bmwf113.0d

New car time - decisions decisions

What would you chose, interested to hear reasons for and against too please...  

34 members have voted

1. 1. For ease of answering, they would be all similar spec, age (15 plate ish) all 6 pot, all auto.

• BMW 535 touring
    • BMW 435 Grand Coupe
    • Audi 6 Avant 4wd
    • Audi A7 4wd
    • Mercedes CLS estate
    • VW Touareg (curve-ball)

Looking to change the car now, needs to have space for a small dog so ideally an estate or hatch otherwise I'd be getting an A8 or 7 series.

What would you chose, interested to hear reasons for and against too please... 

Tough choice, i wish i had chosen the 535 Touring version of mine when it comes to camping and having a dog.  My car was advertised as having folding rear seats when it fact it didn't.

In short....I have been in all of them bar the Merc, i have to say i liked the A7 the most when it came to looks and the interior etc. My main criticism though is the cars feels massive!!! Even compared to my 5 series. 

oh forgot to mention it was the Audit A7 BiTDI that i was referring to, it think the one you were have in the selection is a single turbo. 

Yeah, I've had estates for the past 25 years, from being an engineer with company cars through the last 10 years or so every one has been an estate, even the Mrs likes estates.

I'd love an A8 or 7 series and I'm aware of the size, we were in a car park in Chester over the weekend and like all town centre car parks built in the 70's it was tiny. 

That is about the only time I use the surround view to good use (that and McD's) the road in was on a slope up and the kerbs were high and out of sight.

Once we were in and parked (I am OCD with parking, needing a good end space as a minimum, often leaving if I can't find one) the Mrs noticed a 7 series parked up and commented I'd be a nightmare in an even bigger bus.

4 minutes ago, roundy said:

oh forgot to mention it was the Audit A7 BiTDI that i was referring to, it think the one you were have in the selection is a single turbo. 

I'd prefer the BiTDi, price dependant. 

The only 6 pots I wouldn't have would be the lower BHP ones like the 201 and 215's, I'd feel like it was a step back imo.

535D -going to be fun finding one really. But IMO I would recommend it based on having the two turbos alone.

435 Gran Coupe - the interior from a 5 might upset you, unless it has been optioned well to include the nicer bits. Having been in a 1/2/3/4 I still felt underwhelmed by the interior and could not wait to get back in my 6GC.

A6 - not entirely knowledgeable, but probably similar to the A7 below.

A7 - I did consider one of these when looking at my 6GC, but most I saw were single turbo, I hated the backend and just something about it felt "meh". I never really gelled with it. Not sure on whether it was an 8HP ZF in these?

CLS Shooting Brake - rare as hens teeth. I did consider the normal CLS, but the engines were poor in comparison with the 35D/40D engine in having less power, more emissions and less MPG, I did have nerves over the gearbox as well as many merc boxes get very mixed reviews. Also, frustratingly many cars came with vinyl interior as standard, Artico, not even Dakota which like it or not is still at least a form of leather! 

Can i choose 2? Audi or the 535 Touring i agree :)

I saw a 535 Touring recently with the quad exhausts done , personal taste i know but i think it really suited the car. 

3 minutes ago, Ninja59 said:

535D -going to be fun finding one really. But IMO I would recommend it based on having the two turbos alone.

435 Gran Coupe - the interior from a 5 might upset you, unless it has been optioned well to include the nicer bits. Having been in a 1/2/3/4 I still felt underwhelmed by the interior and could not wait to get back in my 6GC.

A6 - not entirely knowledgeable, but probably similar to the A7 below.

A7 - I did consider one of these when looking at my 6GC, but most I saw were single turbo, I hated the backend and just something about it felt "meh". I never really gelled with it. Not sure on whether it was an 8HP ZF in these?

CLS Shooting Brake - rare as hens teeth. I did consider the normal CLS, but the engines were poor in comparison with the 35D/40D engine in having less power, more emissions and less MPG, I did have nerves over the gearbox as well as many merc boxes get very mixed reviews. Also, frustratingly many cars came with vinyl interior as standard, Artico, not even Dakota which like it or not is still at least a form of leather! 

I mirror your thinking almost exactly and will more than likely end up in a 535, the downside being the spec I currently have will be hard to find.

The 435 I also feel would be a compromise, I was hoping the xdrive would compensate as I have an itch for 4wd at the moment

A6 would realistically be the main contender against the 5 but only with a decent output and trim.

A7, I think they are deffo marmite but I sometimes struggle with the back end, but hey, I'm an estate man.

The Touareg is because I am pissed at the state of the roads around here and like the idea of big doughnut tyres, I've always liked the Touareg and as a plus the Mrs works for VW.

So this brings me onto the shooting brake, I think these are by far the best looking estate on the market at this price point imo, I see lots for sale but I think I will regret the drive compared to the 5.

My head says another 5 but I would like to try another marque and I don't really do test drives, I guess I need to sit in a couple.

I will be brutal in regards to the 4WD/AWD thing, I wanted RWD. I have driven a few xdrive models and felt underwhelmed and the driving experience left a lot to be desired as it never felt as "natural". But I have a bias and have never enjoyed any form of AWD/4WD.

Even with the 35D/40D I have never felt a need for xdrive. I cannot understand why BMW are pushing xdrive so much, but I suspect it involves the words "safety" and "winter". For many in the UK will mean no need to change tyres (not that it would have entered many minds). 

I think the surround view will be your problem in specification, honestly if keeping with BMW.

The A7 is not a bad car at all, but personal tastes all come into it. The CLS for me was ruled out on the gearbox, emissions, power and MPG. There was a shooting brake where I used to live in red very nice looking, but I just felt meh when I saw a GC. 

