golfpaul

Dpf removal, and new mot rules...

What's the score with the new MOT rules regarding dpf's if it's been removed?

I've a 2004 530d that's had its removed

Will I be scrapping it next mot? :o

If the MOT tester sees that it has been removed - Fail

If the car exceeds emissions standards - Fail

If the car has visible emissions - Fail

If the car has a gutted DPF, but passes both the emissions and visibility - Pass

4 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Does a 2004 car need a DPF? Aren't the rules from 2006?

I assume if it was fitted, it needs to be there - That's why I'm leaving mine in place.

Straight exhaust.

Has receipts for ' carry out dpf solution and swirl flap delete '.

Don't know if that means removed or gutted...

Should it be visible if there, or is it hidden/covered?

I have a 320d E91 57plate and the cancer pipe points downwards so does that mean I’ve no dpf? 

On my year they had an engine upgrade/refit to the engine that had the chocolate chains, I’ve been led to believe that the downward zorst is the early engine and the zorst that sticks out is the upgrade engine with the chocolate chain :lol: so does that count with the dpf then? :? 

If the tester can see the dpf and it looks like it has been opened and re-welded then you must provide evidence/proof of why this has taken place ie..opened to be cleaned etc ...no proof then it's a fail.

1 hour ago, golfpaul said:

Straight exhaust.

Has receipts for ' carry out dpf solution and swirl flap delete '.

Don't know if that means removed or gutted...

Should it be visible if there, or is it hidden/covered?

DPF solution is usually removed,  from experience! Depending on who has done it, they may well have cut a little flap in the top of the box so you wouldn't see it anyway, or just smashed it out of the end with a hammer and chisel and nothing was actually cut at all. 

Edited by Mashed Potatoes

Wait and see what happens.

All petrol cars have to have CATs on by law since like '93 ... yet there are loads without!

Edited by Wabby

1 hour ago, Yokozuna said:

I have a 320d E91 57plate and the cancer pipe points downwards so does that mean I’ve no dpf? 

On my year they had an engine upgrade/refit to the engine that had the chocolate chains, I’ve been led to believe that the downward zorst is the early engine and the zorst that sticks out is the upgrade engine with the chocolate chain :lol: so does that count with the dpf then? :? 

Correct. Only a small handful of the 163BHP engines had a DPF, 99% didn't. Pointy down tailpipe is the giveaway. Out of the maybe 150 320D 163BHPs I've mapped over the years, only 2 had DPFs in.

23 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

DPF solution is usually removed,  from experience! Depending on who has done it, they may well have cut a little flap in the top of the box so you wouldn't see it anyway, or just smashed it out of the end with a hammer and chisel and nothing was actually cut at all. 

Thanks for that.

It was done at Riverside Racing in Speke, your neck of the woods.

17 minutes ago, golfpaul said:

Thanks for that.

It was done at Riverside Racing in Speke, your neck of the woods.

Ah fair enough. Might be worth just giving them a ring and asking - I've never dealt with them but I've heard through the grapevine they're good to deal with, so if you explain what you have and what you've had done they might be able to tell you how they've done it.

52 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Correct. Only a small handful of the 163BHP engines had a DPF, 99% didn't. Pointy down tailpipe is the giveaway. Out of the maybe 150 320D 163BHPs I've mapped over the years, only 2 had DPFs in.

But what about this smoke thing? 

As when I run our dirt box on normo diesal it pumps out a shit load of black smoke, the type that sticks to the rd! :shock: when you boot it, however when I stick the “super” diesal in there is no smoke at all....

I know what your going to say, run a tank of “super” through it before the MOT and then fill up a day or 2 before with “super” an the job’s jobbed.....

;) 

1 minute ago, Yokozuna said:

But what about this smoke thing? 

As when I run our dirt box on normo diesal it pumps out a shit load of black smoke, the type that sticks to the rd! :shock: when you boot it, however when I stick the “super” diesal in there is no smoke at all....

I know what your going to say, run a tank of “super” through it before the MOT and then fill up a day or 2 before with “super” an the job’s jobbed.....

;) 

As far as I know the stricter visual smoke test only applies to cars with DPFs so as long as yours passes the old smoke test, nothing to worry about. They're normally pretty smoke free those 163s, any signs of boost leaks or anything?

And fill it with V-Power before the MOT ;)

Oh on a side note, have you noticed the amount of 335d’s that are running at least 350bhp for sale on eBay? They’re some what cheaper than they where this time last year, wounder why........

;) 

Just now, Mashed Potatoes said:

As far as I know the stricter visual smoke test only applies to cars with DPFs so as long as yours passes the old smoke test, nothing to worry about. They're normally pretty smoke free those 163s, any signs of boost leaks or anything?

And fill it with V-Power before the MOT ;)

Fucked if I know? 

I just stick the fob in the dash, ignore the warning lights and press the go pedal as far as it will go! :lol: 

It’s never fails me yet.....

;) 

11 minutes ago, Yokozuna said:

Oh on a side note, have you noticed the amount of 335d’s that are running at least 350bhp for sale on eBay? They’re some what cheaper than they where this time last year, wounder why........

;) 

Oh yeah there's a lot of them popping up now with people jumping ship back to petrol. I take the power claims with a pinch of salt now though in eBay adverts. I had one in like that once, guy came in for EGR removal, apparently it was already mapped to 380BHP. I looked at the file out of curiosity. 3% fuel rail pressure increase and that was it. No injection timing or duration changes, no torque limiter mods or anything. Certainly not 100BHP worth of mods. I think we just stuck a tried and tested stage 1 on it which with the DPF still in realistically makes about 360BHP. The customer said it was a complete night and day difference. 

9 minutes ago, Yokozuna said:

Fucked if I know? 

I just stick the fob in the dash, ignore the warning lights and press the go pedal as far as it will go! :lol: 

It’s never fails me yet.....

;) 

Best way sometimes. A redline a day keeps the mechanic away. :lol: