bmwf113.0d

New car time - decisions decisions

What would you chose, interested to hear reasons for and against too please...  

34 members have voted

1. 1. For ease of answering, they would be all similar spec, age (15 plate ish) all 6 pot, all auto.

• BMW 535 touring
    • BMW 435 Grand Coupe
    • Audi 6 Avant 4wd
    • Audi A7 4wd
    • Mercedes CLS estate
    • VW Touareg (curve-ball)

1 hour ago, Matthew Ashton said:

An xDrive in snow with summer tyres will still slide around just with 4 wheels spinning instead of 2. Still need Winter tyres.

And

1 hour ago, sshooie said:

Yeah, I posted a YT video on an indoor ski slope that showed how cak 4wd were in comparison with just snow tyres

Indeed, it's all down to the tyres. A 4x4 car will never realise its full potential in the snow unless it has the correct boots on. My mums F30 320i xdrive was terrific in the snow with winter tyres. Whoever thought you could manoeuvre around a Golf that was sat spinning it's fronts helplessly in the snow, in a BMW?. You can if it's xdrive with winters.

This year is the first year I've driven my BMW with winter tyres in snow and the difference is really noticeable.

@sshooie, aren't your Audi choices 4x4? As you have quite rightly said minimum of a 6 pot, won't that put you in a Quattro? Don't they come standard as Quattro when you go up to 3.0d and at that level of Audi?

The whole point of an Audi is the Quattro system, if it's not a Quattro it's not worth owning, it's just an expensive VW.

Hmm.

I needed more space than my previous ride a 335i Touring could give, and narrowed my choices to a 535d Touring and an A6 Avant BiTdi. 

I have to say, I was smitten with the A6, mainly for its noise, which is better than the 535d.

However, the A6s are more expensive, and I found their specs confusing. I need my toys! Every single Audi main dealer I went to were complete time wasting arrogant tosspots. 

In the end, I am extremely happy with my fully loaded Battleship of choice - space grey 535d. The dealer was fantastic (I'm a fussy bugger) and it ticks more boxes than the A6. Just.

My only slight gripe is that the 535d doesn't quite feel rapid enough compared to the 335i, but it's not really a fair comparison.

As for the other contenders, you've got to love the look of the 435, the rest are just a pile of uninteresting carp from the Fatherland!

Edited by goram

Good to hear different views, we also run VW's and Skodas at work and by contrast we have very little issues, only 7 Octavia SE dsg estates for the engineers and they cover c40k pa with no dsg issues, in fact other than servicing they don't see the garage. 

As above the Mrs has worked for VW for around 14 years so I'm familiar with the marque hence looking at Audi and Touraegs. 

I wasn't looking for an x-drive either but I ended up buying one. One big advantage is that (on the F10 at least) you get proper hydraulic power steering. My current car has far better steering feel because of it, the electric one my previous F10 had wasn't as nearly as good (even with the m-sport suspension)

The 4 GC is a very different car to drive compared to the 5 series, it's worth a test drive as it definitely has a certain appeal. I drove one before buying my current car but the 5 series suits my needs more.

Haven't driven any of the other cars so can't comment on those.

My vote would be the A6 Avant Quattro. Good range of engines both petrol and diesel (including twin turbo if your budget allows and they REALLY move), but they're cavernous inside and well screwed together too. It'll be one of those for my next car I think. 

Pretty good looking too, they really suit black.

Edited by Mashed Potatoes

I put 535. Reason is I test drove a 435D X Drive Gran Coupe that I was seriously thinking of buying. I needed more boot space really but it is practical enough so I put the man-blinkers on. When I drove it, I was a bit disappointed ... It really felt the same as my E91 325i that I had at the time. Considering it was worth 10x the cost, it did not feel 10x the car. Also the X suspension lifted it up and it looked a bit high riding on the 19s and I thought I would never un-see the arch gap!

When I drove the F11, it just felt so much more refined and like I had taken a step up. The boot was the size I really needed as well so the deal was struck.

I have no experience of the other cars in the list.

I think as 5 Series drivers we would all struggle to drive a 3 or a 4.

When I had my E39, bring driven in an E46 was not a nice experience. My mum has owned an E90 and currently owns an F30 and I have driven both,  neither of which were/are as good as being in my E60 or F10. You can tell they have been built to more of a budget than their bigger brothers.

57 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

I think as 5 Series drivers we would all struggle to drive a 3 or a 4.

When I had my E39, bring driven in an E46 was not a nice experience. My mum has owned an E90 and currently owns an F30 and I have driven both,  neither of which were/are as good as being in my E60 or F10. You can tell they have been built to more of a budget than their bigger brothers.

Indeed. I had a blast in an '18 plate 330 xDrive earlier this week, and it felt so cramped by comparison. 

Perhaps the 535d is turning me into an old b'stard prematurely!

2 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Wildcard depending on budget and how much you drive, but what about an S6 Avant? 4.0 twin turbo V8 but still sleeper enough to pass under the radar to most people.

Maybe not very stealth like. A driver not too far away was hospitalised after having been attacked by someone who decided they would have his S6. 

10 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Wildcard depending on budget and how much you drive, but what about an S6 Avant? 4.0 twin turbo V8 but still sleeper enough to pass under the radar to most people.

Over my budget I think, I'm limited to £25k but good call.

4 minutes ago, jannism said:

FWIW I have exactly the same decision to make in October. I still have tunnel vision for a used 535d Touring.

Me too, I drive mine and think how nice it is, I don't need to change, it's a want thing and I'm using man logic to justify to myself.

If I keep mine then I have a few bits I need/ want to do.

Air con has gone again so probs a new condenser

Front bumper has some marks on it from some wood that flipped up, so I want a bumper off respray

Wheels stripping and coating

Gearbox service

Massive discounts on the VW Arteon here in France. I sat in a new R Line diesel bi turbo 210 bhp, black with sunroof. All up price €63,000, but on offer for €48,000.

Also there were loads of Passats, mainly estates, with at least €8000 off and Hybrids reduced by €9,000

Edited by Ram Rod

I do like the look of the 4’s (only real head-turner in the conventional BMW range imho) but am 6 months into a F11 535d and loving it. 

It’s no go-cart & too big to really enjoy back roads, but in all the places where you can actually use performance in the modern world (joining motorways, overtaking, blasting down dual carriageways at night) it’s astonishing. Plus mines in SE trim so has shocked a few chancers in its time.

Electric towbar is icing on the cake. 50 mpg if you want (haven’t seen that very often...).

Audi A6 as it has Quattro so gives you more grant, it looks nice too. If F10 had an xdrive I would already bought one as I need more traction than I have now and I have no money for a new 5er! :)

£25k would get you a current shape X5 or a really well spec’d XF estate both in 3.0 guise

Yeah, I don't like the XF, a friend has a XJ and that's a nice place to sit but impractical for me.

Although my budget is £25k, my mileage limit would be 40k and age >late 2014, never really looked at the x5's but the aforementioned would rule them out.