Sign in to follow this  
R44M BM

E39 M Audio Sub woofer options

Hi all

I am a recent E39 M5 owner.

My car has the M Audio package from factory

Previous owner had decided to rip out the OEM sub woofers on the shelf.

Trying to find replacements seems like finding hens teeth.

Can anyone suggest alternatives please?

I want to retain the OEM fitment and want them in the original location as opposed to a boxed sub woofer.

thanks in advance

Hi,

If you want 'zero' modifications or no minimal fabrication aspects/work, then it's only the M Audio drivers that will 'drop in' as it were. They do come up here and there, mainly on M5board and thus, usually in the USA so you'll have to personally import them. Asking prices for units that are in 'good/excellent' condition seem to be around the $200-300 USD level. Ones that have deteriorated a little more perhaps around the $145-175 level. 

If none turn up in the UK then once landed expect to pay between £190(ish) to £320(ish) once all shipping/import duty/VAT/ Clearance fees are added. Of course, if you see a set and can negotiate a cheaper USD price, that'll mean a lower UK landed price. 

If you don't mind a little bit of work, then some owners have ditched the oem M Audio drivers and fitted in some slimline 10 inch subwoofers. There's a Rockford Fosgate driver which gets mentioned by those who've done it and I think one or two owners have also used a Pioneer driver too. To have these fit nicely, means some work to get some MDF pieces cut and fitted so that the drivers can be affixed to them. You'll need to also install some vibration deadening material on the metal of the parcel shelf area as well. Given your car was already M Audio equipped at factory, I think the holes on the rear shelf metal will already be there. You'll also need an amplifier to drive these subwoofers as the OEM DSP amp isn't powerful enough to drive them nicely. 

If you aren't too concerned with bass performance and just want a simple route forward then once you find a set, go for the M Audio drivers and then you'll know your setup is all 'oem'. 

If you do want better bass performance, then perhaps go the slimline subs/amp route. 

If you want smooth, musical, powerful, controlled, tight and accurate 'actual' sub bass, then you'll need to go with much better sub woofer(s), amplifier(s), upgraded cabin speakers and go with a very small sealed enclosure using either single/double 8/10/12 inch subwoofer.

Cheers, Dennis!

On 4/9/2018 at 11:42 PM, DennisCooper said:

Hi,

If you want 'zero' modifications or no minimal fabrication aspects/work, then it's only the M Audio drivers that will 'drop in' as it were. They do come up here and there, mainly on M5board and thus, usually in the USA so you'll have to personally import them. Asking prices for units that are in 'good/excellent' condition seem to be around the $200-300 USD level. Ones that have deteriorated a little more perhaps around the $145-175 level. 

If none turn up in the UK then once landed expect to pay between £190(ish) to £320(ish) once all shipping/import duty/VAT/ Clearance fees are added. Of course, if you see a set and can negotiate a cheaper USD price, that'll mean a lower UK landed price. 

If you don't mind a little bit of work, then some owners have ditched the oem M Audio drivers and fitted in some slimline 10 inch subwoofers. There's a Rockford Fosgate driver which gets mentioned by those who've done it and I think one or two owners have also used a Pioneer driver too. To have these fit nicely, means some work to get some MDF pieces cut and fitted so that the drivers can be affixed to them. You'll need to also install some vibration deadening material on the metal of the parcel shelf area as well. Given your car was already M Audio equipped at factory, I think the holes on the rear shelf metal will already be there. You'll also need an amplifier to drive these subwoofers as the OEM DSP amp isn't powerful enough to drive them nicely. 

If you aren't too concerned with bass performance and just want a simple route forward then once you find a set, go for the M Audio drivers and then you'll know your setup is all 'oem'. 

If you do want better bass performance, then perhaps go the slimline subs/amp route. 

If you want smooth, musical, powerful, controlled, tight and accurate 'actual' sub bass, then you'll need to go with much better sub woofer(s), amplifier(s), upgraded cabin speakers and go with a very small sealed enclosure using either single/double 8/10/12 inch subwoofer.

Cheers, Dennis!

Cheers for the heads up Dennis, just as I suspected, OEM only! not overly bothered about a thumping sound system as the V8 M5 sound track is music to my ears!

I will be hunting the subs down on the internet in the meantime , no mega rush :)