How many of you have your windows tinted ? I'm thinking of getting the rear screen and rear windows done to about 95 % and leaving the fronts at the legal 70% tint from the factory. Anyone done something similar and got a photo ? 

Or should I just leave it as it is .....

All thoughts and views welcomed,

Thanks

My dad has the factory fitted tinted rear windows and they look good compared to my non tinted windows. I'm looking at getting mine tinted to keep the littl'un out of the sun. I would only go to factory levels of tint as too much tint means you risk getting hassled at every traffic light you stop at from junkies looking to score.

I've had 3 or 4 cars done and a couple of the wife's, last 3 or 4 of mine have been factory tint.

Never had fronts done as it's a bugbear of mine when I see them done.

Go to a reputable place that has a workshop and discuss what you want, they will have samples.

11 hours ago, sshooie said:

I've had 3 or 4 cars done and a couple of the wife's, last 3 or 4 of mine have been factory tint.

Never had fronts done as it's a bugbear of mine when I see them done.

Go to a reputable place that has a workshop and discuss what you want, they will have samples.

Tinting fronts would also be illegal if the Windscreen is anything less than 75% light transmission and the front front side windows less than 70%

21 hours ago, Bobsterdanai said:

How many of you have your windows tinted ? I'm thinking of getting the rear screen and rear windows done to about 95 % and leaving the fronts at the legal 70% tint from the factory. Anyone done something similar and got a photo ? 

Or should I just leave it as it is .....

All thoughts and views welcomed,

Thanks

I have the Sun protection glass factory option and I think it looks very good and it offers some protection for my rear passengers when the sun shines of course.

5acc8c6470023_MatthewF11.thumb.jpg.7984be4ca6bf7b8cc988b2092d652703.jpg

I know they are illegal and I see loads tinted, shame there are no police to enforce any motoring laws anymore.

I also don't like making eye contact with drivers as I think it can escalate any issues.

23 minutes ago, sshooie said:

eta, your tax disc shows the age of the photo...

but snap...

I do like the clean lines of the windscreen now without the tax disc. Yes, that was my first long distance outing in the car back in 2011. 

Oh, and Snap it is not, you have something different with the under bonnet mechanicals that let's you achieve far better MPG!

13 minutes ago, sshooie said:

The vent jobbies?

I average 33mpg so not groundbreaking

Just yours on a long run seems to do much better than mine. To France fully laden I can only average 39MPG.

I too have the louvres behind the grill so I can't see any difference between our cars.

Ah, that was my Miss Daisy driving, I'm back over in a couple of weeks so I'll have another pop on the way down as I'll have a roofbag on the way back

@sshooie and @Matthew Ashton

What feature is it that you have that gives you the black section/trim to the lower part of your wing mirrors?

First glance it looks like the facelifted mirrors with the side repeater built in, but its clear both your cars are pre facelift and the side repeaters are wing mounted like mine.

The Touring really suits the light silver colour.

I might be a bit stupid here, but I'll ask anyway....  What do you mean by factory levels ? Mine are the standard tint at the moment that came with the car, it says 70 % on the windows and am led to believe this is the factory level. I don't want to touch the fronts as I know any darker would be illegal, but am liking the look of a lot darker on the rears.

2 minutes ago, Bobsterdanai said:

I might be a bit stupid here, but I'll ask anyway....  What do you mean by factory levels ? Mine are the standard tint at the moment that came with the car, it says 70 % on the windows and am led to believe this is the factory level. I don't want to touch the fronts as I know any darker would be illegal, but am liking the look of a lot darker on the rears.

Nothing stupid about questions... 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/tinted-windows-information

2 hours ago, Bobsterdanai said:

Factory level is referring to the tint of the glass as fitted by the BMW factory when building the car. If you specify Sun Protection Glass then the glass behind the B Pillar is a darker tint from the factory. Front door windows and windscreen tints are unaffected by this option being requested. I haven't found any official view from BMW as to what the level of tint their Sun Protection Glass is set at.

I bought mine with factory tints because they were part of the M Sport Plus pack which includes HK, which was the thing I actually wanted. 

Despite not even being bothered about having the tints, I soon decided that they looked very good with the grey colour and they keep the sun off back seat passengers. Now I'm very pleased that they are there.

On ‎10‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 11:07 AM, Matthew Ashton said:

Tinting fronts would also be illegal if the Windscreen is anything less than 75% light transmission and the front front side windows less than 70%

I have the Sun protection glass factory option and I think it looks very good and it offers some protection for my rear passengers when the sun shines of course.

5acc8c6470023_MatthewF11.thumb.jpg.7984be4ca6bf7b8cc988b2092d652703.jpg

Is your Great White Fin factory as well ^^^ ?

:) 

2 hours ago, Dr Taylor said:

Is your Great White Fin factory as well ^^^ ?

:) 

Clever clogs!

I know right?? When will I learn about framing the picture. A great angle of the car but then saw option S6FIN sticking out the back.

And if you look closely I have a second camera just under the indicator repeater in the wing - Factory option S6BIGFLY.

Edited by Matthew Ashton

10 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

Clever clogs!

I know right?? When will I learn about framing the picture. A great angle of the car but then saw option S6FIN sticking out the back.

And if you look closely I have a second camera just under the indicator repeater in the wing - Factory option S6BIGFLY.

You also appear to have opted for the European Spruce Spray eco grass bonnet package.  It's great - but how do you see to park?

:lol:

17 hours ago, Park Lane said:

does anyone know the approximate cost of getting the rear half of the car tinted ( mine is a F10) and does this significantly reduce heat inside the car after being parked up in the sun?

I don't know about the cost of getting it done but as for whether it reduces heat, I don't think it is a significant amount but it does help. And the people in the back of the car don't get 3rd degree burns when sitting back in the car on roasting black leather (as in my case) as the leather is definitely cooler in the rear than in the front which still gets direct sunlight.