Sign in to follow this  
duncan-uk

Reconditioning injectors

Just musing really But I see you can buy seals for not much money and an ultrasonic bath for not much more. 

So can injectors be refurbed diy? Any special tools needed? Is there a good how to?

Dunc 

when one of my injectors decided enough was enough I had the same thought, and IF you can be arsed and IF your willing to maybe just buy a new one anyway then yes it’s pretty straight forward, however I just paid some other Cnut to do it for me ;) 

I think it’s about 50% of the cost of new if you want to DIY it? But yep you’re right, it’s very expensive for six

Dunno mate? I’m going from memory and the cost of my injector new was around £190 but I could of got all the gubbins for it for around the £60 mark or maybe £80? Dunno? 

I got it fitted with a 12 month warranty for £320, that Included diagnosis @ £80 (1hrs labor plus vat) 

so if yours are come by in at less than the cost of 1 new injector then go for it :D 

It can be done. Plenty of videos on youtube. To take it apart you'll need a tool for the top inside nut, can be made out of M10 extension nut and drilling the center. Some kind of tool is required to insert the new teflon seal properly. 

A few selected videos on this subject. All those special tools are not necessary but of course makes the job easier and less risk to break anything. The stroke measurement is not necessary if you only renew the teflon seal and you would also need a set of shim washers. The most important is a tool the insert the new teflon seal so that it doesn't break and goes in straight and all the way to bottom sealing surface. Here is one special tool for the job. CLICK A friend of mine repairing these machined a simple suitable tool from brass. 

You will need a proper ultrasonic cleaner which can heat up the cleaning solution. For small parts you'll need a small basket with finer mesh. Before taking the injector apart clean the outer surfaces with motor parts cleaner or similar. After cleaning the parts in ultrasonic cleaner blow them dry and dip in clean diesel.

You can buy a proper socket or use M6 extension nut (may need some extra drilling on the bore).

41WQ9OLWW5L._SY445_.jpg

I tried to make a sketch of a simple two part seal insert tool which can be turned preferably from brass. The lip on the other end is for seal and metal support ring. The outer part just rests on the injector and keeps the tool straight when pushing the seal in place (keeping the injector core upside down).

Injector tool.jpg

Edited by Clavurion