freaknout

Buying a F11 535d

Hi all

I'm looking at getting back into a 5 series after dumping an E60 545i for a VW Touareg some six years ago. It's been fun but I'm looking for something a little more engaging that can still take the dog and the stuff the wife says is absolutely essential whenever we manage to get outside the M25!

Do you have any topline tips or suggestions when looking for and buying a 535d touring? Are there any weak spots I should worry about, like pana roofs, or dropping air suspension?

Thanks in advance!

Jay

Wet rear passenger footwell - Water coming in via a yellow grommet caused by crud blocking the water egress route.

Rear Suspension Airsprings leaking

If it has Surround View, the nearside camera and cable may need replacing if it is popping up errors - Water ingress into the connector and this water corrodes the tiny pins on the connector as it enters the camera

You want to get one with at least a Reverse Camera, Pro Nav, Sports Auto and if you can stump for an LCI car so post 09/2013 all the better.

7 hours ago, freaknout said:

after dumping an E60 545i for a VW Touareg some six years ago.

You see that's where you went wrong. You chopped in a V8 BMW for a VW, oh dear.:P

Above what Matthew has said, look out for no aircon, the condensers fail on these and you get steamy windows.

6 hours ago, freaknout said:

what’s the easiest way to check if there’s an issue?

You open the front door one morning and see it's ass on the ground or the compressor constantly running or it will fire off an error message on the dash.

There are a few threads on here relating to rear air spring issues, some are more than just a holed air bag. Air lines and compressor faults can give issues. But the guys on here who ride on a cushion of air say it's a very nice ride even with 19" rims.

The Diesel version with the twin single tails wheelbarrow style are rare, touring versions rarer again. 

Good luck with your hunt.

PS here is the info on the yellow grommet as a source of wet carpets.

Wow fantastic response. Thank you.

Ah I see you've had a couple of 545i's Andrew! Ours was a 53 545i SE on Msport suspension and it was from Scotland....hmmmm, no relation I presume?

To be fair the Touareg really really was a great option for us, children and dog, etc. I miss the throttle response and smoothness from the V8 but don't miss the crippling servicing and economy!

3 minutes ago, freaknout said:

Sorry, one more question LCI or pre-LCI. Would be a huge deal not to go with a pre-LCI if the pricing was right? I'm not sure exactly what the changes were.

Pre LCI's are just fine just don't get the N47 engine. The LCI brought updated rear tail lights and slightly reshaped bumpers with a few mods to the electronics but nothing you'll sorely miss. Also the LCI introduced the Modern and Luxury trims in between the SE and the MSport trims. I'd always look for the MSport if you can find one as the bumpers look nicer (my opinion only of course and I drive an SE which I love). 

47 minutes ago, freaknout said:

Ah I see you've had a couple of 545i's Andrew! Ours was a 53 545i SE on Msport suspension and it was from Scotland....hmmmm, no relation I presume?

Only if you stole it from the dealers...

2 hours ago, freaknout said:

Wow fantastic response. Thank you.

To be fair the Touareg really really was a great option for us, children and dog, etc. I miss the throttle response and smoothness from the V8 but don't miss the crippling servicing and economy!

My 53 plate was standard SE suspension so not mine, my 04 plate had Sports Settings suspension.  Ignore @sshooie, he is just trying to bait me, lol. :P

The servicing on the F10 will be comparable with the E60 so no difference there, but an F10 in 35d flavour will mean you get to pass more Shell stations without having to stop, but it won't give you the V8 bellow when you press the loud pedal.  But you don't buy a decent BMW and worry about how many miles to the gallon you get, its more about smiles to the gallon.