I will say though in regards to your OH comments about size, that yes any cars of the A7/CLS/6 (more so GC) are VERY large cars and struggle with some of the UK's narrower roads and car parks are an issue. To put it in context a 6GC is longer than the British Standard car parking space and many full size SUV's (think your XC90, current SWB Full Fat Range Rover)

535 (hoping that's an "i" but assuming D?) Touring, obvious choice but I like your thinking in the CLS.  That would be one of the Mercs I would have on my driveway (after the Merc McLaren SLR and the S63) I've been a passenger in a 350CLS saloon and it was a very nice place to be.  It was just like a bigger version of the C Class coupe my wife had.  It was smooth, powerful, quiet and very refined on the inside.

In all honesty, you have a fine selection there but go and drive them all (with the wife) and see which one you like the best. 

Just out of curiosity, why do you need to change now?  Are you over a mileage limit for use as a company car?  My company has a rule of must be below 90k.  

If your F11 ticks all the boxes and from what you have said about yours, you have a good few toys in it, why not just keep it?

Put the cat amongst the pigeons for a moment, if you want a 7 series comfort style, and if you can ignore the exterior to some degree you could always consider a 5GT?

lol, I don't filter down to petrol or diesel, I'd consider both but there is one petrol on the trader and it's been there an age.

I think I need to drive them but the Mrs doesn't really care tbh.

Only reason I am looking is want, not need, I've just ticked over 111k and we have no restrictions here (did @ the previous place but age not mileage)

"If your F11 ticks all the boxes and from what you have said about yours, you have a good few toys in it, why not just keep it?"

Did I marry you?

1 minute ago, Ninja59 said:

Put the cat amongst the pigeons for a moment, if you want a 7 series comfort style, and if you can ignore the exterior to some degree you could always consider a 5GT?

My boss has a (poorly looked after) 5gt and it doesn't do anything for me, they are very practical but just fugly, imo of course.

8 minutes ago, sshooie said:

"If your F11 ticks all the boxes and from what you have said about yours, you have a good few toys in it, why not just keep it?"

Did I marry you?

Thankfully not!  :D

But sometimes SWMBO is right, just for goodness sake don't ever tell her that!

8 minutes ago, sshooie said:

My boss has a (poorly looked after) 5gt and it doesn't do anything for me, they are very practical but just fugly, imo of course.

Agree with the looks, but you don't look at the mantle piece when you are poking the fire do you!

Still wouldn't have one and finding one with a 35d engine in it will be even harder than trying to find an F11 with a 35d engine.

4 minutes ago, Ninja59 said:

I was trying to gently avoid that topic. I do wish I could suggest a 6GC, but practical it is not.

That was on my earlier list tbf I like the look of those, just a tad old man ish, it wouldn't put me off but I don't see anyone under 50 driving them.

6GC over 50 demographic? Most I know on 6post are early 30's! (I am only 28!)

The real issue is they can fit a lot in, they do have good capacity. It is just the entry to said areas to hold stuff are tight. Even a wooden bird feeder (about 6 foot) with a little house bit and extended base at the weekend took negotiating in the car.

Getting the 35D/40D is easy though, as nearly all of them are 40D's. Furthermore, they do not sell well so discounts off even young cars are good (and production ends soon).

Edited by Ninja59

57 minutes ago, Ninja59 said:

Even with the 35D/40D I have never felt a need for xdrive. I cannot understand why BMW are pushing xdrive so much, but I suspect it involves the words "safety" and "winter". For many in the UK will mean no need to change tyres (not that it would have entered many minds). 

An xDrive in snow with summer tyres will still slide around just with 4 wheels spinning instead of 2. Still need Winter tyres.

1 hour ago, Matthew Ashton said:

An xDrive in snow with summer tyres will still slide around just with 4 wheels spinning instead of 2. Still need Winter tyres.

Yip, I've got a video of my neighbour trying to get his 335d xDrive out his drive a couple of weeks ago in the snow with little success, just spinning his four wheels and sliding towards his fence.  Whereas my F11 on its Dunlop Wintersport 3D's never even spun a wheel and charged through the snow.

Anyway, as for the new car, the Merc would be a strong contender for me.

1 hour ago, Matthew Ashton said:

Oh i could agree and I do. Coming from someone who is a Winter tyre fan (and user) saves my 20 inch Summer tyres from the worst of the weather and potholes.

Audi, I have a number of 3.0 Tdi’s (A4 + A6 saloons and estates) on my fleet at work, personally I wouldn’t touch one with a barge pole, DSG gearbox is a great big tale of woe and expense, plus some of the design lacks any common sense whatsoever when it comes to maintenance/repair. For example on the A4 if the front sidelights aren’t led and one blows, to replace the bulb you need to remove the headlight whereupon on the underside you’ll see a round shape resembling the usual rubber bung you remove to gain access to the bulb except VAG in their infinite wisdom didn’t cut out the hole,,, leaving that to the owner. Initially when the cars were up to a couple of years old, Audi would sell you a rubber bung to bung up the hole you’ve had to cut out in order to reseal the headlight. However Audi no longer offer the rubber bung so every time a front sidelight bulb blows = complete new headlight unit. 

In addition what exactly do you get quality wise when you buy an Audi? A Skoda? VW or Seat? Many of the parts are fitted to all of the brands, the A4’s at work were made in the Czech Replublic so badged Audi, made by Skoda!

Re the Mercedes CLS, the low rear window means you’ll be struggling to fit a dog any taller than a Dachshund in the boot, my Airedale would be pinned flat on the boot floor in one of those.