Sign in to follow this  
BRB

G31 530dx

Very nice, and you've even provided her 'shoes' with some carpet to sit on !

What's your thoughts (bit early to tell yet I guess) on the H&K Sound System and the soft close doors, and where is the towbar or does it really fold right 'out of sight'? Enjoy it. I'm 5 weeks in to the process today and have been told delivery date of the 2nd July - you appear to have done well !

Very nice...and unbelievably quick to arrive.

They appear to have delivered you a Sophisto Grey car though when your order says Bluestone?! 

Edited by Back2Beemer

11 hours ago, BacktoBeemer said:

What's your thoughts (bit early to tell yet I guess) on the H&K Sound System and the soft close doors, and where is the towbar or does it really fold right 'out of sight'? 

So, the HK is good.  More adjustable and a more 'complete' sound than standard.  That said, the difference isn't as noticable as it was in an F31 (standard to HK).  Happy I have it, but probably wouldn't mind is I were buying used and the one I found had everything else but not HK.  If you get what I mean!
Soft close doors I'll reserve judgement.  Shut 'normally' the doors just close as they normally would.  If they just catch, then they close themselves.  I guess it means no second attempts, and (conversely) no need to slam them to make sure they close.  The challenge will be that those who slam them, will still slam them....
No, the towbar is not a well tucked away as it has been on my previous F10s.  It's not an issue for me and it's not very noticable.  I'll get a photo.  Interestingly, the towbar has been changed.  I've had two previously and the mechanism is smoother.  There is also now a brake cable eye on the stem.
More to follow!

3 minutes ago, Back2Beemer said:

Very nice...and unbelievably quick to arrive.

They appear to have delivered you a Sophisto Grey car though when your order says Bluestone?! 

Good spot!
We changed the colour on the day of order.  There was a grey G31 in the collection bay, and the F31 was Mineral Grey.  So it was swapped.
It also means that the mother-in-law hasn't noticed the car change, despite going out in it yesterday afternoon.  Just a grey BMW estate!  :lol:

Congratulations! Thanks for sharing, looks very nice.

Apart from being nosey, and having a good look round your garage, I was also wondering about the carpets. What's the thinking behind them? To protect the tyres or the garage floor?

Looks great and a sensible spec - congratulations. I noticed the colour change too.

More pics please especially of the interior. 

12 minutes ago, G Whizz said:

Apart from being nosey, and having a good look round your garage, I was also wondering about the carpets. What's the thinking behind them? To protect the tyres or the garage floor?

I once stood a set of tyres on concrete and, when they were moved, they left marks on the floor.  That suggests some kind of reaction between the concrete and the rubber.  We've had various cars 'live' in this garage, and some (my wife's TT convertible, for example) have stood for weeks without moving.  It seemed sensible to take any precautions!

Not sure if it's in my head, or whether there is any basis in science, but it's one of those 'can't do any harm' things.....

I hear you! Once it's in your head...
My imagined explanation was far more scientific - they were pressure pads so you knew the exact spot to park in!

13 hours ago, BacktoBeemer said:

where is the towbar or does it really fold right 'out of sight'? 

You can see the neck of the towbar in the first photo above.  :)

3 hours ago, BRB said:

Good spot!
We changed the colour on the day of order.  There was a grey G31 in the collection bay, and the F31 was Mineral Grey.  So it was swapped.
It also means that the mother-in-law hasn't noticed the car change, despite going out in it yesterday afternoon.  Just a grey BMW estate!  :lol:

Superb colour choice - I love mine. I only have a lowly SE, but it looks so nice when it’s all clean and in the sun!

More observations....

Active Cruise Control

This is really good. Makes motorways pleasant and is very consistent. The settings for larger gaps would cause issues with people getting impatient and undertaking. In turn, that creates one of the worst situations - a rapidly closing gap which means the car anchors on hard!

Also worth noting that the car has speed limit display despite it not being specified.

Comfort seats with massage.

These are awesome. I read a comment from someone stating that if you couldn't get comfortable in these, you needed a new body.  It's true. 

The massage function is great. Lots of choices and intensities which makes it usable. I tried massage seats in an S4 and they felt very unrefined.

Surround view.

Still getting used to this, but I'm not quite getting what I want from this yet.  I'd like to be able to see curbs when pulling round to ticket machines in car parks.  I'll try selecting a specific camera.....

Homelink.

Oh my. The simple things.  Instead of fishing for the remote whilst pulling into the driveway, the button on the mirror is an easy option.  Great few quid spend. Less helpful if you don't have electric garage doors....

