falcodub

Breakdown cover

My breakdown cover renewal is in. 

166 quid for a year with RAC. 

Recovery etc and two people. 

However. Year on year they put it up without me claiming and I have to threaten to leave to get it back down. 

Last year was £115 for the same cover. 

RAC have always been good when I’ve needed them but maybe time for a change?

Any recommendations?

GEM motoring assist seems to come out well at £112

Anyone using them?

Green flag offer 50% off my rac renewal but only if the car is under 10 years old. Pah

I'm with Greenflag, rate them well for the times i've had to use them. I've got full personal cover (except Europe) and i've just renewed - was £130 this year, but the car is now 10 years old and i did have a couple of call outs last year. Always out within the hour and the service is good. 

We have a breakdown plan via insurers Direct Line, and last time I used them it was Green Flag. Good service. Can't remember the level of cover, but  it covers me + wifey, two cars, and I believe it covers us if we're passengers in someone else's car that breaks down. Would need to check that last bit though.

Edited by pidgeonpost

Best one for us with 3 cars in the family (one from 1999) is to have it covered by a bank account - in our case Nationwide flex plus which covers you for any car anywhere in Europe - cost of the account is £13 a month but you can get half of that back in interest if you leave enough money in. 

It also covers family holiday insurance, mobile phone insurance plus something else. You also get £100 if someone refers you when you open the account!

Gone to green flag this year because rac prices just keep going up, got there top pack (not Europe) for £74...

If your car is less than 10 years old they will beat rac/aa renewal by 50% 

I use Autoaid used them once without any issues £43 a year and it covers you in any car and your spouse, includes onwards travel overnight accommodation hire car home start basically the top package that aa and rac cover just not at there stupid prices. 

I rang the RAC to cancel last week and when asked about the price I mentioned quidco and AA for the better cover so they dropped it to £79 with £152 discount including an upgrade to premium policy. Saved pissing about with Quidco.

Well worth checking the price with quidco before you call so you have the facts to hand.

Edited by GoNz0

I have just renewed with Autoaid for the 3rd year.

Not had to use them yet so not sure how good they actually are but cheap at £43 a year.

Cheers,

Dean