paulandchez

Pot hole! Burst 2 tyres

Argh!!!! Bloody pot holes. Burst my front drivers tyre and the rear. Rears are both run flats but fronts are normal (previous owner) I’ve no spare.....so, do I go run flats all round or not? 

Either way.....got any tips on keeping costs down....in Preston, Lancashire 

Is it your tyres or have you fuckered your wheels? 

Theres plenty of cheap arse places in Preston ;) 

but generally normal tyres are cheaper than run flats and comfier as well? 

I use a bloke by mine (southport) an he’s quite good! But I think he’s just like any other tyre place??

12 minutes ago, golfpaul said:

There is a few potholes near me, so big I feel like fencing them off.

Likewise here.  The A27 west from Chichester is a right mess

7 minutes ago, paulandchez said:

So run flats are a harder ride?  Can you fit a full size spare in the boot location or only the expensive pace saver ones?

You can fit a full size, but you need to relocate all the electronic modules in the tyre well.  I keep a full sized spare in my garage along with the space saver in the car.

18" RunFlats are a choppier ride, hopefully the extra sidewall reinforcements will help prevent alloy wheel damage, sadly potentially transferring more energy to stress the suspension parts. So I try to never hit a pothole and definately not under braking/acceleration, actively dodging as many bumps as possible, I pitty any motor cyclist following/passing me though :o:angry:. The regular commute is predictable but going somewhere new is often an unpleasant challenge.

In the 80s I can't ever remember seeing a 8" pothole and never on a motorway. Judging by the state of the UK's infrastructure it seems clear that the country is rapidly declining to 2nd world status.

@paulandchez

Another Prestonian here pal ;) Ignore @Yokozuna - he's a Southport AA member and I don't mean the breakdown folk :lol::P 

Personally I'd ditch the RFTs and go for normal tyres all round, a much better drive and feel and less back-breaking too!

My pops-in-law has an F10 530d and has just gone from RFTs to Uniroyal RS3s all round, non-RFTs and he's been amazed at how much better the ride is and handling feels a lot better too, less skipping!

Not sure where in Preston you are; but I source my tyres from either Camskill or Tyreleader online and then get them fitted by the lads at Autosave in Bamber Bridge

One of the best things I did to my car - removed RFT's and put normal tyres, what a difference it was!

On 15/04/2018 at 3:18 PM, d_a_n1979 said:

@paulandchez

Another Prestonian here pal ;) Ignore @Yokozuna - he's a Southport AA member and I don't mean the breakdown folk :lol::P 

Personally I'd ditch the RFTs and go for normal tyres all round, a much better drive and feel and less back-breaking too!

My pops-in-law has an F10 530d and has just gone from RFTs to Uniroyal RS3s all round, non-RFTs and he's been amazed at how much better the ride is and handling feels a lot better too, less skipping!

Not sure where in Preston you are; but I source my tyres from either Camskill or Tyreleader online and then get them fitted by the lads at Autosave in Bamber Bridge

I use Autosave too! They’re sorting me out this week.

cheers for all, the replies.  It’s much appreciated 

Get on to the council.

I mashed a rft and rim in a pothole on my E60.  Council payed out over 90% of the costs after sending a couple of letters.  New tyre, new rim and a full four wheel alignment.

I hit a pot hole that was 8ft long, 3ft wide and 6 inches deep and covered in water so you couldn't see it. Knackered 2 tires and 2 wheels. Over £800 of damage put on insurance. Council refused to pay out, but strangely I was writing to them on another issue a year or so later when I dropped in that I should take them to court over their lies about not knowing of this pothole (there were white paint marks visible when the water level dropped) and out of the blue a cheque for £800 arrived. I rang the insurance and said that it was probably theirs, and they said well done for get resolution, but they also had a cheque for £800 to cover the initial payout.