dee121

Windscreen Washer filler tank cleaning Solution

BMW 520D  2008 2.0L 177BHP

Last week I asked the forum  is anyone had any solutions to low water pressure form windscreen washer tank.

Some suggested taking the tank off completely and cleaning out the dirt and gunge.  

I thought of an other idea and it worked a treat.

I emptied the tank by using up the water that was left in it.  I then poured in some kitchen drain cleaner.  I left it sitting overnight.

Next day I disconnected the two pipes below the spray nozzles on the bonnet. I pointed the pipes into the gutter drain in the engine bay and filled the washer tank with water.   I then sat in the car and pulled the washer handle at the ignition until it emptied the tank.  The water that came out of the pipes was thick with dirt. The drain cleaner had done it's job.

I repeated what I had just done with filling the tank with water and emptying out through the disconnected pipes. I then connected the pipes back onto the bonnet nozzles, filled the tank again and the washers are working stronger than ever.  

It has made such a difference to the washers.  Really pleased with outcome and I suggest everyone should do it if they come across low pressure problems again.

Sounds interesting. Not being very domesticated myself, what quantity of which brand would you recommend and is there any risk to the lifespan of the components? Or if anyone else has an opinion.

Thanks for replies Guys..

Dark Horse:

Regarding quantity,,,I put in the equivalent of about 4 table spoonfuls.. It is only a small tank when you think about it and so it wouldn't take a lot of drain cleaner to clean such a small area.

As for risk to components, I would say that there is absolutely zero risk to the lifespan of any components. These cleaners are designed to clean up grime and gunge and little else.

So as far as the risk to components, as I have said there will be none.

I am still amazed at the power of water coming out of the jets now.  It was just one of those things that you stumble into and it works.  i would give a good flush out about every year.

Hope this re assures you Dark Horse.

I suggested using 4 table spoonfuls ,, well what I actually done was pour in enough so I knew it would be enough to sit in the bottom of the tank and work on the gunge overnight.  

So maybe the amount was slightly more than 4 table spoonfuls. 

Live life on the edge and put more in if you feel like it LOL

I hope you all have the same success with it as I did. 

Thanks for the info, I'll put this tip on my 'todo' list. The washers currently work ok when parked but at speed they are useless and tend to leave a dry dirty area on the right of the screen. A bit extra jet power should resolve.