Sign in to follow this  
Retset

CarPro HydrO2 (Lite)

I've seen a few videos, including one from a detailing guru, which show Hydro2 in action. Hydro 2 is a concentrate and Lite is a 'ready mixed'. Looks like you simply spray onto a clean car, hit with a pressure washer and rinse off for up to 3 months silica protection/beading/gloss.

Whilst I know how to detail, and own plenty of stuff, it's not something I enjoy doing and I especially hate waxing the whole vehicle.

I need to remove the whole of the winter crud from my F11 and am thinking of buying some Hydro2 and doing the following:

Foam

Two bucket wash

Iron X whole car and rinse

Autowheel on wheels (just more Iron X really ...) and rinse

Tar remover on lower parts

Clay whole car quickly using clay mitt and soapy water

IPA wipe/Bilt Hamber cleanser, just to remove any wax that survived the winter and the above

Treat with Hydro 2 (body and wheels)

The thinking is that all I will need to do every 3 months after is wash and treat with Hydro2 and do a decon once a year.

Just wondering if anybody has any experience of the product that they'd like to share or comments on my proposed method.

I don't use Hydro2 but Gyeon do a similar product - Wetcoat.

Actually did my car at the weekend - rinse with pressure washer, wash with GTechniq G Wash, rinse again, loosely dry off and then apply Wetcoat with a mitt (gives better coverage), rinse with PW to activate then dry.

I always dry afterwards because otherwise you end up with water spots.

I ordered some!

I also ordered some CarPro TRIX which is basically IronX and TarX in one bottle. My plan is

Foam

TBW

Decon wheels with BH AutoWheel (they are minging) then TRIX for any tar spots

Decon paint with TRIX

Clay whole car quickly with Farecla clay mitt which I bought 2 years ago but is still in it's packaging!

Quick TBW

A quick go over with BH Cleanser to remove any wax that survived the winter and all the above

HydrO2

Then I may well do the glass with Invisible glass/clay/Invisible Glass/RainX, although I still need to buy the RainX

I'm also going to do the same on my wife's car.

Hopefully, after this, it can just a quick HydrO2 every 3 months!

It doesn't last anywhere near 3 months in my experience!. Very good when applied, and may help when you wash the car the next time, but the longevity of the Hydro2 is No where near as good as a well waxed car..

It's a quick alternative, but a very expensive way of keeping a car clean imho. 

Gyeon Wetcoat is only £10 so relatively cheap. GTechniq C2v3 will give you longevity - 6 months I tend to find. I use Gyeon in the winter and GTechniq in summer.

RainX doesn't last that long either. I use Aquapel - supply in the UK is tricky, I've imported from US before. One application will easily last 6 months.

TBH I've seen this stuff in action, so to speak and it looks very good

But the folk I know who have used it all said it doesn't last very long at all either and get the same results with Autoglym's Aqua Wax and RainX on the windscreen and rear screen etc

I do this on the wifes Jazz and it's a bliss to wash as the dirt hardly get's a good hold. I use the Aqua Wax every other 2nd/3rd wash and the bottle lasts ages too!

Well, I bought it but have not got round to doing it yet as I need a free day as I need a full decon/clay etc.

I have also bought a 10m rubber reinforced hose for the Nilfisk as I am fed up of the tangle and hassle with the supplied 5m plastic one.

My plan, once back to bare paint is to apply the HydrO2 Lite and then do the same every time I wash the car (I only wash it every month or two) so I don't think longevity will be an issue. Plan is to finish the bottle then decide whether to get some full strength HydrO2 and re-use the bottle, go back to the BH Double Speed Wax or convert to a durable sealant like JetSeal 109 or Menzerna Power Lock.

Edit: I finally sorted an old cupboard in the garage so I now have a car detailing cupboard :) . Good news is I can find stuff now. Bad news is the distressing number of half finished products.

Edited by Retset

On 4/16/2018 at 10:16 AM, d_a_n1979 said:

TBH I've seen this stuff in action, so to speak and it looks very good

But the folk I know who have used it all said it doesn't last very long at all either and get the same results with Autoglym's Aqua Wax and RainX on the windscreen and rear screen etc

I do this on the wifes Jazz and it's a bliss to wash as the dirt hardly get's a good hold. I use the Aqua Wax every other 2nd/3rd wash and the bottle lasts ages too!