My last car had ACC, and unfortunately that gap things is one of the only downsides to it, otherwise  it’s sometbing I miss greatly. Just something I had to sacrifice with it being a company car and not my own, as I couldn’t justify the extra spend. 

Great Soec - congrats

In terms of HK, difference is vast one the speakers break in. EQ allows for great adjustment and you will really enjoy this later down then like compared to the stock hifi system 

Lovely looking motor.  You must be well pleased.

Just a quick question about the first photo that shows (just about) the tow bar.

Is the panel above the exhausts a different colour?  The reason I ask is that I have a spare Bluestone one in my garage, as the M Performance body kit and wheels I specified replaced the one that came off the assembly line with a matt black one as per the photo, and the colour of my spare one looks similar.

CIMG0717 800x600.jpg

10 hours ago, BRB said:

I once stood a set of tyres on concrete and, when they were moved, they left marks on the floor.  That suggests some kind of reaction between the concrete and the rubber.  We've had various cars 'live' in this garage, and some (my wife's TT convertible, for example) have stood for weeks without moving.  It seemed sensible to take any precautions!

Not sure if it's in my head, or whether there is any basis in science, but it's one of those 'can't do any harm' things.....

Thanks for that heads up BRB.  I have stacked my original wheels and tyres on top of each other on my concrete garage floor, ready to sell when I get round to it.  They have been like that since last September.  I will be out there tomorrow un-stacking them and looking for a bit of carpet!   

CIMG0642 800x600.jpg

the concrete rubber thing is interesting. It should be very stable and impossible to compress.  Maybe the concrete hadn't finished curing - it can take a month for concrete to reach its maximum compressive strength. The process could have been short-changed some how - builders are impatient

Glad to see someone has done the right thing and got soft close doors. I'm think I need something like that - I'm always driving off with the door open.  How the doors close is a proper indicator of a premium car IMO.  The problem is the more premium you make it , the heavier it gets.  Panoramic sunroofs probably shift the centre of gravity upwards, they are not that light.  And the car is already pretty heavy

yup if its exposed to air after 7 days moist curing, it will have lesser compressive strength than 28 days moist curing

If its moist cured for 365 days its compressive strength will go on increasing and then peak . No builder is gonna do that !

http://www.cement.org/learn/concrete-technology/concrete-construction/curing-in-construction

I'm now two weeks and 1800 miles into 530dx ownership and....  I love it.

The car is everything I'd hoped for.  I changed from 335d because (with an ear issue) it was very noisy.  The 5 is lovely by comparison.

Observations so far as follows:
As per previous 5s, I'm inclined to drive more sedately, though not necessarily more slowly (if that makes sense).
The 530d engine doesn't have the linear shove of the 335d.  The 335d pulled more like a petrol engine through to nearer 5000 rpm.  The 530 also suffers (?) as it's so quiet and smooth.  You don't feel that you're making such rapid progress.
I like the change lights in sports mode!

The massage seats are great.  I particularly like the lumbar setting.

Soft close doors are a nice feature, but the doors close so solidly that 95% of the time they are unnecessary.

The car tows very well.  It's nice to have the electronically retractable towbar again.

The boot is considerably bigger than the 3.  Though the rear legroom is little different.  The extra width helps to keep my dad off the idrive controller when he's with me as a passenger.

I like the under boot storage.  The fact that it's easy to see everything in there (owing to the shape) is great.

ACC is excellent in so many ways, but I (sometimes) wish that I could set as 'normal' cruise control.  It can be a little less than smooth with other vehicles about.  And I do like the speed limit display - not ordered but came with ACC.

I'm actually looking forward to getting my new winter wheels on. As 18s I'm interested to see what difference they make.

The garage door opener is my favourite extra - cost vs happiness.   

Parking plus was bought for surround view.  It's a good feature, but I sometimes find I'd just like a plain view from the side cameras.  It can bedifficult to see how far away from the kurb you are on top view.
HK is great.  Glad I had it put in.  The sound quality is vastly improved over the 3, I suspect because of the sound deadening.

The only slight bugbear is the panel for the front camera.  It's black, not grey.  I do wonder why.  I assume (can someone confirm?) that without the camera, the panel between the grills would be body coloured?

Nope, all cars come with black surround around camera even if no camera. I have seen people remove and spray them body colour. Its very easy and would cost pennies considering its size. Looks much better with black grills tbh