tlewisuk

Almost there in choosing a 5 series

Hi Guys,

New Member here from South East London / Kent Border.

So I have whittled my choice down to either a 2013 or 2014 520d Touring (F11) or CLS Shooting Brake upto around 50k miles.

The choice is so close it's kind of falling down to practicalities / servicing costs, and the best deal I can get on the day.   Thee 5 series is ticking all of the boxes right now!

I am in the market for a 520d Touring, which has professional nav, reversing camera.  I like the look of the M Sport but my kids are travel sick so I think that won't go down well (pardon the pun).  I've heard that there are some MSports without the hard springs but I can't seem to find any!

So I'm focusing on a SE (with Pro Nav) or Luxury model, what I wanted to know is do I need VDC on the SE or Luxury model?  I've found a couple with VDC, but sods law they are quite far away, so difficult to travel to just for a test drive, and a little bit more expensive, so I wanted to know if it's worth it!!

Also, does anyone have any experience with going via AUC?  Is it easy to get them to chuck in a couple years worth of servicing?  

Let me know your thoughts!

Your biggest decision is to buy a 530d it's much better and at the same age won't have the dreaded N47 engine which has the timing chains that rattle and require an engine out job to fix. It's worth a google on N47 so you are aware of the issue.

I got my air con condenser replaced under AUC. Which is known weak point of the car.

With a touring you want to watch out for sagging rear end which means one of your air springs had leaked. Guys on here have had air springs replaced under AUC.

I doubt you will get any serving chucked in for free buying AUC. You can ask...  

AUC will give you piece of mind for a year.

Hi, if you can stretch to a Jul 2014 520d it will have the new B47 engine in it. I have the B47 Luxury F11, without VDC. It has a wonderful ride and I can assure you for me it does not need it. Obviously if you can find one with it fitted, happy days!!!

Also, I test drove a 2014 M Sport F11 on 19'' wheels, it also drove nice. 

3 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Your biggest decision is to buy a 530d it's much better and at the same age won't have the dreaded N47 engine which has the timing chains that rattle and require an engine out job to fix. It's worth a google on N47 so you are aware of the issue.

Thanks Andrew,

I will be doing around 20k per year - 80% motorway, and if I'm honest I thought that the 530d would have high fuel consumption and that the servicing / fixes might be a bit dearer.  But doing a quick bit of research, the increase is marginal!  have I got that right?  

Also,  given the miles I'll be putting on, I could afford a lower mileage 520d but I can only afford a 2013 530d which has done around 60k.  Are these 3.0 engines quite reliable?

like nashdm2 said, better off with a 64 plate 520d, itll be euro 6 compliant and enough power for daily use. no timing chain issues to worry about on late N47 and B47 engines, just make sure you change the oil every 8-10k

1 hour ago, tlewisuk said:

Thanks Andrew,

I will be doing around 20k per year - 80% motorway, and if I'm honest I thought that the 530d would have high fuel consumption and that the servicing / fixes might be a bit dearer.  But doing a quick bit of research, the increase is marginal!  have I got that right?  

Also,  given the miles I'll be putting on, I could afford a lower mileage 520d but I can only afford a 2013 530d which has done around 60k.  Are these 3.0 engines quite reliable?

So far the N57 530d engines are very reliable. They use slightly more fuel than the 20d but the consumption is so good on the diesels is it really an issue? And the 30d engine is so silky smooth. If looking for a car from 2014, definitely go for a Luxury rather than SE. The SE was dumbed down and just looks so basic compared to the Luxury or MSport from the front end. 

Mine is a 2010 F11 SE on 19" rims and I was thinking just today how comfortable the drive was on our normal roads. 

As for free servicing thrown in for AUC cars, highly unlikely. If the car is new enough that it hasn't had its first service, BMW are able to sell you the service pack as an add on. When I bought mine it was 7 months old and I negotiated this into the deal, back then it was still a 5 year benefit. Now only 3 years. So if you are looking for 2013/14 car, probably not an option. 

The two fewer cylinders will make little difference in servicing costs.

You may only use slightly less volume of oil but the filters etc are all the same, pads and discs might be cheaper as I think they are smaller than a 530d but what you pay extra at the pumps, you will be rewarded in terms of refinement and sheer grunt.

I watched an old Top Gear where Hammond drove the F10 M5 and the verdict was, buy a 530d it's all the 5 Series you need and you'll save 30 grand!

530d No brainer!

A B47 engined F10/11 will be thirstier than a N47 engine, but without the worry of timing chains made from cheese, but the N57 in the 530d will be far better.

17 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

530d No brainer!

A B47 engined F10/11 will be thirstier than a N47 engine, but without the worry of timing chains made from cheese, but the N57 in the 530d will be far better.

+1. Having owned an F10 520d with an N47 for 40000 miles until the timing chain death rattle started, and a 535d for nearly 70000, the latter also an N57 variant, is far smoother (especially from start up), far quicker and consumes about 10% more fuel than the N47, about 1.5p/mile. The difference between that and the B47 will be less. Go figure.

12 hours ago, Johnny Grabble said:

The difference between that and the B47 will be less. Go figure.

God you are all so persistent, in a good way!

The only reason I'm keeping my options open is because I will be doing 20k per year (although mainly motorway mileage) I can only afford around £16k which gives me a 2013 530d with around 60k on the clock.  

I just moved from a N47 1 series that had the chain replaced and a variety of other issues.  I now have a N57 530D and I still get an average of 46 mpg (get 55 mpg on a run) the difference in fuel economy isn't that bad. Just get the 530D is is a nicer drive and you work the car less hard to do a decent speed. That said a stop start journey around town sees 20 mpg so I have a motorbike for that. For moorway cruising the 3 litre diesle is the best and the money I saved in fuel running the n47 (120D) could easilly have been wiped out had i not been on the ball about the timing chain (BMW said i shouldn't drive it when i took it to them and expect imminent failure).

