sshooie

New car time - decisions decisions

What would you chose, interested to hear reasons for and against too please...  

34 members have voted

1. 1. For ease of answering, they would be all similar spec, age (15 plate ish) all 6 pot, all auto.

• BMW 535 touring
    • BMW 435 Grand Coupe
    • Audi 6 Avant 4wd
    • Audi A7 4wd
    • Mercedes CLS estate
    • VW Touareg (curve-ball)

12 hours ago, sshooie said:

Thanks to everyone who took the time to vote and comment, appreciated even though I totally ignored all the advice,

That's OK. Very important to ignore all advice ;)

Seems to have worked as that looks to be a cracking car.

27 minutes ago, sshooie said:

I tend to keep cars for a couple of years so who knows what I will be in in 2 years...

Thanks

Well you know where we are if you want to ask us for advice so you can then ignore it again.:D

Would you consider putting winter tyres on it to get the most out the Quattro system in the bad weather?

Will do...

Not really, and I still say a decent set of tyres on a 2wd car will outperform a 4wd with summers, I may however see if the cross-climates fit when the time comes, currently it's on 6.5 mm continentals so it may be a while

58 minutes ago, sshooie said:

Will do...

Not really, and I still say a decent set of tyres on a 2wd car will outperform a 4wd with summers, I may however see if the cross-climates fit when the time comes, currently it's on 6.5 mm continentals so it may be a while

If those are 19" wheels n your new chariot, Michelin haven't brought Cross Climates in that size to market yet.

Running 19" wheels and presumably greater really limits your choice of tyre when straying away from ordinary summer tyres. Pity.

The choice greatly increases each each time you drop and inch from the dia. 

1 hour ago, Matthew Ashton said:

If those are 19" wheels n your new chariot, Michelin haven't brought Cross Climates in that size to market yet.

Yes same as the 5, pity reading all the reports on them. 

OK so far, very quiet compared to the 5, but it has acoustic glass which is a shame in some respects as I like the growl of the V6, it also means I'm finding it far too easy for the speed to run away

The comfort and drive is very good and difficult to tell from the 5, the seats are not as bolstered as the 5 which I liked

When I got back in the 5 I noted the steering felt very heavy compared to the A7 both are easy to get used to

The gearbox is much better than I expected but not as good as the ZF imo, I may change opinion on this as I get used to it, I preferred the electronic selector in the 5 and the fact you just turn the engine off and place in park.

MMI is intuitive , very fast to respond but I guess the 5 was 7 years old so it's to be expected

I have the widescreen but note the camera's on the A7 are poor in comparison to the 5, the quality is just not there, the screen is crisp with other things so it's just the camera's, something I will look into

Bose is better than I first thought, I've had the sub out of the boot to check the size (8') and again will look to buy a rear enclosure to lift it up into the luggage space, there's room for it on the rhs

I have the centre info system which displays Google maps etc and is a nice touch

Tailgate opens quite slow and the boot is cavernous, to the point I can't reach behind the seats so the squash rackets have been re deployed to the side

It has the autopark jobby but I've not tried that yet, probably never use it

Have it booked in next week for tints to the rear and have fitted the front dashcam, not sure where to put the rear yet

Oh, and the cup holders are too close together to get two Costa type cups in straight...

4 minutes ago, bmwmike said:

Loads of diesel A7's around here. Not as many as f10 520d's though 

They'll be in the garage, having the cambelts done... 

39 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Sorry but no. The F10 trumps your posh VW Passat CC in the looks dept!

Luckily for you, looks are subjective... 

2 hours ago, sshooie said:

They are all as bad, I'm not overly concerned about the mpg, in fact I have just coded the stop/start off yesterday. 

You'll be fine though, according to that news article it only affect A7s between 2010 and 2013 AND even if it did affect you, all you have to do is make sure you never turn the steering wheel more than 15 degrees while driving :lol:

Edited by Matthew Ashton

1 hour ago, Matthew Ashton said:

You'll be fine though, according to that news article it only affect A7s between 2010 and 2013 AND even if it did affect you, all you have to do is make sure you never turn the steering wheel more than 15 degrees while driving :lol:

Not read the article, but that must be to do with the transfer box causing drag when turning and effecting MPG?

23 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

I don't want to high-jack the thread, but are a lot of people on here located around Chester? 

South Yorkshire but will travel