tlewisuk

Almost there in choosing a 5 series

16 minutes ago, Matthew Ashton said:

Just realised - I see you made "Chief Member" - Congratulations - Does this mean we need to bow before addressing you?

Nah, it's a measure of quantity, not quality.

9 minutes ago, tlewisuk said:

The must haves are pro nav (which is standard on luxury) and cameras and not cream carpets.  

I've been meaning to ask, I've seen 5's advertised with Pro nav and another widescreen variant, when I googled the main difference was the App function iirc. One for me to look out for as I want pro nav but have assumed a large screen = pro nav. 

33 minutes ago, sshooie said:

I've been meaning to ask, I've seen 5's advertised with Pro nav and another widescreen variant, when I googled the main difference was the App function iirc. One for me to look out for as I want pro nav but have assumed a large screen = pro nav. 

There are just 2 options on the 5 - 606 - Business Nav (6.5" screen) and 609 - Pro Nav (10" screen). The bundled additions with Pro Nav have changed over time but the basis is there.

5 minutes ago, sshooie said:

Could it have been business plus?

No such thing on the 5. On lesser models there is a "Navigation Plus" option which differs from Pro Nav as there is no hard drive but you still get a larger screen than standard and a few more bundled options. On those lesser models Pro Nav is not an option.

10 hours ago, sshooie said:

i also think a lot boils down to what you've never had you never miss.

Thats a good point. I've used nav a grand total of 3 times in over two years of my F10 ownership. Do I need pronav for that? Not really. My wife's car has a reversing camera which is useful to check that you have got the car fully in the white lines of a space, but when I reverse it into our driveway, first thing I do is turn around to look out the rear window. Although it would be great for reversing mine onto the trailer.

You just adapt to what options you have in that car.

Engine, transmission, interior colour and trim are probably the most important factors for essential everyday stuff.

Don't reject a number of cars just because they don't have a certain option combination that you are particularly after as it may still be a cracking car even if it still has 5 out of the 6 options etc you particularly want.

It's important to get one with the options you really need and be patient. Price and availability seem very option dependent. For example I got mine for less than trade in value as it had been sat around a while because It doesn't have DAB or satnav. I rarely listen to the radio and use podcasts and Navigation wise i use my phone as android has better voice support and the maps are updated for free. Likewise flappy paddles and reversing cameras (i rely on the sensors). The most important stuff for me is engine, transmission, seats (the fully electric comfort seats are a godsend) and interior trim colour. Unfortunately BMW aren't like the jap cars and everything seems an individual option and especially in the 3 liter range finding one with the correct options is difficult if you want a lot of options.

I waited ages for a 535d, MSport, HK, pro Nav, camera, sunroof and non-black leather

Would've "compromised" only by having black leather, but I got there in the end!

Must just be me, but I didn't have much choice and I'm not hugely fussy.

My E60 stopped working and I needed a replacement fast.  Search AUC website for 5 Series in Petrol flavour and I had a choice of two, one from a cowboy of a dealer and t'other was the one I bought.

The fact that it had DAB, split folding rear seats, 3AC towbar, set of winter tyres, 2 years service pack left, sports flappy auto were all a bonus.  I bought mine without seeing it.

I am quite fussy, but understand I may need to trade off when buying second hand, I rarely look at colours, other than colours I won't have (very dark and black)

I will compromise on some things, not on others.

The last 4 cars I have bought based on description and a vidoe/photo's but confirmed the deposit is on the proviso it's as described, I get them to check/photo rims etc. but it's difficult to see paintwork until you see them in the flesh and I'm a stickler for bad repairs. 

I will keep this and sell it private once the new one is on the drive, unless they surprise me with an offer which they never have before. If someone threw some cash at me now for mine then worse case scenario I would either use the kids Picanto or hire a shed for a while.

56 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Must just be me, but I didn't have much choice and I'm not hugely fussy.

My E60 stopped working and I needed a replacement fast.  Search AUC website for 5 Series in Petrol flavour and I had a choice of two, one from a cowboy of a dealer and t'other was the one I bought.

The fact that it had DAB, split folding rear seats, 3AC towbar, set of winter tyres, 2 years service pack left, sports flappy auto were all a bonus.  I bought mine without seeing it.

I'd say going for a petrol makes you pretty fussy mate, but in a good way!

To go back to your first post, regarding travel sickness: My family are all somewhat prone to this. I have noticed that my sportier cars have always caused the least and I believe this is because there is no wallowing motion. My old Disco 2 had the ACE system so zero body roll. That and the fantastic view out created zero sickness.

As far as options go, I agree with Andrew's statement that you adapt to what you have but, if you really want something, try to get it at the start. For example, I knew without doubt that I wanted folding/dipping mirrors, HK audio and Pro Nav and would quite fancy lumbar support. Those are the options on my car.

I didn't care about a camera as I have never use the one on my Dad's XF Sportbrake (same size) and didn't see the point. However, something about this car makes it harder for me to reverse accurately and I wish it had one now. But I'm too mean to pay for a retrofit so have adapted by learning to reverse it using Zen and the excellent PDC system!

Edited by Retset

3 hours ago, Retset said:

My family are all somewhat prone to this. I have noticed that my sportier cars have always caused the least and I believe this is because there is no wallowing motion.

You might have something here.

I currently have a Ford S-Max and the kids have continually been complaining of being sick in the car particularly when I'm driving around in urban roads making lots of turns, speed humps are the worst, and they never when I'm on a motorway.  

I have always beloved that the issue is 50% my driving style and 50% the roads themselves.  So you reckon harder springs might be the answer...   Hmm...   The S-Max isn't soft springs, and you feel every bump!

Thanks!

Ok a bit of delay due to work pressures.  But I've just test driven the 530d I posted up a few days back.  It's was very nice, in both comfort and sport, the only issue is that it doesn't come with cameras.  So I've will take a look at retrofit of this integrating with pro nav.

Final test drove of a cls shooting brake, then I'll make my choice.

Thanks for your help folks, and you're right the 3.0 is miles better!