Boring talking about economy, this isn't a Kia forum but.........

i I think my 535d is powered by a nuclear reactor, it just seems to sip fuel compared to the 335i. And I have a a clump right foot!

Ok, I test drove a 4 cyclinder CLS shooting brake and a 520d luxury yesterday. 

I liked the drive of the CLS better than the 520d, The CLS soaked up the bumps better than the 5, and the cls engine felt far smoother too, however the infortainment system in the 520d was far better, visibility on the 520d was far superior, and generally more space in the car.

Next I'll try a 530d, which I expect will be a different experience.

Looks nice, I'd personally want a rev camera but they can be added later.

Check airbags 

Aircon is ice cold

Wheels, I think these are cut on the edge not sprayed

Colour looks like it would be a mare to match so check carefully for any repairs

and full spec below

VINWBA5K12000D342153

Type Code5K12

E SeriesF11 (MUE)

Series5

TypeTOUR

Model530D (EUR)

SteeringRL

Doors5

EngineN57T

Displacement3.00

Power190

DriveHECK

TransmissionAUT

ColourKASCHMIRSILBER METALLIC (A72)

UpholsteryLEDER DAKOTA/SCHWARZ EXKLUSIVNAHT (LCLZ)

Prod. Date2014-08-28

L812ANational version England / Ireland

P7S2ALuxury Line

S1CAASelection of COP-relevant vehicles

S1CBACO2 equipment

S1CCAAuto start/stop function

S1CDABrake Energy Regeneration

S205AAutomatic transmission

S230AExtra package, EU-speciifc

S255ASports leather steering wheel

S258ATyres with runflat properties

S2PAALocking wheel bolt

S2VBATyre pressure display

S2W1ABMW LA wheel, multi spoke 454

S302AAlarm system

S316Aautomatic trunk lid mechanism

S3ATARoof rails aluminium satinated

S3DZAOmission of additional lettering, outer

S423AFloor mats velours

S428AWarning triangle and first aid kit

S430AInterior/outside mirror with auto dip

S431AInterior mirror with automatic-dip

S441ASmoker package

S494ASeat heating driver/passenger

S4CEAFine-wood version, Fineline, anthracite

S4U2ADriving experience switch incl. ECO PRO

S4URAAmbient interior light

S502AHeadlight cleaning system

S508APark Distance Control (PDC)

S524AAdaptive Headlights

S534AAutomatic air conditioning

S5A1ALED Fog lights

S5ACAHigh-beam assistant

S609ANavigation system Professional

S654ADAB tuner

S698AArea-Code 2 for DVD

S6ACAIntelligent emergency call

S6AEATeleservices

S6AKAConnected Drive Services

S6AMAReal-Time Traffic Information

S6WAAInstrument panel with extended scope

S6WAAInstrument panel with extended scope

S761AIndividual sunshade glazing

S775AHeadlining anthracite

S850ADummy-SALAPA

S853ALanguage version, English

S877AOmission of non-combined operation

S880AOn-board literature, English

S8KAADummy-SALAPA

S8S2ACoding, alarm signal

S8S3AAutomatic locking during starting

S8SMACar ident. number visible from outside

S8TFAActive pedestrian protection

S8TGAThiefproofing device

S9AAAOuter skin protection

Edited by sshooie

It has the base sound system so just 6 speakers. 2 woofers under the front seats, one speaker in each of the front doors and 2 speakers in the rear headlining. If you prefer better sound there are purpose fit upgrades available.

Doesn't have Sports front seats I have them but can't comment on comfort differences. The seats are standard part electric which is fine but the Lumbar support option was not selected from the factory so may be a consideration if you have any lower back pain issues.

And as @sshooie says, no reverse camera but it can be retrofitted.

On the plus side - Luxury trim looks very good, 18" wheels look good and the colour is nice. You've got the right engine and only 60k miles on the clock.

Check the service history in the iDrive.

Check upcoming service needs in the iDrive too.

Make sure the locking wheel bolt socket is in the car. It should be behind the offside cover panel in the boot. 

8 hours ago, sshooie said:

I'd personally want a rev camera but they can be added later

I thought it had it already - Just checked the cost, it's £780, most probably cheaper to hold out for one which has reversing cameras.  

Differences of personal wants and needs but I won't be buying another car that doesn't have reverse camera and preferably surround view (but that is quite rare). These are big cars and cameras I do find very helpful.

I would deffo have one fitted, but for me the little navs would be a no no, along with base hifi, but as you say everyone is different and i also think a lot boils down to what you've never had you never miss.

360 view not so important as you say but it has been very useful on occasion, as have the front bumper camera's when pulling out of narrow streets etc.

6 minutes ago, sshooie said:

I would deffo have one fitted, but for me the little navs would be a no no, along with base hifi, but as you say everyone is different and i also think a lot boils down to what you've never had you never miss.

360 view not so important as you say but it has been very useful on occasion, as have the front bumper camera's when pulling out of narrow streets etc.

Just realised - I see you made "Chief Member" - Congratulations - Does this mean we need to bow before addressing you?

As for the Surround view functions, I think Iv'e used the Side View function no more than can be counted on 2 hands. But the top view I use often as I'm anal about getting my big car parked perfectly between the lines in car parks and it has saved my wheels a few times like when driving onto the Eurotunnel train!

The must haves are pro nav (which is standard on luxury) and cameras and not cream carpets.  

Nice to have are panoramic roof, vdc and Harmon kardon (happy to retrofit though)