bmwf113.0d

New car time - decisions decisions

What would you chose, interested to hear reasons for and against too please...  

34 members have voted

1. 1. For ease of answering, they would be all similar spec, age (15 plate ish) all 6 pot, all auto.

• BMW 535 touring
    • BMW 435 Grand Coupe
    • Audi 6 Avant 4wd
    • Audi A7 4wd
    • Mercedes CLS estate
    • VW Touareg (curve-ball)

7 hours ago, sshooie said:

I know it's hard to believe but I'm fastly approaching that bracket...

I'm 50

I thought you were only 46 or something.....oh dear, you are indeed approaching Jaaaaaagg ownership age.

You had better add an appropriate Jaaaaagg to that list then.:D

Edited by 535i Andrew

I like driving my Dad's XF but the truly horrible infotainment system is what would put me off ever owning one. In fairness, as I am sadly in the correct age bracket, that is the only thing that would put me off.

Slightly different but a friend had an X type (not a real Jag I know) and the system failed, this also controlled heating ventilation etc. and the cost was c£900 and that was quite a few years ago.

The systems in the new jags do remind me of some ching chong cobbled together Raspberry Pi system.

I am not correct age for the Jag but I would consider to buy one if it had better infotainment system and better built interior! Never drove one but everyone says it's superb, agile and compliant the same time! Got to take one for a test drive! :)

When I got my first F10, I remember saying to anyone that cared to listen that I couldn't see myself driving anything else ever again and whilst I see other cars that take my fancy I keep coming back to this point. For the money, I can't seem to find anything that has the same combination of quality, comfort and driver engagement.

Well, took an A7 for a drive today and i must say I was impressed with the drive, facelift model 270ish bhp and it went really well.

Very well screwed together with lots of kit, one thing I found strange was no folding mirrors and I think I'll struggle without as I've had them in the last 3-4 cars. The MMi was easy to use but a friend has a couple of A6's so I'm used to them.

Mrs S prefers the BMW but I must admit I'm quite smitten.

I expect they will call me later in the week as I shook hands and left after we couldn't meet on price, I wanted the two rear tyres replacing, not the end of the world but it was principle that they had put 2 new fronts on and the rears had signs of sidewall damage imo.

Keep looking

What engine is in the posh VW that gives you 270bhp, V6 single turbo Diesel?

You can bet your last pound that they will call you back nearer your price rather than theirs.  If they don't sell it tomorrow, they'll be on the phone looking for a deal before the end of the month.

Whats so essential about folding mirrors? Does it go in your garage? 

I'd rather a 640d over an A7 personally, not least due to the twin turbo engine. Driven a 335d with the same unit and suffice to say it does not hang around!

Good luck with the search.

38 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

What engine is in the posh VW that gives you 270bhp, V6 single turbo Diesel?

You can bet your last pound that they will call you back nearer your price rather than theirs.  If they don't sell it tomorrow, they'll be on the phone looking for a deal before the end of the month.

Whats so essential about folding mirrors? Does it go in your garage? 

Not sure tbf one of the new gen ones apparently, it's a June 2015 iirc, they do a BiTdi that's akin to the 535d in bhp, I also liked the grey leather...

This pulled really well and I was impressed with how quiet it was, they have acoustic glass and I suppose they don't suffer the noise from the estate I'm used to, even though I find mine very quiet. 

I'm conscious of the time of the month so to speak, hence my visit but after I thanked him and stood up he knocked off their 'admin fee' (£100 and I was aware of it, but the fee still boils my piss I just factored it into the price) he wouldn't budge any further. tbf I only wanted Yokohamas the same as the fronts @ c£130 per side so in effect I've walked for £160. 

I'm painting my mothers ceiling tomorrow, but if I get time there's a 535d nearish I may have a look at, as I say I'm in no rush and as time passes although my value drops, it's not as much as a newer car.

Arnold Shark up here have a screen price always ending in an "8" and supposedly they won't budge on the screen price which is meant to be very competitive.  any wriggle room is all done on the trade in value or % on the monthly payment.  These admin fee's are just a way to get money if the screen price is keen.

Again, quite common, when I bought the Mrs last car they wouldn't even throw in a tank of fuel, as long as you know it doesn't bother me. Arnold has just opened a massive multi sales place near us, must have a few hundred cars there and the building was purpose built, must have been a couple of mil. 

On 13/04/2018 at 9:25 AM, Matthew Ashton said:

The car with better infotainment and interior is made and its called... a 5 Series BMW

Is the F10 ice that great though?. I am not overly impressed. I had to upgrade the speakers on mine to get even acceptable sound quality.  The connected services don't seem to have any practical use. Its an ok system overall but nothing exceptional imho. It connects to my mobile but will not read read out texts or emails. It probably can be coded but it should be standard.  I have the pro system on a Luxury spec.  Why no sync button for the heater controls??  Why BMW why?      The interior is pretty solid and rattle free is a plus point and the seats comfortable enough.    I am of the age so may well go Jag next BMW seem dull in comparison. 

Edited by capese21

1 hour ago, capese21 said:

Is the F10 ice that great though?

The HK setup is OK. Can't say it's stellar but it makes it possible to enjoy music on the motorway and be able to hear some bass. I suspect better speakers would let the amp shine but I am OK with it.

The BMW is accepted as having the best car multimedia interface on the market. I have no need for emails nor texts to be read to me while driving and I have no other marque of car to compare it’s abilities in this area. 

The car is very well put together and for me, the Business speaker system, in my car, for a £350 odd charge when new, is pretty good value and sound. All depends what you are looking for. 

Edited by Matthew Ashton