Pete Soulby

Touring subframe bush removal tool

The one in your link looks like just a custom-made one, but Sealey make a subframe bush removal/installation tool specifically for an E39 - the model is Sealey VSE5580.

I haven't used it myself, but I'm assuming it should be of decent quality, as Sealey manufacture a variety of servicing/garage equipment. The kit is about £90-100, so fairly priced as well.

P. S. Checked the instruction manual for VSE5580 and it says "E39 Saloon", so I'm not 100% sure if it will work for the Touring as well, but I would think the subframes are the same?

Edited by Blackman

17 minutes ago, Blackman said:

P. S. Checked the instruction manual for VSE5580 and it says "E39 Saloon", so I'm not 100% sure if it will work for the Touring as well, but I would think the subframes are the same?

Subframe bushes on saloon and touring are very much different. Same tools don't apply.

14 hours ago, Pete Soulby said:

I have one of these sitting in the garage just waiting on the enthusiasm and weather to do it, it does look and feel well made quite heavy to. the new bushes fit inside it alright.  

I'd be happy to give that tool linked by the OP a go. These tools are just a basic bit of fabrication and as long as the dimensions are OK then it will work. I see they have gone to the trouble of providing a ball race to ease the turning effort/strain. If it was a total cheapskate they'd have left that out.

I found it far better to buy the tool so I had it for as long as I wanted then sell on after with little loss.

Have a look at this thread where I changed mine using the Laser tool (http://www.lasertools.co.uk/product/4769 ) which looks very similar apart from the side cutouts on the main tube... I can't remember if these served any purpose??

Edited by Droverunner