your cancer pipes are pointing down, so you don't have the DPF.  You did still have a catalyser though 

4 minutes ago, Dotcom1970 said:

Your cancer pipes are pointing down, so you don't have the DPF.  You did still have a catalyser though 

That’s what I would have thought but why would there be a particulat filter countdown in I drive?

9 hours ago, Tomrx7 said:

That’s what I would have thought but why would there be a particulat filter countdown in I drive?

Could that not just refer to the exhaust system inspection rather than the DPF?  

http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/61154-statutory-exhaust-inspection/

it must have a dpf When I plugged in Carly it’s showing it’s soot and ash content in the monitoring parameters, iirc it showed 61g soot and 2g of ash  which is very  high and surprisingly hasn’t thrown up a fault code and the particulate filter bit in idrive is showing 120000 miles weird , if it had been removed would Carly pick up a random reading 

64ADA037-5077-4CBA-93BB-84A51C1F7282.png

Strange because RealOEM is showing two different back boxes, an EU3 with down pipes and an EU4 with straight pipes.

Only EU4 vehicles have the DPF so unless a different rear box was fitted at some point?

10 minutes ago, Dotcom1970 said:

Strange because RealOEM is showing two different back boxes, an EU3 with down pipes and an EU4 with straight pipes.

Only EU4 vehicles have the DPF so unless a different rear box was fitted at some point?

I think it may have,doing a bit of googling it seams production March 2004 onwards are euro 4, my production date was 12/2004, would have thought 61g of soot would have flagged on the idrive tho, 

1 minute ago, Tomrx7 said:

done that already build date was 6/12/04

Then yours was built after mine, and mine has a DPF, so yeah, looks like someone swapped the back box...

18 hours ago, Dotcom1970 said:

Then yours was built after mine, and mine has a DPF, so yeah, looks like someone swapped the back box...

Glad that’s cleared up, Going to take it into ecotune  Glasgow and get them to check it all out and see what’s been done mapped or removed etc to give me a baseline to work with as I’m flying blind at the moment, 

Edited by Tomrx7

There isn't a back box as such, the exhaust is one piece until it hits the DPF.

I bet someone has swapped the exhaust for a pre-DPF version to allow for no DPF to be present. For an MOT inspection it would all look correct unless you get into the detail of decoding the VIN.

The DPF hasn't been deleted in the DDE though. The soot and ash are calculated values based on mileage, fuel consumed, regens, back pressure etc. So physically removing the DPF wouldn't zero those figures.

13 minutes ago, JasonH said:

There isn't a back box as such, the exhaust is one piece until it hits the DPF.

I bet someone has swapped the exhaust for a pre-DPF version to allow for no DPF to be present. For an MOT inspection it would all look correct unless you get into the detail of decoding the VIN.

The DPF hasn't been deleted in the DDE though. The soot and ash are calculated values based on mileage, fuel consumed, regens, back pressure etc. So physically removing the DPF wouldn't zero those figures.

that could make sense a bit of mot stealth, the guys at eco tune have pulled the current map and have analysed it, they state that there is a map for dpf agr cat removal but is only partial and doesn’t cover everything it should and certain things have been missed, so least now I know