Guess it depends what you are looking for but preparation is the key with any product.

I tend to top it up after every wash so haven't really had any issues but I can see what you mean.

On 4/16/2018 at 10:55 AM, Retset said:

Edit: I finally sorted an old cupboard in the garage so I now have a car detailing cupboard :) . Good news is I can find stuff now. Bad news is the distressing number of half finished products.

Problem is the size of the cupboard because if it's big you'll spend a fortune on filling it up with stuff you then never use. My advice - get used to a system (range of products) and stick to it !!

18 hours ago, Coops said:

My advice - get used to a system (range of products) and stick to it !!

This is good advice. I used to buy mainly Meguiars, then mainly Bilt Hamber and now a couple of bottles of CarPro stuff! TBH, I wish I'd also bought CarPro Eraser as it looks a good deal quicker to use than the BH equivalent that I own ... but I can't just keep accumulating bottles!

Good news is that it's a very small cupboard indeed so there is not room for much more :) More good news is that my new PW hose arrives soon so I'll wash the car to try it out. No time today for a full decon etc. plus (yay!) it's too sunny. Can't say that often ...

I did it!

I spent all evening on the car, finishing just in time to see what I had achieved before it went dark!

This was the process. The car was last washed in October and treated to BH Double SpeedWax for the winter. It was minging!

1. Wheels treated with Bilt Hamber Autowheel. Purple waterfalls! Pressure wash off. Washed with a separate bucket and dried
  2. Pressure wash body followed by BH Autofoam
  3. Pressure wash followed by two bucket wash using BH shampoo (forget the name, the concentrated stuff)
  4. MF cloth dry
  5. Treat the whole car with CarPro TRIX to remove iron and tar. I was most disappointed that there seemed to be no contaminants in the paint. There was one purple streak and two brown ones! Pressure wash off after 5 minutes
  6. Clay car with Farecla Clay Mitt. The car was hardly rough at all under a nitrile glove so this task was very quickly achieved using a bucket of very soapy water (BH stuff again). This doubled as a post decon wash. Pressure wash off and dry with MF. The Mitt is awesome, 1000x times easier than a clay bar.
  7. Liberally cover all panels with BH Cleanser to remove any stubborn waxes etc. that survived the winter and all the above stages.
  8. Pressure wash individual panels followed by spritzing with HydrO2, activated and surplus removed with pressure washer. Same on wheels. It was fun watching the surface go instantly hydrophobic like on the videos I have watched! I did the side and rear glass. Despite trying to miss the windscreen, I think it is probably partially treated so may need a claybar, followed by the RainX/Aquapel that I haven't bought yet ... 

I am hoping it will last 3 months but will be content with 2. It's great knowing that all I will have to do is wash and spend all of 5 extra minutes applying HydrO2 as part of the drying process in the future.

I'm going to do the same treatment, probably missing out TRIX except on the lower surfaces, to my wife's car so that our every day cars will be easy maintenance.

My Elise looks lovely but has a lot of swirls visible in the sun so I'll work through the other polishes and waxes that I own on that car. I don't think the complex shape will lend itself to the DA so it will probably be a panel here and a panel there by hand as I feel like it.

Any pictures of the finished result?

I've not tried a Farcela Clay Mitt but heard good things - I'll probably try one on the F11 replacement later this year.

PM sent ref Aquapel 

Edited by Coops

It was a bit too late to take photos when I finished so I took one this afternoon, complete with that dust that always seems to appear on sunny days. Also a few drying marks that I missed last night but don't think they show up on an iPhone photo :)

I'm very pleased with the finish. Do try the mitt, Coops. Claying the car took about as long as the TBW part of the wash process. I haven't clayed a car for years, even though I own BH clay, as it was too much of a pain in the arse. With the mitt, it's a whole other story.

Writing PM reply now ...

APC_0121.jpg

^^ looks great. I do much prefer the M Sport front bumper/valance. Mine is an SE and it just doesn't look at nice iMO.