chicaneuk

Occasional strong smell of diesel exhaust in the cabin..

Hey folks..

My 530d has suffered, for a while, of a strong aroma of diesel fumes in the cabin - normally when starting up and when sat idling. It's more of a burnt / dirty diesel exhaust type smell rather than diesel fuel so I suspect it's not a fuel leak. Coincidentally, I also find that the noise of my turbo is VERY noticeable, in a way I didn't expect when I first bought it.. like.. you can hear it immediately as soon as it starts to spool up quite clearly. I expected it'd sound a little more refined. Been suffering from a few headaches lately and have a horrible feeling it might be exhaust fume related so getting it looked at now as a matter of priority. 

I've got it booked into the garage on Thursday as I don't typically tend to tackle the jobs on the underside of my car myself (no real space to work on a car safely when it's jacked up unfortunately) but I'm just trying to find out most likely causes, just really for my own information - I'm going to guess there's a good chance the exhaust flexy pipes could be shot. I read that the E60 suffers from cracked manifolds - does the E39 suffer in the same way? I'm not too concerned as neither of those jobs are expensive (I'm amazed at how cheaply you can buy brand new, good quality exhaust manifold kits on eBay) - but just wonder if there's any other common places that can cause the smell of exhaust fumes in the cabin.

Thanks. 

Edited by chicaneuk

Easy to check exhaust. With it idling using a balled up rag gradually restrict the gas from tailpipe and see if it is easily able to exit elsewhere underneath with a tell tale hiss. Easier if someone else can do the tail end bit while you listen. If you feel a pressure building with no hissing forward then the exhaust is fine and don't push your luck completely blocking it or you might cause a blow.

You might see just a few posts below where I changed my flexys.

Edited by Droverunner

Hm. Disappointingly just had a call from the garage saying they had a look around and couldn't find anything obvious. Presumably they had it on the ramps as they were doing the rear brake pads at the same time so would have had the chance to inspect the exhaust flexi's. Going to pick it up at lunch time though so we'll see if they have any other information to give me.

Edited by chicaneuk

Has the car been de-catted? My old 330d used to absolutely stink when sat idling after it was decatted and there were no obvious leaks in the exhaust system. I don't think the fact it was a touring helped either as I suspected the fumes were coming in through the boot. 

Edited by NWJW

Hmm... good question. It’s entirely possible it has been decatted in the past but then presumably it would struggle with an emissions test? It does REEK at idle though and doing parking, etc. 

Mine too is a touring so... possible the fumes are indeed somehow works by their way through the boot. Hmm. 

Edited by chicaneuk