Bumbaclut

Project bites off more than can chew

I've been quiet of late on the E34 front as i've A) been very stupid  or B ) made a good move!

20170409_110339_zps0jeoyuqv.jpg

Sold my much loved 6 speed M5 last summer. To fund a new E34 project i was offered

D7DA8F56-4880-4807-ADD9-15FBB9BAAA90_zps

And bought this touring?  Its a LHD avus blue 525i or so it was when it left the factory

03JAhH7z_zpsy6jjv3kr.jpg

Take one very crashed/written of Alpina Bi turbo #389 and fit all of its mechanicals into said car above, 

IMG_8484_zpsjw7qmb3g.jpg

IMG_8484_zpsjw7qmb3g.jpg

Its not finished and this all started over 9 years ago.  That where i come in like a mug.   Now i've had this since september just gone and the main stumbling block is the electrics as its a hybrid of M50 M30.  No tourings had M30s from factory let alone with two turbos!! Alot of it is plug and play but........there are some differences. 

So thats my first goal is to get the electrics working as it all should and then sort the mechanicals. Getting the engine to crank over would be a huge start!!  

I'm in need of a body control module as the one i have had died over winter.  I've firstly been getting all the cars normal features to work, so lights, wipers etc. Indicators is proving a problem

Anyhow my main question is this can anyone tell me the type name of this plug on the body loom is? Like X26 etc

20180403_191649_zps8hxwpmoi.jpg

20180403_191803_zps54frc1mp.jpg

Locates in the drivers footwell on LHD but these plugs on RHD cars are behind the glovebox.  Its the white ones that are the problem, one side i have two plugs (M30) and the cars (M50) body loom has 1 plug and to help they are both different sizes.  This can be sorted but i need to identify the plug type so i can check wiring diagrams from both cars and see what needs to bee connected and what won't be.

Any help on this is gratefully recieved. This is wholly into the unknown and not many people have put an M30 into tourings over the years let alone a smashed up bi turbo.  Right now i miss the M5 more than ever as it worked!  Its gone now so i need to re motivate on this pile of bits/shit.   

Edited by Bumbaclut

Simon, at last we can talk about this car.  I've seen it in the flesh, when done, it's going to be one fantastic tourer.

Anyway, first off which loom is M30 and which is M50? 

You can see here that the M30 535i has three main looms, the front loom, the rear loom and the dash loom.

http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E34-Sedan/Europe/535i-M30/L/browse/vehicle_electrical_system/main_wiring_harness_3#1391492_1

Here's the M50 main wiring diagram, interstingly the front looms were common to 525i and 535i.

http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E34-Sedan/Europe/535i-M30/L/browse/vehicle_electrical_system/main_wiring_harness_3#1391492_1

I also have in front of me a folder containing a genuine BWM electrical trouble shooting manual.  Fortuitously it is dated 1992 and covers both the 525i and 535i.

Am hoping it will prove useful to you.

Geoff

10 hours ago, Dongiov said:

it's going to be one fantastic tourer.

Touring. It's not Rover junk! :-)

I would do a full loom swap from an M30 car. Annoying as I broke a 535i recently. Later cars from around d 1991 went over to an E36 style set up but the Bentley manual with a multitude of wiring diagrams  might help you modify the existing loom.

Sir Anthony Regents-Park, I see from various E34 brochures that you are right and that BMW did take the Er out and put the Ing in.  But I was referring to the car, not the model, so I used the correct noun to describe the vehicle.  If Simon gets it working, then when he uses it, he is "touring".  Just because BMW don't know the difference between a verb and a noun doesn't mean we should all make the same mistake.  They are German after all, what what.

P.S.  It's cold and wet here and I have nothing better to do than pontificate on this!

Geoff this shines light!!

I know that this touring is now all M30 front loom, the rear is all M50 still and the middle part of the car is both, i guess thats the dash part.   I've had help on this but said person took the paper with him so rather than pester i'm going to try and do it this way.   It also makes sense that they don't quite work. thanks

Simon, quite honestly I would love to pop over and give you a hand to help resolve the issues with this project but I am currently working every hour God sends to keep my family fed and covered by a roof. If that changes at all I will let you know asap.

On 04/04/2018 at 10:35 PM, Bumbaclut said:

I've not touched it over winter, used the big boot for storage!

Snap - my E34 is sort of used for some storage as my garage isn't big enough. Although it is mainly car cleaning stuff, some tools, things to fit to the car and cycling gear. Can also use it as a hiding place for things I haven't told the girlfriend I have bought for the cars.