Jump to content
Busterbvi

REAR SHELF SPEAKERS & REVERSE CAMERA

Recommended Posts

The rear struts are being changed soon so the back seat and rear parcel shelf is coming out to get access to the strut top mounts.

While I am at it, I fancy upgrading the parcel shelf speakers for something the same size but with better bass. Any recommendations ?

 

Due to an old Rugby shoulder injury, I have difficulty turning to look while reversing so while I am back there achieving, I am thinking of installing 

a discrete rear camera in preparation for connecting up to a new Android head unit I will be shoving in later. A neat instal into the headlining rear 

edge above the center headrest, something like this ...

 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Universal-Reversing-Parking-Assiatance-Waterproof/dp/B013AUMV12/ref=sr_1_61?ie=UTF8&qid=1522839723&sr=8-61&keywords=Wireless+reversing+camera

 

Or this. 

 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Votteo-Definition-Universal-Parking-Waterproof-Mushroom-Style/dp/B01N2YB08Q/ref=sr_1_135?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1522841469&sr=1-135&keywords=reversing+camera

 

Or this sitting the shelf on top of the center brake light hump.

 

 https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rover®-Universal-Backup-Camera-Waterproof/dp/B0725ZTLWP/ref=sr_1_200_sspa?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1522841716&sr=1-200-spons&keywords=reversing%2Bcamera&th=1

 

And this wireless kit to save running wires. (Apart from a power wire to the reversing light)

 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CIpotZIZ-Wireless-Transmitter-Receiver-Reversing/dp/B01LNMORNY/ref=sr_1_35?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1522841066&sr=1-35&keywords=reversing+camera

 

Or  possibly this into the center of the rear bumper between the PDC sensors but I dont really want to spoil the nice aesthetics of the car.

 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Backup-Camera-Universal-Parking-Vehicle/dp/B01GYSJN3G/ref=sr_1_120?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1522841236&sr=1-120&keywords=reversing+camera

 

There are other options to fit one incorporated into the number plate light but  again it might spoil the look.

 

Anyone done something similar to a saloon ?

 

 

Edited by Busterbvi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chances are the new aftermarket android unit will have a better amp built into it with more power than the crappy old factory unit...so this alone should boost the output of your standard speakers - i know mine did. I've got an aftermarket Chinese unit fitted into mine and the sound difference was immediately noticeable.

 

As for the rear camera - i think its better outside the car rather than inside as this will give you a better scale when reversing.

 

There are plenty options available:

 

1. The ones that replace the license plate bulbs on the rear. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rover-Rear-View-Backup-Camera/dp/B0154L86YQ/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1522853908&sr=1-7&keywords=e39+reversing+camera

2. The boot release handle can now have them built it (on my hit list for the summer) https://www.amazon.co.uk/HDMEU-Reversible-Integrated-Reversing-Waterproof-Model-1-LS8003-110-40-mm/dp/B07917R45J/ref=sr_1_12?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1522853936&sr=1-12&keywords=e39+reversing+camera

3. Currently i have a one similar to what you posted and ive installed it under the rear bumper so its nice and low and out the way. Not ideal but i also didnt want to drill the bumper (titan silver) and then have an obvious black circle (camera) in the middle.

Edited by Marc_86
links

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Marc, I know what you mean with the Chinese head unit, I put one in my Focus and there was a nice improvement in sound

and you can tweak it to your liking with the equaliser. I was thinking that there may be better speakers that are popular with owners 

that I could fit while I've got it stripped out.

 

I'm not really clued up on reversing cameras so I was wondering if it could be set up inside to allow for the length of the boot when

reversing up to something so the warning tone goes constant when approx 2 feet away from an object ?  If not, it will have to go

outside, maybe on the diffuser but I didn't want to drill anything.  Maybe a boot handle or number plate light one but I dont like the

look of those. I saw a number plate one on a E39 saloon a few days ago and my eye was drawn straight to it because it looked odd.

 

This handle one is not too bad.                                                                                                                                                                                                            

 

 

BMW Boot handle cam.jpg

 

Or this one

 

BMW Handle cam 2.jpg

Edited by Busterbvi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's what i was thinking...you would always have to account for the length of the boot. So where the coloured lines on the screen indicate your position - it would always seem further away that you actually were...but yes the PDC will come in handy too.

 

I'm not a fan of the license plate bulb ones either - as you can never seem to match the light colour

 

Ill be replacing mine with the boot release handle in the summer - i think this is the most discrete option.

 

If i were you - i would drill into the black centre lower part of the msport bumper - then it would be quite hard to see the camera as it would match in colour. If in the future you dont like it - im sure you can buy replacement sections without changing the whole bumper. I dont have the luxury of this due to SE bumpers. 

 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E39-SPORT-DIFFUSOR-BLACK-FOR-REAR-BUMPER-SALOON-ESTATE-for-M-TECH-M5-520-530/222632092246?hash=item33d5e82256:g:KkEAAOSwNmxZqp5~

Edited by Marc_86
link added

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is my diffuser which was, sadly, cut for a tow bar which has now come off. I have another good diffuser on the way so now I am wondering if I could make a square recessed housing

in the cut out to accommodate a flush fitting circular camera.

 

The other thought I had was to fit the circular flush fit cam into the square pop out panel that covers the towing eye fitting.

