Over the last few days the wipers have been stopping at random points.  Sometimes they would start again straight away, other times they have started working again after the car has been shut down for a while.  Fuse is okay and I have just fitted a new relay but they have stopped again tonight coming home from work.  Any ideas what the problem may be.  Would there be any error codes?  

Dont think so, the wipers will move freely enough by hand. When the wipers stop the washers don't work either.  Do they share the same relay?

A quick search shows the Relay is normally the biggest culprit but as you have changed it then it most likely is a poor battery giving poor voltage/earthing to the relay.

Not sure of the battery age.  I've had the car for 4 years now and not changed it and there was no paperwork to say it had been done previously.  I'll have a look at the battery as there should be some indicator of age/date on it.  Had no issues before with drain but its at least 4 years old now so who knows.