Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
BRB

530d vs 540d vs 550d

Recommended Posts

I know many of us were disappointed that BMW UK did not choose to bring th 540d or the 550d to these shores.  I left behind a 335d when I collected my 530d and (whilst the 5 is so mauch better in nearly every way) would have loved the option for the slightly more powerful engine.

I found a comparison of the four engine options.  Link here  It was interesting to me that there was not too much difference between the 530d and the 540d.  My interest is now in the 550d.....

How much difference is there between the two?  I understand that there are four turbos and all the associated plumbing, but presumably there are different ECUs, control units, etc?

Ultimately I'd love to understand how easily the 530d could be 'upgarded' to have a 550d engine.  I've never really modded a car, and have never really felt that upgrades are worthwhile, but this has got me thinking.

Thoughts appreciated.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The M550d is available in 2018 according to carwow.  List price for a touring version is £58 k. A lot cheaper than a M5

 

https://www.carwow.co.uk/news/bmw-5-series-m550d-price-specs-release-date-3593

 

I saw a 435d xdrive on a 18 plate today.  Its strange the 535d wasn't available.  The 530d is pretty good and has no shortage of power, but it does suffer from turbo lag 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Carrera77 said:

The M550d is available in 2018 according to carwow.  List price for a touring version is £58 k. A lot cheaper than a M5

 

https://www.carwow.co.uk/news/bmw-5-series-m550d-price-specs-release-date-3593

 

I saw a 435d xdrive on a 18 plate today.  Its strange the 535d wasn't available.  The 530d is pretty good and has no shortage of power, but it does suffer from turbo lag 

 

I think BMW have since stated that it won't be for sale in the UK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Johnyboy said:

 

I think BMW have since stated that it won't be for sale in the UK.

 

you mean the 550d?

 

edit. you're right - that article was dated April 2017 and as of May last year they changed their mind

Edited by Carrera77

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Packaging can be an issue. That's a LOT of plumbing to fit down the side of the engine with the steering also running through the same space. I've not seen a lot on the Gxx cars yet, but are there other RHD markets getting the multi turbo engines?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah back to the topic . Quad turbos will be the most complex arrangement ever and the only mod will have to some sort of BMW supplied kit IMO. 

 

the 435d seems to be available in the UK ( I just saw one today) and I was wondering if the twin turbo from that could be swapped over 

Edited by Carrera77

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Mazi said:

Just buy an M5...........


An M5 won't be an estate.  It won't be a diesel, so won't have the grunt for towing.  And it won't have the economy.

 

Beyond that, I'm sure you're right.  Thanks!  :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 435D, 335D, 640D and Fxx 535D use the N57 diesel not the B57, so I highly doubt parts will bolt up to it. In a year or so as the cars become more common it may be possible to look into it, but the actual hardware (both electrical and mechanical) would present a challenge. Everything is possible though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've just done some cross referencing of part numbers and Internally to the engine, the crank is the same between the 530D and 540D but not the M550D. As are the connecting rods, but the pistons are different.

 

The inlet and exhaust cams are the same between the 530D, 540D and M550D.

 

The intake valves are the same between the 530D and 540D but are a different part number for the M550D.

 

The exhaust valves are the same between the 530D 540D and M550D.

 

The cylinder head is unique to the 540D - the 530D and M550D are different part numbers.

 

The DPF is unique between the different engines. The SCR catalytic converter is shared between the 530D and 540D but not the M550D.

 

The fuel pump is shared between the 530D and 540D but not the M550D.

 

The injectors are (oddly) shared between the 525D and 540D, but not the 530D. 530D and M550D are different part numbers. The fuel rail and rail pressure sensors are also different between models.

 

There's also a few differences with other parts such as the rear diff and shafts. Yes it would be possible to do the swap providing it fitted down there with the steering column etc, but it would be expensive to do it 'properly'. You could possibly get away with not changing SOME parts depending on what you were increasing the power to, but some parts would definitely need to be changed to keep up with the demand on the engine.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're right there may be little compatibility . Sometime new engines are just evolutionary but the B57 engine is a new modular design built in units of 500 cc

 

whats interesting is the B37 ( the 1.5 litre 3 cylinder engine for the Mini) has received a twin turbo upgrade . Is not the B57 quad turbo actually two sets of twin turbos used for the B37?  It would make sense if they are modular .

Edited by Carrera77

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BRB said:

I know many of us were disappointed that BMW UK did not choose to bring th 540d or the 550d to these shores.  I left behind a 335d when I collected my 530d and (whilst the 5 is so mauch better in nearly every way) would have loved the option for the slightly more powerful engine.

I found a comparison of the four engine options.  Link here  It was interesting to me that there was not too much difference between the 530d and the 540d.  My interest is now in the 550d.....

How much difference is there between the two?  I understand that there are four turbos and all the associated plumbing, but presumably there are different ECUs, control units, etc?

Ultimately I'd love to understand how easily the 530d could be 'upgarded' to have a 550d engine.  I've never really modded a car, and have never really felt that upgrades are worthwhile, but this has got me thinking.

Thoughts appreciated.

 

If you stop at few seconds after start, you will see the 520d had a head start . The 530d started late making the diff with 540d even smaller

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

I just had another poke through RealOEM and looking at the setup it's completely different. I've never seen anything like it before. That quad turbo system is a real work of art. 

 

 

well you get value for money with your BMW . Isn't that great

 

:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great shame about the M550d. 

 

Think MANY people would be happy to pay premium for it in price for the sub M car. 

 

Also, price of all other diesels would be driven down slightly as the 550d was supposed to have an RRP of £68k +/- based on what dealers knew. They knew in early April that the 540d and M550d were going to be cut from the UK. 

 

Had the the opportunity to drive a M550d F10 in December. Had to go to Poland for a few days between Xmas and NYE for a family issue. 

 

As rentals were hard to come by and most of your run of the mill stuff was taken, only Luxury car hire places in Warsaw had cars. Prices super inflated but considering there was no one hiring I managed to get a M550d for around £180 equivalent for a 48 hour period. 

 

The torque was supreme and I can only imagine that a G30 variant would be even faster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×