 

 

20180404_165839.jpg

Edited by Busterbvi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about this for an idea ?  I found a round flush fit cam which is 20.5mm, a tad smaller than the PDC sensor.  One of my sensors is a bit corroded and needs replacing anyway, what if I replace it with a cam and paint the other silver coloured but good sensor black to match?

Not sure if the PDC system will work with one sensor out ?

 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Raysell-Waterproof-Vision-Reversing-Parking/dp/B01C2GJ3YI/ref=sr_1_57?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1522860204&sr=1-57&keywords=reversing+camera

 

 

BMW Bumper Cam.jpg

Edited by Busterbvi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Busterbvi said:

How about this for an idea ?  I found a round flush fit cam which is 20.5mm, a tad smaller than the PDC sensor.  One of my sensors is a bit corroded and needs replacing anyway, what if I replace it with a cam and paint the other silver coloured but good sensor black to match?

Not sure if the PDC system will work with one sensor out ?

 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Raysell-Waterproof-Vision-Reversing-Parking/dp/B01C2GJ3YI/ref=sr_1_57?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1522860204&sr=1-57&keywords=reversing+camera

 

 

BMW Bumper Cam.jpg

All 8 have to work otherwise none will im afraid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

 

You won't get 'better bass' from upgrading just the rear parcel shelf speakers. Any improvement will be relatively marginal however you'll get a 'noticeable' improvement in midrange and treble performance. Don't expect impressive improvements though !

 

To get better bass response in the E39, you do need to add a subwoofer solution. The 'best' route for this is to have a small sealed enclosure that fits up tightly against the rear seat bulkhead and use the ski hatch hole to have a 8/10/12 inch subwoofer 'play through it'. This method means 100% bass transfer into the cabin, takes up relatively little space if you use a good quality subwoofer that works in very small enclosures, is cost effective and relatively easy to install. Other 'ways' exist but they're not as good or efficient. 

 

I'd also suggest upgrading the front end to 2 way components and ditch the oem plastic enclosure. There's a cheap pair of MDF baffles for around £17 on ebay and they provide a more solid 'base' for the upgraded speakers to play on - the result is much better mid bass performance - again, don't expect 'good bass' from the front end. You don't need to go too far with the rears, so a £30-60 set of 5.25 inch co-axials will be fine - spend as much as you can/want on the front end 2 way 5.25 inch components and then in due course add in the subwoofer aspect.

 

Overall, you'll get a noticeable improvement over the oem setup, but actual Sound Quality will be quite hampered given the cheap chinese head unit you'll be using as the use internal electronics and IC's that are 'generic' level in quality. Your speakers and sub will sound/perform better with a reputable brand head unit which will have much better SQ in comparison.

 

Cheers, Dennis!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i hooked up a wireless sender first to test one  and it  worked  fine .

i have a touring so a bit more hassle wiring, 

if takeing a live feed from reversing light wire there is some talk about this extra resistance causeing light out warning on dash (will report back on this one)

so when i get round to instaling i'am going to run the live via a relay, and see if that works

as for the cam i got 3 to test all ok but the handle one no good for a touring so that got put in draw and forgot about :mellow:

one with a big hole curvy as per 1 photo above .  and one that requires a hole approx 6-7 mm thats the one i'am going to use

hopefully  weather permitting  should be this weekend :mellow: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, DennisCooper said:

Hi,

 

You won't get 'better bass' from upgrading just the rear parcel shelf speakers. Any improvement will be relatively marginal however you'll get a 'noticeable' improvement in midrange and treble performance. Don't expect impressive improvements though !

 

To get better bass response in the E39, you do need to add a subwoofer solution. The 'best' route for this is to have a small sealed enclosure that fits up tightly against the rear seat bulkhead and use the ski hatch hole to have a 8/10/12 inch subwoofer 'play through it'. This method means 100% bass transfer into the cabin, takes up relatively little space if you use a good quality subwoofer that works in very small enclosures, is cost effective and relatively easy to install. Other 'ways' exist but they're not as good or efficient. 

 

I'd also suggest upgrading the front end to 2 way components and ditch the oem plastic enclosure. There's a cheap pair of MDF baffles for around £17 on ebay and they provide a more solid 'base' for the upgraded speakers to play on - the result is much better mid bass performance - again, don't expect 'good bass' from the front end. You don't need to go too far with the rears, so a £30-60 set of 5.25 inch co-axials will be fine - spend as much as you can/want on the front end 2 way 5.25 inch components and then in due course add in the subwoofer aspect.

 

Overall, you'll get a noticeable improvement over the oem setup, but actual Sound Quality will be quite hampered given the cheap chinese head unit you'll be using as the use internal electronics and IC's that are 'generic' level in quality. Your speakers and sub will sound/perform better with a reputable brand head unit which will have much better SQ in comparison.

 

Cheers, Dennis!

 

Thanks Dennis, good info, can you post some links to the gear you recommend ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can anyone confirm if taking a power feed for a reversing cam off the reversing light power wire will bring up a dash warning ?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Busterbvi said:

Can anyone confirm if taking a power feed for a reversing cam off the reversing light power wire will bring up a dash warning ?

 

 

Nope - no errors.

 

You might want to install a relay as sometimes you can see faint scrolling horizontal lines on your stereo screen when engine running.

Edited by Marc_86
cant spell ha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×