R44M BM

Restoring OEM M-Audio Components

Hi

Luckily, my E39 M5 was equipped with the M-Audio package however the previous owner decided to remove all the boot components (BM54, Nav, TMC/TV Tuner) leaving me with nothing but a 16:9 headunit :mellow:

Over the past few months i have acquired:

• BM54
  • TV Tuner Module
  • MK4 Nav
  • CD Changer

I have fitted these all in and I am getting a blank screen still on the headunit. The headunit is getting power (the buttons light up) and I do get a different black screen (slightly lighter black screen as if the headunit is getting power but no source) however nothing!

Multimeter shows power is going to all the components in the boot / headunit and I have:

• checked all the fuses
  • unplugged everything and connected just the TV tuner
  • unplugged battery for a few hours

....still nothing!

My next task is to eliminate faulty components one by one.

It could only be the headunit itself or the TV tuner faulty correct?

A bit of a long shot but anyone in the Essex / East London area able to help me out ?

Ideally would like to plug a known working headunit and TV tuner to isolate my issue!!

Edited by R44M BM

I don't think you need the TV tuner module, unless you have got a digital one, the unit won't be doing anything as there is no analogue TV broadcast any more, so you can bypass that straight away. The display on the head unit comes from the nav. 

thanks for the reassurance, i got the feeling my 16:9 oem headunit may be faulty !! just need to find one to test!

7 minutes ago, lufbramatt said:

I don't think you need the TV tuner module, unless you have got a digital one, the unit won't be doing anything as there is no analogue TV broadcast any more, so you can bypass that straight away. The display on the head unit comes from the nav. 

Edited by R44M BM

M-Audio uses the DSP amp, so you'll need that too. Have you got the two 10" subs under the parcel shelf?

39 minutes ago, Liam79 said:

M-Audio uses the DSP amp, so you'll need that too. Have you got the two 10" subs under the parcel shelf?

I sure do have the amp, the two subs are missing for now however I would have thought no subs would have not stopped the system from powering up?

Hi,

It'd possible and 'more likely' nowadays that one or more of the modules is failing/failed and it's why the setup isn't working properly. You'll need to begin fault finding. It's 'possible' that one o more of the the M Audio loom wiring wires has been cut or is chafing so you'll perhaps want to check more continuity, Check that the GPS antenna is also still in place and connected as well as the FM/AM antenna etc. Once you know or are confident the loom is all good, you'll need to do what you are thinking, which is to swap each module with a known working unit. If one or more modules are faulty then you'll need to find a known working DSP amp (these are getting thinner on the ground as more of them go faulty with age - no one refurbishes/repairs them) and/or the other modules and you should find it all works again. If not, then you'll need to delve further in as it'll be a specific issue on your car. The OEM setup is modular & electronically specific, so it's 'possible' that without the M Audio subs the system won't power up properly. 

Good call from Lufbramatt in that you can remove the TV tuner when fault finding as it's not needed to make the setup work. 

By the way, which 'actual' head unit are you referring to? I suspect it's an aftermarket one, it won't be the OEM one as it won't work without the rest of the OEM setup. There may be an 'extension cable' plugged into the rear loom, so unplug that in order you can re-attach the OEM amplifer module/monitor cables (two of those) etc. 

Good luck !

Cheers, Dennis!

16 hours ago, R44M BM said:

I sure do have the amp, the two subs are missing for now however I would have thought no subs would have not stopped the system from powering up?

Yeah I doubt lack of subs should stop the whole system working. I can test later on mine by disconnecting the DSP sub.

Looks like faulty head unit I agree. I would expect something displayed on the screen on power up even if other stuff is missing, no audio etc etc. Piper on here has retrofitted DSP into non DSP cars so he is probably the expert on how things should behave - maybe send him a PM.

If the car originally had Traffic Master, make sure that module is removed and by passed.  The TM, TV and Nav are all daisy chained in that order, so make sure the blue plug from the car loom is connected to the blue socket on the Nav.

Hi all,

thank you for those who responded.

An eventful weekend to say the least! :)

I finally discovered why I had no communication within INPA to:

• ANY of the A/V components (Nav / Monitor / AMP)
  • PDC
  • LCM

Removed the passenger seat and got underneath the carpet to where we saw that someone prior to my ownership decided to (blindly) drill in the lambda probe loom from underneath the car and decided to conveniently drill some of the interior harness.

A few of the wires were exposed - we carried out a repair to the wires and like magic, everything worked!

as expected, the M Audio sounds decent, nothing compared to my B+O system in my Audi which is 10 years newer but that is to be expected.

For an OEM system in 2002, it sounds good. 

My next mission is to find a pair of sub woofers!

:D