SuperDave

Bowel Cancer Awareness Month - please read

April is bowel cancer awareness month. This post is simply to help educate and raise awareness about one of the most common cancers but also possibly one of the least talked about and deadly - its the second most common cancer killer but can be treated with great rates of success if picked up early.:-D

Reason for posting is personal, ive been battling it for the last 18 months and if there's even a chance I can persuade someone to get checked out earlier and give them a better chance of survival then sharing my story here is worth it. I'm lucky to have got this far because although i had a couple of symptoms I explained them away to myself. As a healthy half-marathon running 40 year old why would I think different right? Well by the time i went to my GP with 3/5 symptoms it had spread to my liver and later my lungs and bits. Survival is a constant cycle of chemo and rest right now,  I dont recommend it, but the alternative when it comes (and there is no question, it is incurable this late on)  is obviously far less desirable.:ph34r:

So please just have a quick look at this stuff, only takes a few seconds, and take a minute to think about whether you have any of the symptoms or if you're old enough qualify for the easy home screening kits-its rare in young people but incidence  rates are growing frighteningly quick. 

SuperDave

BC_UK_BBC(Symptoms)-cropped%20(2).jpg

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/bowel-cancer/symptoms/

Edited by SuperDave

Dave I've liked this for the sentiment not the prognosis. Sorry to hear your story.  I have a friend who has come through this and it was one hell of a ride. I wish you all the very best. 

Good post I get tested every year for Bowel and Prostrate 

Hope all turns out well for you

Edited by Phill20d

I was diagnosed with bowel cancer in 2004 at age 62 after I found blood in my stools. Because no cancer marker showed in the blood test the doctor thought at first that it was piles and I was happy to go along with that diagnosis but eventually had to face up to reality after a colonoscopy. I had surgery- which was not nice- but I came through it without the need for a bag, much to my relief. Unfortunately the clinical tests on the bits removed indicated that it was stage 4 but I must have been lucky because after a round of chemotherapy which was not too bad and radiotherapy which had more side effects I am still around after 13 years. The very clear message is to get this cancer diagnosed early because in many cases it is then simply a matter of cutting out the bit of bad piping and joining the ends together. If you leave it and it spreads then the problem is much more difficult to treat. It is not easy to go to the doctor and talk about bleeding from the rectum and being men we tend to put this sort of stuff to the back of our minds but please do take early action if you have any of the symptoms..

SuperDave  I am sorry to hear of the position you are in  and I wish you good luck in your treatment. I commend you for drawing attention to the matter and  I hope it helps someone else 

Hi Dave, sorry to hear that!

Now, reading your symptoms, I got a bit worried as I do not have all of them just the first one, I went to see GP and had colonoscopy, the doctors said it's NOTHING to worry about as this is just a small pile, and now reading this got me very worried! 

Since I hit sixty I've been sent one of the NHS test kits every two years. You take your own samples and post them off. All clear....so far. A very worthwhile post Dave. Sorry to hear of your illness and the fight against it. It sounds like you have the right attitude though, so good luck.

Dave, thank you for raising this, like Pigeonpost I get a test kit every two years which I do myself and send off, not a great experience, but effective.

I mentioned it to a few friends and was astounded at the number of people who reacted with horror at the thought of taking their own stool sample! Surely far better a few moments unpleasantness in the privacy of your own bathroom than the situation the OP and others have found themselves in?

Vlady you have no need to worry about bowel cancer if you had have had a colonoscopy and it was all clear. Obviously piles can produce blood when you go to the loo The DIY test kits are good but not infallible as they rely on the presence of minute particles of blood in the stool. I have a friend who used one of these kits following severe stomach pains over a long period and the results were negative but a subsequent colonoscopy revealed two large tumours in the bowel which required surgery followed by chemotherapy.

2 hours ago, stevecvo said:

Vlady you have no need to worry about bowel cancer if you had have had a colonoscopy and it was all clear. Obviously piles can produce blood when you go to the loo The DIY test kits are good but not infallible as they rely on the presence of minute particles of blood in the stool. I have a friend who used one of these kits following severe stomach pains over a long period and the results were negative but a subsequent colonoscopy revealed two large tumours in the bowel which required surgery followed by chemotherapy.

Unfortunately, commonly misdiagnosed as IBS (irritable bowel syndrome).

8 hours ago, sharkfan said:

Well done for posting Dave and best wishes (as always) to you and your lovely Ladies.

Echo this. All the best fella.

Sorry to hear you are unwell Dave. Thank you for posting this as most of us want to sweep all this stuff under the carpet and hope for the best. 

Sadly I see people every week who require surgery for bowel cancer. Many in their  60’s and 70’s but a few much younger. If you have any of the symptoms listed above, please get yourself checked out. Treatment for bowel cancer in its early stages is very effective indeed. Don’t be embarrassed, your GP will have heard/seen it all before and their focus will only be on getting you the investigations/treatment you need to get better. 

All the the best to you Dave.

On 4/11/2018 at 8:59 AM, pauliexjr said:

Surely far better a few moments unpleasantness in the privacy of your own bathroom than the situation the OP and others have found themselves in?

This^^^^^! 

Just as a point the earlier you find out the easier it is to treat - there are even non surgical routes that are now NICE approved, but you have to push your consultant on it.

I guess it is easy to be worried if you have one of the symptoms but compared to the time and cost of treatment once its spread, an early checkup is well worth it for all concerned. 

Thanks for the comments and well wishes - stay healthy! 

Dave i'm sorry that you're having issues. They keep sending me test kits, now that i'm aged! I know this sounds bad, but they always send them to me in the spring, just as the beer drinking season starts and that always gives me the squirts (until late autumn when the season finishes).

I know, no excuses.

Question. How do you take a sample?

8 hours ago, JohnH said:

Dave i'm sorry that you're having issues. They keep sending me test kits, now that i'm aged! I know this sounds bad, but they always send them to me in the spring, just as the beer drinking season starts and that always gives me the squirts (until late autumn when the season finishes).

I know, no excuses.

No idea, never had one, unfortunately! 

But I put one of my symptoms that wasn't dissimilar to yours down to work stress and crappy food while working away, for a little too long, it turned out. ;)

Can I just echo what everyone has said in wishing you all the best Dave, and thanks for raising awareness. I got checked a few weeks back as was having blood when passing but turned out to be piles. It's the second time it's happened in a few years but always get an appointment to make sure.

15 hours ago, JohnH said:

The test kit has everything you need including specific instructions, but basically you poo on a piece of tissue then scrape a small amount off with a little lolly stick, then smear the sample onto a small cardboard envelope which you then seal. You do it over five consecutive days then send  it away in a sealed envelope.

It sounds gross, but it's really no worse than wiping your backside and as has been said before, the consequences of not getting tested in time can be far, far worse than the ignominy  of testing yourself.