MitchE39

E39 m5 Vapor barrier repair

My M5 has been holding water on the sill for a while and have been meaning to sort out the vapour barrier for a while, I already had some butyl tape left over from my old car so I set to work, what was evident is that the previous owner/s have already had a go, or someone has on their behalf. Not sure what they used but it was rock solid and provided no seal whatsoever. Images of before and after. 

20180405_165100.jpg

20180405_165029.jpg

20180405_161638.jpg

20180405_161642.jpg

Edited by MitchE39

Done mine and its still leaking.

Need to start again and remove all the old stuff

Prep is key when it comes to this

Heat up and remove all the old sealant, use something like Autoglym Tar Remover to remove the sticky residue, completely dry the area, give it a slight key with some light sanding and then use this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/W4-Narrow-Mastic-Sealing-Strip/dp/B0036APFJM/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1525158159&sr=8-16&keywords=mastic+tape

Found it to work brilliantly; stick it on but don't spread it, put the membrane back on then press it down firmly so the mastic tape spreads and fills in all the gaps

I used that W4 mastic and mine appears to be leaking again despite spending ages on prep. Hugely frustrating job this. I'm getting some oem sealant this time.

1 hour ago, Jameswsb said:

I used that W4 mastic and mine appears to be leaking again despite spending ages on prep. Hugely frustrating job this. I'm getting some oem sealant this time.

Sounds like it didn't take properly. I'd do it again with a bit more mastic this time around

I've done all my BMWs with this and no leaks, at all, afterwards and I wash my car weekly!